Wedding 911

My Venue Cancelled with 54 Days Left HELP!!!!

Our venue had to close down and we have been left venueless. My fiancé and I are have booked everything, with  our date being July 28th, we are really worried about our wedding. Does any one, vendor, guest, ANYONE have an estate or anything we can for rent for our venue in the San Diego Area? Our wedding was a destination wedding so all of our guests have flights booked, hotels, and all of our vendors are in San Diego. PLEASE HELP, we are desperate!

Re: My Venue Cancelled with 54 Days Left HELP!!!!

• Oh, man, I'm sorry! I hop you find something!

If it comes to this, I cancelled a destination wedding with less than 30 days to go. Our venue was also the lodging so it was easier for them to refund us, but I would call the hotel(s) and tell them what happened. They may refund everyone. Same with the airlines. My dad did have to provide a copy of the invitation to show that there was once a wedding planned there and he also had to give them the name of my mom's oncologist so they knew there was an actual illness and that was the reason for the cancellation. I think it would be worth a phone call to see if they'll have a little compassion and help you out.

Good luck! I'm sorry this is happening! Depending on the size of your wedding, you can look at Air BNB or VRBO for large vacation homes in the area. Or check hotels for empty conference rooms. Even restaurants with private space (that's where I ended up getting married).

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Our venue had to close down and we have been left venueless. My fiancé and I are have booked everything, with  our date being July 28th, we are really worried about our wedding. Does any one, vendor, guest, ANYONE have an estate or anything we can for rent for our venue in the San Diego Area? Our wedding was a destination wedding so all of our guests have flights booked, hotels, and all of our vendors are in San Diego. PLEASE HELP, we are desperate!

How many guests? Have you started to call other venues to see about availability? 
  • Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this.

How many guests have you invited? That will help determine your options for a new venue. Also, since you're planning from a distance, check with your other vendors. They may know of venues that can't be found with googling. I would call area hotels and restaurants that have a large reception or meeting room. Luckily San Diego is a huge area so there should be a few options for you. I would also mention when you call new venues that your previous venue cancelled on you. A similar thing happened to my cousin (venue closed and didn't tell anyone!). When she was looking for new venues, she ended up getting a better deal since it was last minute and they were trying to help her out. 
  • Oh this really sucks! 

I agree with everyone, how many guests do you have? 

Where were you planning to stay? Can you check with your hotel concierge to see if they can recommend anywhere? If your guest list is on the smaller side I agree with PPs about restaurants, parks/outdoor space, or museums? I agree, tell the place you're calling the venue closed and see what they can do. Most will probably be really happy to help you out, or at least recommend other places to call.  
  • That absolutely stinks but I am going to echo the others.

Also, think about local forums since this is an international board.      
  • Thank you everyone for your input, we are working with our amazing wedding planners to try to find something. everything is booked!! It is so unfortunate because our entire theme was focused on our venue ( estate rental), ( the venue was a castle) . I cant stop crying on how our dream wedding is not what we had imagined for the past 11months!
  • Thank you everyone for your input, we are working with our amazing wedding planners to try to find something. everything is booked!! It is so unfortunate because our entire theme was focused on our venue ( estate rental), ( the venue was a castle) . I cant stop crying on how our dream wedding is not what we had imagined for the past 11months!

I know it is so disappointing now, but your all's wedding will still be a wonderful and amazing day!  You'll be marrying your true love, surrounded by friends and family.  That is the dream.  That is truly the best part, no matter where you all will be.  Hang in there!

There are a bunch of museums at Balboa Park.  I don't know if any of them do events, but I'd bet some do because Balboa Park is huge and an absolutely beautiful setting.  It's worth a shot to call a few of the bigger museums there and find out.  Off the top of my head, some of the larger ones are an aerospace museum, a children's museum, and a natural history museum.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Thank you everyone for your input, we are working with our amazing wedding planners to try to find something. everything is booked!! It is so unfortunate because our entire theme was focused on our venue ( estate rental), ( the venue was a castle) . I cant stop crying on how our dream wedding is not what we had imagined for the past 11months!
    Stop thinking traditional venues, the ones your planners work with are likely the ones that book early, not the ones that book last minute, that is why to contact your other vendors for recommendations.  You never know, they may know a film lot available to rent that you can transform into an estate castle type appearance, or someone who rents their estate out but doesn't publicize it,  or a venue that doesn't market themselves to event planners for example.  

Also, have a cupcake and adult beverage - your dream wedding vision needs to be focused a little bit to the most important aspect of the day - marrying your FI regardless of it taking place in the back conference room of the courthouse or a grand estate.  Focus on the true only detail that matters.  "The rest is window dressing and gravy!"

OMG, yes! This reminded me that there is a big warehouse in my neck of the woods (NOLA) that rent out all kinds of stuff for the movies/tv shows that are taped here.  But people can also rent the space for events and have all kinds of props/themes/decorations to choose from.

I thought that was a pretty cool idea when I first heard about.

OP, your caterer would be an especially great choice to ask about something like that.  Filming is long days and, from what I understand, there is always tons of food catered to the set.  There is a film company on another floor of the building I work in.  They don't typically even do filming here, but I am always seeing huge trays of food being delivered.  I keep waiting for a meal to slip and fall into my hands, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Not knowing the guest count, check restaurants, private homes that are being sold that might be willing to rent out for the night for a party, VRBO and AirB+B.