Options

Thursday

2»

Re: Thursday

• Options
    nicolegs17nicolegs17 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    The "-itis" is based on racist phrase.  You may want to find a new term.
  • Options
    I've been really pleased with Target's pick-up/drive-up feature.  I find myself spending so much less than my usual $100+ trips for a $5 item.
  • Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2018
    I Googled several variations of using -itis as a suffix to a word as being racially derived/insensitive. 

Saying you have 'the itis' is racist because it's derived from n-word-itis, which means laziness after eating a large meal.  It's now morphed into 'food coma' according to one reference, which I found to be an interesting anecdote.  

Adding -itis to the end of the end of a random word as a suffix didn't come up  as being racially derived, just informally accepted as referring to an imaginary condition that doesn't exist.  

I've taken note for the future.  The more you know and all that. 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2018

Do you have an air fryer?  If not, I really recommend them.  You use little to no oil to fry the foods, but they come out just as crispy.

We've only had ours for about 6 months.  And my H was remarking the other day that he "doesn't understand how he had ever lived without one", lol.

The down side is that, even most of the larger ones, don't have enough room to cook something for an entire family.  But it's perfect for just me and my H. 

We do not - although, I do want one. We have a traditional deep fryer that I got H for Valentine's Day and we put it to good use. I've heard that you can't tell the difference between food prepared in the deep fryer vs. the air fryer.

Is that accurate?

Yes!  I think so.  We previously had one of those personal at-home fryers, like a Fry Daddy* (though a different brand).

Neither my H nor I notice any difference in crispiness or fried goodness.  Other than the food is (of course) less oily.

*Where I live, a Fry Daddy is a classic, classic wedding present.  When my friend got married a few years ago, she was like, "OMG!!!  I did not even put a Fry Daddy on my registry.  I got 4 of them, lol."   I don't know if that is a Southern thing or a NOLA thing.  But you're sure to get one from Great Aunt Mildred down here.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Medically, "-itis" means inflammation.

While the specific use @mrsconn23 references is racist, I don't think using the suffix per se is racist.

• Options
    I'm so sleepy.  I worked my butt off today.  They re-arranged our work style and I have a secretary now.  It's kind of amazing.  I can schluff off all of my "back end" work that was necessary to just keep things running and do my actual work.  I'm not behind and I'm comfortably caught up on most aspects.  Tomorrow I'll start tackling the last aspect and hopefully be in a much better mindset re: my place of employment.

I'm glad tomorrow's Friday.  K has an away game, and I got a hair to go to either StL or OKC Pride.  My friend if finding out tonight if his PTO is approved.  But now, I'm like...maybe I want to sit on my butt.  Either way, it'll be a good and much needed enjoyable weekend.
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Anyone have DirecTV Now? the DirecTV streaming service sort of like Sling TV? 
    Kinda late, but we do. We pay about $30/mo including HBO. We really like it so far. PM me if you have questions.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    thanks @mynameisnot. We just signed up for it yesterday. Seemed OK at first but local channels won't show up on the guide and DVR doesn't work so we will see what happens. My H is trying to trouble shoot it so we will see
  • Options
    The DVR is in beta. Make sure you update to the latest app. We've been able to use the DVR, but have to tell it to record using the remote from our phones. We're using Fire for the apps, and also use a lot of station specific apps. e.g. we're watching World Cup on the Fox app, using the DTVNow login to sign in.
  • Options
    We had regular DirectTV and it was the worst. There were constant problems with their billing system, the customer service was terrible, and it was expensive. I hope the streaming is better because we really want the NFL ticket again. 
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Good to know. We were trying to set DVR recordings from the app not from the remote/TV. I'll see if that works tonight. 

I really don't want to have to use a bunch of station-specific apps to watch shows though. I thought we could just use the DirecTV Go or whatever it is called for all of it. I like the $$ savings but just not sure if I want the hassle