Chit Chat

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

There is a huge storm coming and it's supposed to rain in Ohio through next Tuesday. FH and I have a plan B and I bought all of my bridesmaid's umbrellas as a precaution. 

I know that the only thing that matters is the marriage, but I am still slightly disappointed  :(

Re: Rain, Rain, Go Away!

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    There is a huge storm coming and it's supposed to rain in Ohio through next Tuesday. FH and I have a plan B and I bought all of my bridesmaid's umbrellas as a precaution. 

I know that the only thing that matters is the marriage, but I am still slightly disappointed  :(

It stinks, but chances are everything will work out fine. We had a massive ice storm two days before our wedding (yep, Ohio weather SUCKS) but everyone made it, and the day turned out wonderfully. And who knows - Ohio weather changes practically minute to minute in my experience, so you may end up with a gorgeous sunny day! Good luck.
  • Oh no!  But it is only Monday so you never know what it may do so I wouldn't worry about it until the day before.  And even then, you at least have a plan in place and everything will still be beautiful and perfect!

I will cross my fingers for good weather!
  • It's still early enough that the weather can change! 
  • "It's like ra-ee-ain...on your wedding day.  A free riiiide...when you've already paid."

Sorry, I couldn't help myself channeling Alanis Morissette, lol.

Try not to stress!  You can't change the weather and you have your Plan B.  It IS too early to say.  I can't tell you how many times they have predicted heavy rains and thunderstorms for days.  And then it ends up being one thunderstorm on one day for an hour or two and sunny and beautiful for the whole weekend.  Louisiana, not Ohio.  But still.

Sending out good vibes to you for a beautiful wedding with beautiful weather :).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it makes you feel any better here in MD they were predicting on this mornings news that today was suppose to be pretty shitty.  It is now sunny with clear skies.  So yeah, weather can change at the drop of a hat. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2018
    I still follow the photographers who did our wedding, and they JUST did a wedding in the rain and they turned out beautifully.  They used the elements to their advantage. 

I know this is only referring to pictures, and not what's really going on "in the now" but he said it best when he wrote "the elements can be dealt with if you work with them. The idea is to reflect the beauty of the day regardless of the conditions.  You cannot fight nature with a lens, you must work with her".

edit: words

• I had my heart set on an outdoor wedding and it poured the entire week.  While I'm still a little sorry I didn't get to do what I wanted, I think it made life easier for my guests being inside (given our odd setup we had).  You can make it work!
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ahhhh....how I do appreciate normalcy and perspective!  Thank you for not declaring your day a National Disaster or Crisis of Epic Proportion!

DD had some awesome outdoor photo's planned, as well as a lovely patio cocktail hour.  It poured the entire day prior to the wedding, and sprinkled most of the morning the day of the wedding.  It caused the June daytime temperatures to "drop" to the low 60's.  We were lucky that the skies cleared for all the important times, such as getting in and out of vehicles.  They were able to get a few outdoor pictures after Mass.  Actually, my favorite pictures were the ones with the umbrellas!  They only had to deal with a misting, but it was not something they wanted to toy with prior to the ceremony.

We did buy a very cheap plastic drop cloth to drape over the frame of the limo doors as a precaution in case it got wet/dirty as DD got in and out of the car with her dress.  Otherwise, all was well!

Congratulations!!
  • I totally get your disappointment. Also, yay for you for not acting like this is the end of the world! The Monday before our wedding they were calling for a huge downpour the entire day of. As the week went on, the timing of the storm shifted, and it ended up raining the day before, but was clear and sunny for our wedding day! Weather can change so quickly, especially in the Midwest. One of my friends got married on a wet, rainy day and bought all of her BMs rainboots (their dresses were short and pretty casual) and umbrellas last minute and the pictures are actually super adorable. You sound prepared for either situation, and like you're ready to make the best of things. Congratulations! :) 
  • What part of Ohio? (I used to live in Toledo)

The good (and often bad thing) about Ohio weather is how quickly the weather report can change! Here's hoping you get at least enough of a break so that in and out of the venue isn't a pain! 
  • @MariePoppy, that has to be one of the most hilarious cocktail stories have I ever heard!  The bartenders should have sprinkled a little sugar into each one to make them "sandy", lol.

I'm sure it was really stressful at the time, but glad to hear it was a great event.  Despite the scary weather!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wish @lyndausvi would pop in. She was married in a tropical storm. It was a tent wedding! She made me feel so much better about my daughter's wedding.

• I wish @lyndausvi would pop in. She was married in a tropical storm. It was a tent wedding! She made me feel so much better about my daughter's wedding.
    Sorry I just saw this.

Yes, I had a very strong tropical storm hit on my wedding day.    I've also worked weddings where it heavily rained.   Our wedding was to be on the beach.  It had to be moved in a tent.   The tent collapsed the morning of.  We had to have 2 tent guys in jeans and sweatshirts hang out the entire night just in case (btw we feed them filet mignon and tipped them to thank them for giving up their sat night).  

My advice is just go with the flow. If you are happy the guests will be happy.  If you are sad and disappointed, the guests will be sad and disappointed for you.   You can not change the weather, so don't even try.   At the end of the day you will still be married.      

My wedding is still talked about 10 years later.   We had a blast.  We ate, drink and danced all night.  The dance floor was packed the entire night.  People had a great time.   That was because I wasn't sulking about the weather.   We focused on what was important.  Our marriage and having fun with our guests.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated.