Wedding Woes

Royal Wedding

The dress. The sermon. The tiara. Perfection. 

Re: Royal Wedding

• I said on the other thread.  Didn't like the dress.  Loved the tiara.  Didn't bother to google the sermon

• Loved it all! I think the dress is gorgeous; it’s classic and elegant, loved it. The tiara was perfect! 

Also loved the embroidery on the veil. Stunning!

• The choir gave me goosebumps!
  • As I said on the other thread, I thought Meghan looked beautiful. 

The music was just incredible. I LOVED that rendition of "Stand By Me" and the cellist was phenomenal. Overall, it was a really beautiful wedding, and it was nice to see something so different from royal weddings of the past.
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    It was all amazing and so special. As I said on the other thread, my highlights were her veil, makeup and the ceremony music. Meghan and Harry are a wonderful couple, I’m so happy for both of them.

Not really a critique as much as an observation, and I guess it’s more of a royal thing than a British thing, but the congregation seemed so stiff and tight-lipped.  I’m used to a lot more emotion at weddings (and I’ve been to lots of formal church ceremonies). Again, not a critique, just something that really stood out.
  • Love the reception dress!
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2018
    Funny thing about the dress is it almost mirrors EXACTLY my Mom's from 1965 that she sewed herself (the only difference is sleeve length)..
  • I thought her dress and veil were stunning. It was classic and elegant. I too, loved the gospel choir. I didn't pay much attention to the actual ceremony though since on a trip with friends and we were chatting.

Question for our British Knotties, is there a reason she didn't have to say all of of Harry's names or even Henry since that is his real name? I remember when Diana flubbed Charles' list of names. Did Kate say all of William's names? I can't remember that. 
  • I thought her dress and veil were stunning. It was classic and elegant. I too, loved the gospel choir. I didn't pay much attention to the actual ceremony though since on a trip with friends and we were chatting.

Question for our British Knotties, is there a reason she didn't have to say all of of Harry's names or even Henry since that is his real name? I remember when Diana flubbed Charles' list of names. Did Kate say all of William's names? I can't remember that. 
    Kate did say all of William’s names. 
  • I loved all of it. I have seen people hating on her ceremony look, but I thought it was perfection. Her reception dress was gorgeous too. I did get up at 5:30am to watch all of it, and I'm so happy I did. 
  • Completely underwhelmed with her dress, makeup and hair.  The dress did not fit her properly and made her look a bit frumpy/old.  I thought the tiara was a bit heavy when everything else was so light and simple.  I love natural makeup but she couldn't have anything more on than mascara.  Her hair was just a mess in my opinion.  It was slowly falling apart through the ceremony.  I typically like her undone/messy hair but dammit, you are in an expensive ass gown with a diamond encrusted tiara on, make sure that hair is perfect and stays in place...hairspray and bobby pins are your friend.  The only thing I loved was her veil...love, love, love long veils.  I was so excited to see her get out of the car and when she finally did it was "womp, womp."

But holy hell, the flowers.  OMG!  The flowers framing the entrance to the church and framing the inside area.  Major flower-gasm!

Harry was adorable and you can tell that he is truly head over heels for her which is always lovely to see.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2018
    I caught highlights.  The most touching thing to me is that he picked out her bouquet and ensured there were forget-me-nots, which was Diana's favorite flower.   And his faces were amazing...She makes him light up in such a way and it's just so lovely. 

The choir, the pastor, the music choices, making sure Diana's family was just as included as the monarchs...I like that they were able to make it their own.  And I think they were respectful of tradition, but also made sure their style was there throughout. 
  • Completely underwhelmed with her dress, makeup and hair.  The dress did not fit her properly and made her look a bit frumpy/old.  I thought the tiara was a bit heavy when everything else was so light and simple.  I love natural makeup but she couldn't have anything more on than mascara.  Her hair was just a mess in my opinion.  It was slowly falling apart through the ceremony.  I typically like her undone/messy hair but dammit, you are in an expensive ass gown with a diamond encrusted tiara on, make sure that hair is perfect and stays in place...hairspray and bobby pins are your friend.  The only thing I loved was her veil...love, love, love long veils.  I was so excited to see her get out of the car and when she finally did it was "womp, womp."

But holy hell, the flowers.  OMG!  The flowers framing the entrance to the church and framing the inside area.  Major flower-gasm!

Harry was adorable and you can tell that he is truly head over heels for her which is always lovely to see.
    I think it's a little ridiculous to hate on her hair. Ok, there were moments where it didn't look perfect. But none of us were sitting in that church in England. Maybe it was humid. Maybe a huge gust of wind came. But to nitpick about a few hairs being out of place?? Come on. 
    Also her skin/makeup looks flawless. 
    Excuse me for having an opinion?  I thought her hair stylist could have done a better job.  If you don't agree that is fine, but it is far from ridiculous to say that her was falling apart.  A professional hair stylist will know how to keep things in place through a gust of wind or humidity.  To me, the entire look looked rushed.  And maybe it was, but it still doesn't change my feelings.

I never said her skin didn't look flawless.  She is a gorgeous woman, but I felt like the entire look was lacking a lot.  I have seen her look far better at other events.
  • I'm looking at the pics again.  I mean, her dress lacked boning and/or a ton of structure and was definitely not form-fitting.  Therefore, it wrinkled/creased a bit here and there as she moved, especially in the high-res images.

However, she looked comfortable and most importantly, over the moon. 

I thought the tiara was perfect and the veil having flowers from all the states in the commonwealth was a brilliant touch. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I'm looking at the pics again.  I mean, her dress lacked boning and/or a ton of structure and was definitely not form-fitting.  Therefore, it wrinkled/creased a bit here and there as she moved, especially in the high-res images.

I thought the tiara was perfect and the veil having flowers from all the states in the commonwealth was a brilliant touch. 
    Exactly.   She wasn't wearing a strapless dress or one that hugged curves like Kate's.  So you're not going to get remotely the same fit style because that's not the style or the fabric.   That doesn't make it ill fitting.   It makes it NOT YOUR STYLE.  And that's OK.   You can dislike the STYLE but that doesn't mean that it's bad styling - it's just not your taste. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I'm looking at the pics again.  I mean, her dress lacked boning and/or a ton of structure and was definitely not form-fitting.  Therefore, it wrinkled/creased a bit here and there as she moved, especially in the high-res images.

I am another PP who was not a fan of the dress.  But the veil was spectacular and I did not know this.  Extra nice!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I woke up to them leaving the church in the horse and carriage.  And then I went on Facebook to get the highlights.   She did look stunning. Loved both her dresses and loved her look more than Kate's.

Let's talk about Kate's "pale yellow" dress? I can see in some pictures a hint of yellow....but most of them looked white.

• Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. It just feels icky to me to hate on her hair, and say that it was a mess. How can you say this is a mess?! A few hairs are out of place. 

The left side had hair falling out (can't see in this picture) and towards the end of the ceremony hair was falling out of the back of the updo.  Sorry that I just expect a lot more from a professional hairstylist.

It is great that you think she looks perfect.  I don't agree.  Thus is life.  I don't see how me thinking her hair could have been better is in anyway icky.
  • You know, I think what annoys me about the nitpicking is this idea that women/brides are supposed to look perfect in every right, and it's really sexist. She can't have one hair of our place? She wasn't wearing enough makeup? There was a wrinkle on her dress? It wasn't tight enough? No one is nitpicking anything about Harry, or any men that attended. 
    Oh FFS.  God forbid we say what we think.  I think she is gorgeous woman.  I just didn't think her attire did her justice.  If that makes me sexist, then so be it.

From here on out no one should be allowed to critique anything and only say positive things for fear of hurting someone's feelings or disagreeing with others.

And no one is nitpicking Harry or the other men because lets face it, Meghan had the spotlight that day.  Also, Harry's attire wasn't guarded in secrecy.  It was a uniform.  What is there to say?  Maybe he could have used some product in his hair?  Also men's attire is all pretty similar.  Unless they go crazy with a hot pink morning coat or a huge mohawk to really make them standout from the crowd there is just not enough to comment on.  Women have a lot more options which is a great and not so great thing because it leads people to have a stronger opinion about their overall look or dress.

And just because I didn't like her look doesn't mean that I don't think she is ugly or a horrible person.  It just means that I have my opinion, which lets face it has zero impact on anyone, and you have yours which also has zero impact.  Everyone likes and dislikes different things.  That is life.
  • You know, I think what annoys me about the nitpicking is this idea that women/brides are supposed to look perfect in every right, and it's really sexist. She can't have one hair of our place? She wasn't wearing enough makeup? There was a wrinkle on her dress? It wasn't tight enough? No one is nitpicking anything about Harry, or any men that attended. 
    Also she was clearly wearing makeup- way more than just mascara. So what is the issue? That you could still see her skin? That she went with a nude lip? That she likes her hair with a bit more movement to it? I’m just not comfortable criticizing women’s hair for being messy, and in particular that critique has an ugly history of white ladies finding problems with black hair. 
    Yes, 100 times YES to the bolded. That is what feels icky about it. 
    Also she was clearly wearing makeup- way more than just mascara. So what is the issue? That you could still see her skin? That she went with a nude lip? That she likes her hair with a bit more movement to it? I’m just not comfortable criticizing women’s hair for being messy, and in particular that critique has an ugly history of white ladies finding problems with black hair. 
    Yes, 100 times YES to the bolded. That is what feels icky about it. 
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!  Do not even go there.  That is beyond crossing the line.  I don't care if she was white, black, purple, hot pink, or green I would have said the same damn thing.  So do not even try to pull that card.
    Oh FFS.  God forbid we say what we think.  I think she is gorgeous woman.  I just didn't think her attire did her justice.  If that makes me sexist, then so be it.

From here on out no one should be allowed to critique anything and only say positive things for fear of hurting someone's feelings or disagreeing with others.

And no one is nitpicking Harry or the other men because lets face it, Meghan had the spotlight that day.  Also, Harry's attire wasn't guarded in secrecy.  It was a uniform.  What is there to say?  Maybe he could have used some product in his hair?  Also men's attire is all pretty similar.  Unless they go crazy with a hot pink morning coat or a huge mohawk to really make them standout from the crowd there is just not enough to comment on.  Women have a lot more options which is a great and not so great thing because it leads people to have a stronger opinion about their overall look or dress.

And just because I didn't like her look doesn't mean that I don't think she is ugly or a horrible person.  It just means that I have my opinion, which lets face it has zero impact on anyone, and you have yours which also has zero impact.  Everyone likes and dislikes different things.  That is life.
    You said on CC that it looked like she rolled out of bed! It's just such a critical position to take of someone that looked absolutely gorgeous. It's nonsensical to me. And yes, sexist. She had a few strands of hair out of place and didn't cake makeup on her face, and that should be picked apart? Come on.