Chit Chat

Gift idea for FI

hi everyone,
Did you exchange gift with your groom/bride? If you did, what was it? 
I have a few ideas as to what I can get my FI but I’m on a tight budget. So some of the things I know he would go crazy for (expensive watch) is just not something I can budget in so close to our wedding. It’s in June. So I’m just wondering what are  few of your ideas out there...if that is still a thing anymore.
one thing I was considering  as cuff links (he’s wearing a tux) or a neck tie pin that has a pressed piece of my dress inside. 
Something else I was considering was trying to get him an exotic car driving experience.
thanks for sharing thoughts and ideas!

Re: Gift idea for FI

• TBH, I've always thought it was a bit odd for a bride/groom to exchange gifts.  But, of course, there's nothing wrong with it either and some people do it.

My H and I talked about it ahead of time and mutually decided we weren't going to get gifts for each other.

Unless you truly want to exchange gifts, why not have a similar discussion?  Like, "FI, I hope you don't mind, but with finances being so tight for the wedding, I'd like to forego getting each other gifts."

However, if exchanging gifts is something important to you all, the neck tie pin with a pressed piece of your dress inside sounds like a special and meaningful gift.  In fact, if you all don't do gifts, save that idea for a first anniversary gift.  I think it's great! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    H and I didn’t exchange gifts...our honeymoon was kind of our joint gift to each other.  Maybe just hone in on his interests, something he’d enjoy?
  • We didn't really exchange gifts, though I thought about it.  Originally, I wanted to get him a little tree sapling.  We were landscaping our yard at the time and thought it would be nice to plant a tree as a gift.  Never got around to it.  

We got married in Hawaii, so I got him a little thing for each day to do with travelling and/or Hawaii for most of the month leading up to when we left.  Coconut flavoured soap, magazine for the plane, macadamia nuts, etc.  

• My FI and I haven't talked about this yet, but I guarantee he doesn't know this is a thing, and think I'm going to suggest we forgo gifts and just write heartfelt notes to eachother. That way we have something to read in the morning that feels special but doesn't cost any money
  • My H and I didn't - we considered it but opted out - but I know my parents did. Most people that I know my age - 30 - didn't exchange gifts unless there was a cultural/religious reason.
  • I gave my husband an engraved knife (about $60) since he carries a knife for work and did a buodoir shoot for him - he didn't get me anything.  I LOVE giving gifts and I know it's stressful for him so we did what made us both happy. Point is, I think as long as you're both on the same page, you don't have to do anything, and if you do, it doesn't have to be super expensive.