Wedding Woes

Friday!!!!

2»

Re: Friday!!!!

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Who else is excited for the royal wedding?!? I can’t wait. 

Not even a little bit. 

Me too. Everything I know about this wedding, I learned from the constant, unavoidable commercials for the lifetime movie.
    I can't wait for the wedding to be over so we can focus on other things.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:
    I was supposed to have a job interview today in Texas City. Unfortunately, tragically, there was a school shooting nearby in Santa Fe, TX. Two people were killed and others were wounded. My prayers and thoughts for the victims and survivors.

The roads in the area are closed off. I hope the hiring manager will agree to reschedule the interview.
    All the news reports I've seen are saying 8-9 people dead. If the hiring manager doesn't reschedule, it's not a company you want to work for. 
    I agree. What a horrible thing to happen -- again. (The shooting, not the interview situation.)
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

Me too. Everything I know about this wedding, I learned from the constant, unavoidable commercials for the lifetime movie.
    Feel free to focus on whatever you want? 
  • Jen4948 said:
    I was supposed to have a job interview today in Texas City. Unfortunately, tragically, there was a school shooting nearby in Santa Fe, TX. Two people were killed and others were wounded. My prayers and thoughts for the victims and survivors.

The roads in the area are closed off. I hope the hiring manager will agree to reschedule the interview.
    The video of the kids in a line empty in their backpacks really struck me.  To be victimized first by a school shooter and then victimized in a way by being looked at as a potential suspect.  Logically, I get it, but emotionally, damn, that just got to me.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

Yeah, I need to focus on the frivolity of the Royal Wedding, because otherwise shit is too bleak. Like school shootings all too often. 
  • Sometimes I like watching the Royals the way I like watching Watch What Happens Live or even something on Netflix.    It's an escape.

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2018
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

I wasn't aware I needed your permission to do that at any time I please.
  • STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2018
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

You’re the one who complained that you apparently can’t focus on other things because some of us are focusing on this?  

Idk why you have to be sour about something some of some of us are enjoying chatting about. 
  • Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

You’re the one who complained that you apparently can’t focus on other things because some of us are focusing on this?  

Idk why you have to be sour about something some of some of us are enjoying chatting about. 
    Especially when it's a wedding and we're on The Knot?   
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

Are only you guys entitled to feel sour while everyone else has to have a perpetual smile on their face?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

Are only you guys entitled to feel sour while everyone else has to have a perpetual smile on their face?  

What I feel right now is sad.
  • banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2018
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

1) I know you dirty deleted your first response.

2) Come on now.  Jen I am trying to say this with the greatest amount of constructive criticism I can.   I hope that your approach IRL isn't the way you post on TK because it can make Debbie Downer look like a motivational speaker. 

There are TONS of people who don't care for the royals.   However you seem to take not caring for things to a next level where the tone of your statements move from not only not caring but "Then we can focus on other things," sounds like a thinly veiled insult that those who like this are beneath you in some way.

People can focus on more than one thing at a time.   They can enjoy an escape.   In no way does that mean that they aren't saddened by yet another tragedy that hit our country (and as someone who grew up 20 minutes from Sandy Hook believe me I remember that day too well).  

I'm kind of curious - why is it that if people are interested in something your answer is going to be sour rather than, "Meh - not my cup of tea" (pun intended).

ETA - added intended after stupid Knot ate my post.
  • @banana468 love the photo of Meghan and her mom arriving at Cliveden, and Harry and Wills doing the walkabout!
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2018
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

2) Come on now.  Jen I am trying to say this with the greatest amount of constructive criticism I can.   I hope that your approach IRL isn't the way you post on TK because it can make Debbie Downer look like a motivational speaker. 

There are TONS of people who don't care for the royals.   However you seem to take not caring for things to a next level where the tone of your statements move from not only not caring but "Then we can focus on other things," sounds like a thinly veiled insult that those who like this are beneath you in some way.

People can focus on more than one thing at a time.   They can enjoy an escape.   In no way does that mean that they aren't saddened by yet another tragedy that hit our country (and as someone who grew up 20 minutes from Sandy Hook believe me I remember that day too well).  

I'm kind of curious - why is it that if people are interested in something your answer is going to be sour rather than, "Meh - not my cup of tea" (pun intended).

Yes, people can focus on more than one thing at a time. 

And when any one thing has been going on for a long time, whether it's a royal wedding, an election, a movie coming out, or anything at all, it's generally nice when whatever it is reaches its climax and denouement. It's nice for Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, their loved ones and their fans that the wedding is finally about to happen and that there will hopefully be other happy things to focus on.

Today, no, I don't happen to be in a good mood. I'm not the only one who has posted in this forum following either a tragedy, a personal setback, or when not feeling well, and all three things happened today. We've all posted when those things have happened. In fact, isn't that why we have this folder called Wedding Woes? 
  • Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

And when any one thing has been going on for a long time, whether it's a royal wedding, an election, a movie coming out, or anything at all, it's generally nice when whatever it is reaches its climax and denouement. It's nice for Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, their loved ones and their fans that the wedding is finally about to happen and that there will hopefully be other happy things to focus on.

Today, no, I don't happen to be in a good mood. I'm not the only one who has posted in this forum following either a tragedy, a personal setback, or when not feeling well, and all three things happened today. We've all posted when those things have happened. In fact, isn't that why we have this folder called Wedding Woes? 
    Yeah and the rest of us don’t go around telling other people we can’t wait for things that are making them be happy to be over? 
  • Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    banana468 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

6fsn said:

Not even a little bit. 

Well, yeah it's WEDDING woes.    It's rarely used for on topic posts as I think we can all agree.

Again, it's one thing to post about something that's unhappy, a tragedy, a vent, or something that isn't positive.

However it's a second step to listen to someone post about something that excites her and then say you can't wait for that thing to be over. 

No, we can't tell anyone how to post as it isn't in the truth of these boards or polite to do so.    However, it's also not really NICE to say, "That thing you're excited about?   Yeah, can't wait til it's in the past." 

And of ALL things, I'm amused by the irony of being on The Knot where you're saying you can't wait for a WEDDING to be over.  

@Jen4948, I think you can get really wound up and you have a way of getting stompy on your keyboard.  We get it.   It's frustrating.   But I really hope you consider changing your approach. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    edited May 2018
    We're entitled to differing opinions. Even (especially) in a wedding forum, nobody has to be excited in a positive way about any one specific wedding. And I find it ironic that on a forum where the norm is to point out not to rely on "the wedding industry" about all the trappings and traditions of big white weddings, the couple gets one day, it's not all about them, and that all one needs to get married are the couple, an officiant, a license, the legally required number of witnesses and any legally required declaration of intent, someone who just isn't particularly interested in a royal wedding is being given sarcasm and negativity about her lack of interest in that one wedding.

There are times when I hope you and @STARMOON44 change your approaches as well.
  • Jen4948 said:
    We're entitled to differing opinions. Even (especially) in a wedding forum, nobody has to be excited in a positive way about any one specific wedding.

There are times when I hope you and @STARMOON44 change your approaches as well.
    Of course we are!  We are all allowed to express our opinions.

I just hope that you take a few moments or days to take a walk and come back and re read the top of the page.   Maybe even share that with someone else.  

Then think about ways that maybe a change of tone could help.

I know I've re-read things I've posted and thought "Wow that could have gone better." 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    You two do the same.
  • Jen4948 said:
    You two do the same.
    I think I just said that. 

You like to get the last word - don't you? 
  • edited May 2018

...can we agree that this should be over so we can focus on other things?

ETA - So, I had to share this. I finished my book the other day and didn't have time to go to the library. I skimmed my bookshelf and found a book on mindfulness and meditation that my mom got me years ago.

That is EXACTLY what I need right now and I got all teary that even almost 4 years after she died, she's still helping me out and "there" when I need her.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • ...can we agree that this should be over so we can focus on other things?
    Like whether or not the corgis get to go to the after party and if George will behave?
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    ...can we agree that this should be over so we can focus on other things?
    Yes.