Honeymoon Discussions

Talk to me about Thailand

We just booked tickets last minute and are leaving in a few weeks.  We're gone for 2 weeks, and have a tentative itinerary.  I'm looking for suggestions, transportation help, and any other tidbits you ladies may have.  

4-5 days - Bangkok (and possible day trips to Ayutthaya and Khao Yai National park).  We're thinking 2-3 in Bangkok, 1 day trip to Ayutthaya and 1-2 days in Khao Yai

3-4 days in Koh Tao (1-2 days diving, 1-2 on the beach, depending on travel)

2 days Chiang Rai (fly from Koh Tao)

3 days Chiang Mai (fly home from here)

We tentatively had Phuket in between Koh Tao and Chaing Rai, but we took those days out and spread them out around Bangkok and Koh Tao.  We're not late night party people, so figured it was going to be more beach

I'm torn between just showing up places and seeing where we end up, and needing to book a few things like diving, and flights between Koh Tao and Chiang Rai.  Am I missing anything??

Re: Talk to me about Thailand

• Books flights between places so you don't get stuck with crappy options or no options. If diving is important, book at least one outing but don't pre-book more.
  • Definitely skip Phuket. I like Koh Tao- it is great.  I would spend more days in the islands than in Bangkok. I like Bangkok but you definitely don't need 4-5 days there. Pay more to book with Thai airways, especially if your schedule is tight- too many horror stories with the JetStar and AirAsia cancellations/ lost luggage etc. 
  • Definitely skip Phuket. I like Koh Tao- it is great.  I would spend more days in the islands than in Bangkok. I like Bangkok but you definitely don't need 4-5 days there. Pay more to book with Thai airways, especially if your schedule is tight- too many horror stories with the JetStar and AirAsia cancellations/ lost luggage etc. 
    Good to know about airlines.  The 4-5 days in Bangkok is actually the city and surrounding areas.  I think we'll actually spend about 2 days there and then head out to Ayutthaya and Khao Yai for the other 3.  

Thanks for the advice on Phuket.  It seems like everyone goes there, so we should too, but maybe it's more of a young backpacking/party thing, which we have grown out of

• Totally agree about Thai vs. the other airlines.
  • a1meea1mee member
    First Comment
    Around Bangkok there're lots of interesting places.

Kanchanaburi Province, only 2 hours by train from Bangkok...The Bridge over the River Kwai.....The Death Railway....Hellfire Pass..

Further to the east there's a lovely tourist free place on the Myanmar Border called Sangkthla Buri... Easy to reach by bus from Kanchanaburi.

In Sangkhla Buri we stayed in anice inn called Puprai Tarnnarm Resort

There's also a lovely frontier town on the Meekong, between Thailand and Laos, called Nong Khai..

Also, besides taking care of the airlines tickets, think about travel insurance since if you're planning on spending lots of time walking and exploring the country, you might get into a small accident, like getting bitten by some bug which might lead to the infection (at least that's the accident I've got into). when we were clooking for the most suitable travel insruance plan, we checked the travel insurance marketplace aardvarkcompare.com. still the health care system in Thailand is pretty decend and you shouldn't be afraid of anything. still, it's good to be prepared

• @a1mee Thanks for the info.  We went last summer and had a great trip.  Looks like you had fun too

• a1meea1mee member
    First Comment
    yes, we did. The majority of travellers visit Thailand because of its sunny beaches and azure waters in the gulf of Thailand (which are spectacular), but Thailand is more than just sunny beaches