Flowers

Mismatched bridesmaids & all bouquets

I want to make the bouquets along with my sister to save on costs and time. That being said each of my bridesmaids has the same dress in a different color. There’s three colors. Light pink, light purple, and a medium purple. I am having a hard time figuring out their bouquets. I know most of my bouquet will be white, and the MOH will have a little white to break up her bouquet and to let her stand out a bit. So then should the bridesmaids bouquets just all be purples and pinks? I am at my wit’s end.

Re: Mismatched bridesmaids & all bouquets

• I want to make the bouquets along with my sister to save on costs and time. That being said each of my bridesmaids has the same dress in a different color. There’s three colors. Light pink, light purple, and a medium purple. I am having a hard time figuring out their bouquets. I know most of my bouquet will be white, and the MOH will have a little white to break up her bouquet and to let her stand out a bit. So then should the bridesmaids bouquets just all be purples and pinks? I am at my wit’s end.
    They could be. They could also be filled with greenery along with white, which would go with all the dresses and be less matchy-matchy.

I don't think it's at all necessary that your MOH stand out via her bouquet, but if you wanted to do lots of green and a little white with the BMs, a little more white with green for her, and mostly to all white for you, I think that would work well.

That said, it is definitely not time saving to arrange your own flowers. It's hard. It's also not necessarily cheaper. I found a wholesaler and told her my budget and maybe some general colors, and she worked out something lovely that took me zero time, was cheap, and looked far better than anything I would have arranged, not having practice with that artistic skill.
  • I am not sure how making the bouquets yourself is going to save time.  Especially if you aren't well versed with flowers and how to arrange them.  But, regardless, I think you are over thinking things.  I would just use all the colors you have going on in each bouquet and then stick with all white for yours (like you said).  I can tell you from all of the weddings I have been to over the years if the MOH had a slightly different bouquet from the other BMs to differentiate her I could not tell you.  The only person in that room that will know (or even care) hers is different is you.
  • futuremrsjaetfuturemrsjaet member
    First Comment
    edited May 2018
    My sister is doing the floral as she took multiple courses on floral arrangements and design. She also is doing them for free, all I need to do is buy what she needs. She already has the tools to do it. 

My MOH is wearing the same style dress as everyone else and they are all wearing different colors. The reason I wanted her to slightly stand out is because once I am married, we’d have been best friends for 21 years and I want to honor that through her bouquet and gift.  

I did think of everyone just having different kinds of white flowers but I am afraid of that looking too boring in photos. 
  • Personally, I like your original idea (having the 2 bridesmaids bouquets being pink and purple, your MOH have the same but with some white, and yours being mostly white) the best. I would probably do a contrast in tones to the BMs dresses, so if the dresses are bright do pastel pinks/ purples for the flowers or vice versa.
  • Personally, I like your original idea (having the 2 bridesmaids bouquets being pink and purple, your MOH have the same but with some white, and yours being mostly white) the best. I would probably do a contrast in tones to the BMs dresses, so if the dresses are bright do pastel pinks/ purples for the flowers or vice versa.
    I agree with this, too. I think keeping the same color scheme but switching for the BMs, have the MOH with white flowers, and yours incorporate all the colors would look really nice. 
  • If you want to save money - purchase the pre-arranged wedding flowers from Sam's (Any of the arrangements work great as BM bouquets!) or one of the wholesale clubs that you just chop the bottoms off and put in water.  SNS - DIY flowers will not save you time and especially not money because they'll nickel and dime you.  Unless you're doing artificial, they must be done at literally the last minute if you want them to look nice and can be temperamental on temperatures so having cooler space at the right temperature is a challenge.  Set your budget, ask a few florists (check the grocery store with a florist too!) "Here's what I need, what can I get for the money", and go with it.  The two days leading up to your wedding are going to be crazy busy without having to do flowers.  It'll be hectic enough just to pick up the arrangements the day-of with all things "Being a Bride" (getting your hair, nails, makeup, dressed, etc. AND getting to all points on time.  

The other aspect is - if you're DIY without a ton of experience, the thing to remember is what comes off the truck sometimes isn't the quality nor size you thought they'd be (can sometimes be better too!), Keep an open mind about how they're going to look in the end!   
  • I vote for bridesmaids to carry bouquets of pinks and purples (add in some greenery for some breakup) and then MOH to have that plus a few white flowers. I think it will look great.
  • My mom and I made the bouquets for our wedding and it wasn't super time-consuming, but we did practice a little beforehand. I would say it probably took 3-4 hours, from purchasing the flowers right away in the morning to cleanup. I also wasn't particular what flowers we went with, and literally bought whatever Trader Joe's had at 8 am the day before the wedding. It's not feasible for everyone to do things that way, but it's not totally impossible. We also found out after the fact that TJ's, Kroger, and Whole Foods would special order flowers, I think with a week's notice.

I like pink/purple/greenery for BMs and the same + whites for the MOH. 
  • Thanks so much, ladies.

I’ve been so busy I knew I needed to find the time and come back to see what y’all think.

My sister has started the bouquets process already, and we got super lucky with finding nice but cheap Boutonnieres for the guys! We are gonna go with the gradient effect for the bouquets, I really appreciate it.