Wedding Woes

Drunk driving friends

2»

Re: Drunk driving friends

• Our catholic high school has a big fundraising party every year and the liquor flows. However, a lot of the parents rent limos and I'm assuming now use Uber. Uber wasn't a thing when we were there. We never over imbibed but I think as long as you plan on how you get are going to get home safely adults can drink.

I am particularly sensitive to this because I will never forget the sound of my very close cousin crying/howling at his son's funeral. His son was killed by a drunk driver (an adult man) about a week after he graduated from high school. It certainly caused me to have several conversations with my own kids over the years about drinking and driving. They were all younger than my cousin's son. It was not a conversation I was happy to have but it was necessary.
  • baconsmom said:
    I honestly don't see the problem (and don't get the judgment) about drinking at the fundraiser? Most fundraisers we attend do have open bar, and while not a party bus, who cares why people are drinking or if they're getting drunk. 

I judge the hell out of the drunk driving, but what's wrong with the parents having a fun night out? 
    "Drinking", to me, is having, oh, like 2-4 cocktails over the course of an evening. There's no "pre-gaming" or "post-gaming" or staying at someone's house, because I'm an adult with children. I don't understand how it's *possible* to drink so much and not suffer, but maybe my hangovers are really terrible, I don't know. It's just so bad for you to binge like that, and going out with the express purpose of getting wasted drunk is just...immature, IMO. 
    2-4 cocktails is exactly the amount that would put me over the edge of drunkenness because I am a lightweight that does not drink often.  I am an adult with children and grandchildren, and have absolutely ZERO idea why that should make any difference when it comes to my alcoholic intake.