Wedding Woes

Happy Tuesday!!!

2»

Re: Happy Tuesday!!!

• Hah, when H and I were looking at houses, I loved one that was in an association. H didn't like it because he didn't want the association telling us what we can and cannot do to our house or crawling up our ass all the time.

Then he loved a house on the historic house registry. I'm like, "Really? You think this is going to be better than an association!?!!?"

Thankfully I hated that house, he hated the one I loved and we found a house that is neither registered nor in an association.

I've admittedly always been a bit wary of HOA situations.  One of the reasons is exactly your H's concern.  I've heard some doozies when it comes to rules.  Like you can't have a BBQ in your backyard.  To me, that's a "symbol" of home ownership!  Or cars can't be parked on the street for longer than 2 hours.  All kinds of weird stuff.  And even if rules are acceptable when one moves in, doesn't meant they can't change at some point in time.

The other thing that makes me nervous is if the HOA fees start going out of control.  That was a BIG problem for some people during the housing crisis.  Neighbors got foreclosed on and/or sold their houses.  Few buyers in the market to pick up those properties.  Led to fewer home/condo owners in an association to pay all the bills.  And HOA fees went up significantly.

With that said, right now I'm eying a 1 bedroom condo listed for $38.9K that already has a renter paying $800/month.  So tempting and such a low point of entry.  But, ugh, it's a condo, lol.  Which is really not what I typically look for.  I really need to get over myself and call my agent, to at least find out the comps and what the HOA fees are.

Oh yeah I agreed with him too. We got the HOA packet and read through the rules and stuff and they weren't bad (plus my sister knows two people who live there and neither had ever had an issue). For me, I loved the house enough to deal with the association. H did not. Just like H loved the old Victorian enough to deal with the Registry, while I did not. LOL
    Haha!  And I could also see myself falling in love with a house on the National Registry, even for as disastrous a situation as I know they can be.  Having already been down that road, I know I can count on my H to talk me down, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker