Wedding Woes

16 wedding trends that need to die

It's not so much the article (but I do agree with most of it) but the comments!!! the comments!

My fave is "As I am from Ireland could somebody explain to me why guests at American weddings won't pay for their own drinks?  You're being fed and given a day out and you want free booze too?  Very strange".

phew.  Glad i have friends getting married so I know what to do with my time! 

https://www.facebook.com/136336876521150/posts/1491756170979207/

Re: 16 wedding trends that need to die

• One of the comments objected to the objection over a dad giving away his daughter, saying that her dad, among other things, was her "prince."

BARF.

Yeah all those commenters suck!!!

• One of the comments objected to the objection over a dad giving away his daughter, saying that her dad, among other things, was her "prince."

BARF.

Yeah all those commenters suck!!!

UGH I saw that!! Gross.

Also I like the person who said cake in the face should be "banned". I mean, I agree that cake in the face is dumb but banning it?

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    The list wasn’t too bad but omg...so many people disagreeing with the cash bar being a problem.  It’s scary  :#
  • eileenrob said:
    The list wasn’t too bad but omg...so many people disagreeing with the cash bar being a problem.  It’s scary  :#
    It is indeed truly terrifying that different cultures and countries have different customs around weddings. Why isn't everyone exactly like you? 
  • We decided to have a sweetheart table at our wedding. We don't see it as being on display :smile:

Donut walls. They really need to go, imho.
  • I like the chicken dance
  • Perhaps the clue is in the opening statement - "being from Ireland....." It's hard not to generalise but the Irish (along with English and Scottish) do like to drink and especially at weddings so maybe a free bar would get hammered as do the guests.

Yeah, that logic implies that in addition to the stereotype that the Irish know how to knock 'em back, they're also cheap so they'd overdo it on an open bar but would hold back their money if having to pay for it themselves.   Maybe that's a new thing in Ireland but as the grandchild of an Irish immigrant I can tell you that is NOT how my mom was taught.    

• It's a huge generalization there.  I was in Dublin last year and no one drank any more or less than any American I ever saw.  

• NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2018
    I love how everyone is using the excuse "I'm not paying for someone else to drink if I don't drink" 

Next time I have a birthday party, I'm sending out invitations for people to please pay for their own cake because I don't eat cake and I should not have to pay for others to eat it. 
  • I love how everyone is using the excuse "I'm not paying for someone else to drink if I don't drink" 

Next time I have a birthday party, I'm sending out invitations for people to please pay for their own cake because I don't eat cake and I should not have to pay for others to eat it. 

Plus it's perfectly fine to have a dry reception then.

Come to think of it, I'm not much of a sweets eater.  I could have cared less if there was a wedding cake at my reception.  But it never occurred to me to not have one, because I know most people like and expect cake at a wedding.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love how everyone is using the excuse "I'm not paying for someone else to drink if I don't drink" 

<tongue in cheek> So order pie/brownies/caramels/fruit pizza/eclairs/whatever other dessert option than cake instead just as you'd offer lemonade for your guests instead of Mike's Hard Lemonade...
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2018
    Oh hell no.

If a couple can't afford to a host a bar fully, I'd rather them have a cash bar than a dry wedding.  I like a few glasses of wine when I'm out socializing and having a party with friends.  Someone admitting they can't afford it, but still letting it be offered is far better than dry.  Hell, I bring the bottle of wine and usually an appetizer with me when invited to dinner with friends, so why is a wedding somehow magically different and offensive?

Now, if I saw someone who wasn't hosting a bar, then scurrying around with their own purchased alcohol, I'd be steamed.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Oh hell no.

If a couple can't afford to a host a bar fully, I'd rather them have a cash bar than a dry wedding.  I like a few glasses of wine when I'm out socializing and having a party with friends.  Someone admitting they can't afford it, but still letting it be offered is far better than dry.  Hell, I bring the bottle of wine and usually an appetizer with me when invited to dinner with friends, so why is a wedding somehow magically different and offensive?

Now, if I saw someone who wasn't hosting a bar, then scurrying around with their own purchased alcohol, I'd be steamed.
    THIS!!!!!  OTOH - if someone in the WP/B/G/POC is in Early/Active Recovery, they still get a free pass in my book... 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Oh hell no.

THIS!!!!!  OTOH - if someone in the WP/B/G/POC is in Early/Active Recovery, they still get a free pass in my book... 

But you all aren't always going to know why someone has chosen not to have alcohol at their reception.  Maybe they're in recovery.  Maybe a close family member is.  Maybe they just don't want to spend the money.  It really doesn't matter.  It's their event and it isn't rude to choose not to have alcohol (not saying you all are saying that).

Plus, at least to me, I think it also depends on the time of day.  I wouldn't find it odd for a daytime wedding/reception to be dry.  I would be surprised if an evening reception did not have alcohol, but I wouldn't be fazed by or side-eye it.

I would really side-eye non-alcoholic beverages having a cost at someone's event, wedding or otherwise.  Because we've heard those stories also on these boards.  As a guest, I mildly side-eye cash bars for alcoholic beverages, though not as much as others do.  I personally would have chosen a daytime wedding, either with or without alcohol, if I could not have afforded to have had at least a paid bar for wine/beer at an evening reception.  I totally understand where you all are coming from that you'd prefer a cash bar over no bar, though I do find the cash bar option at least somewhat rude and the no bar option, not rude.

@VarunaTT, for your example of bringing wine/appetizer to a friend's house, I do find that very different as compared to a wedding because it is a lot more casual.  I wouldn't be offended by that if I was having a game or movie night at my house.  But if I was having a dinner party with a set menu, I would find it odd and annoying for a friend to bring an appetizer without asking me ahead of time.  Same goes (potentially) with a bottle of wine/alcohol if they expected me to open it at my dinner party.  Just fine if it was a hostess gift.

That goes even more so if it was my wedding.  I'd be offended if someone brought food/alcohol to my wedding that was expected to be laid out for everyone, unless I was asked about it way ahead of time (not counting food for themselves or child on a special diet).  If someone brought alcohol for themselves because they knew I was having a dry reception (speaking hypothetically)...I don't know.  I'd be a little annoyed, but probably not that big of a deal.

Wedding Countdown Ticker