Wedding Woes

I think you need to decide to adult.

2»

Re: I think you need to decide to adult.

• banana468 said:
    Look, I can get not talking about a diagnosis and if you're not a medical professional it's probably not responsible to make that suggestion.

That said, plenty of people don't like their job.   In the meantime, you keep it because it's a paycheck.  

I agree that Prudie was remiss in suggesting SPECIFIC medical/psychiatric conditions.

But it is a shame that the LW couldn't take a step further back for a broader picture and realize, "Hmm...maybe I should speak to a therapist.  Because my behavior is NOT normal.  Gosh, yeah.  Even to the extent that MY B/F has halted discussions of marriage until I get my act together." 

It would be like if I were coughing up blood.  And my friend suggested I might have condition 123 or ABC.  So I look up those two specific conditions.  Determine I don't have any of the other symptoms, so it must not be either one of those things and I'm just fine.  Then go along on my merry way, only worrying that I have to buy two extra boxes of Kleenex a week because of all the bloody coughs. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Please, tell me more about how it is everyone else's fault you are a shitty worker. By all means, getting aggressively defensive is a totally A-1 behaviour in a professional setting.

• Please, tell me more about how it is everyone else's fault you are a shitty worker. By all means, getting aggressively defensive is a totally A-1 behaviour in a professional setting.
    All of this smacks of someone who has been enabled far too long.  
  • They updated in the chat. Completely ignored the part where Prudie said to just work a job and pay the bills. I'm not sure what they expected the response to be. No one can say, "you should be this" from an advice column letter. 

"I submitted a question last week, “Floundering.” I really tried to take what you said seriously about ADHD and executive function disorder—no, I have never been diagnosed, and yes, I have mentioned my troubles to my doctor, who has never felt I had anything like this. But I feel your response was super off base. Getting bored or feeling a major or job is not the right one for me, even multiple times, doesn’t mean that I am unable to focus, manage time, or that I lose track of things quickly. I am really stunned researching executive function disorder. This is a hefty potential diagnosis for someone to ask another to look into who is not a psychiatrist! Thank you for your thoughts and for featuring my question, but I do not have this. I am actually extremely good about time management, focusing, getting things done on time, etc. I am just very confused about a career. I do not have ADHD or executive function disorder."
    Let's see - she talked to her DOCTOR, who had 20 minutes with her maximum during her appointment...  NOT a THERAPIST, counselor, or even a coach...  I wonder if the LW ever considered working with the right professional for her problem... js