Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

No alcohol

2019bride2019bride member
Name Dropper First Comment
Hi all,

my fiancé and I both do not drink so we aren’t having it at our wedding - our wedding is also at our church so that’s another reason why. On the other hand we are considering wine or champagnes, sangrias and a signature drink. We are guessing people like wine more then champagne? How would you guys figure out which one to buy? We are also expecting about 110 guest so how do we figure out how much to buy?

Thanks.

Re: No alcohol

• If your church allows alcohol then I would get alcohol. Ask your bartender what they recommend and in what quantities. If you want to keep it simple choose one red and one white. I would put the feelers out to see what everyone prefers. 
  • Is your religion one that doesn't allow alcohol (ie. Mormon)? If so, no one will expect alcohol. Does your venue not allow alcohol? If, so there's your answer. If your guests typically do imbibe, you may want to mention that alcohol won't be served due to venue restrictions.

If neither of the above apply, I would suggest at least offering wine & beer. You could work with you caterer to choose an appropriate mix of the two & they could also advise on the quantity of each. My H is a recovering alcoholic, but we served wine & beer at our reception. I've been vegetarian for years, but we had a carving station along with a vegetarian option. 
  • I'm a teetotaler and yes, did have alcohol at our wedding even though I'd have been happy to have a "Dry" reception because I didn't want our wedding turning into a slosh-fest (I spent 6mo in a neck brace because of a drunk driver and most of my family doesn't drink and if they do it's extended family and even then maybe a couple beers or expensive wine, OTOH, the IL's employees that were invited along with his side of the family it's an event)..  So really, if you do offer alcohol, consider what people actually consume in your families and social circles then appropriately limiting the amount you purchase because what are you going to do with it after is something to think about.  

OTOH, nothing says you HAVE to offer alcohol if you don't want to, and given your reception is in a church hall, I can't imagine too many would find it "off" to do so.  You could do an all-out mocktail bar with TONS of options with a specialty type NA drink, some of the NA wines aren't bad, it's really all up to you.  More options than water, coffee, and milk are always appreciated! 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    I'm a teetotaler and yes, did have alcohol at our wedding even though I'd have been happy to have a "Dry" reception because I didn't want our wedding turning into a slosh-fest (I spent 6mo in a neck brace because of a drunk driver and most of my family doesn't drink and if they do it's extended family and even then maybe a couple beers or expensive wine, OTOH, the IL's employees that were invited along with his side of the family it's an event)..  So really, if you do offer alcohol, consider what people actually consume in your families and social circles then appropriately limiting the amount you purchase because what are you going to do with it after is something to think about.  

OTOH, nothing says you HAVE to offer alcohol if you don't want to, and given your reception is in a church hall, I can't imagine too many would find it "off" to do so.  You could do an all-out mocktail bar with TONS of options with a specialty type NA drink, some of the NA wines aren't bad, it's really all up to you.  More options than water, coffee, and milk are always appreciated! 
    As someone who enjoys a lot of wine, the nonalcoholic options for beer and wine are gross. I would rather some well thought out mock-tails than NA wine if you are only good no to offer one or the other. I wouldn’t necessarily mind a NA wedding reception but unless it was due to religion, I might find it odd.