Attire & Accessories Forum

Beware of Bridemaids.com

What a disaster! I finally found a bridesmaid dress style that I loved at a bridal store where I live and viewed the (very small) swatch of the color I wanted which seemed to match the color shown online. The price at the store was steep and I was excited to find the same designer dress on Bridesmaids.com for a much better price. What luck! When I received the dresses however, they were NOT the same color! My beautiful fall slate blue wedding just became a spring time baby blue and I'm so sad. And bonus, none of the dresses fit my bridesmaids, they are all too small! I personally measured my bridesmaids and we used the sizing guide by the dress designer Bari Jay which was listed on their website. Despite the reviews of their terrible customer service, I went ahead and sent the email with pictures to them. Of course they came back saying there is nothing they can do and that it was an issue of screen resolution. Needless to say, unless you have personally put on the exact style, color and size of the dress you are ordering, I would stay away from this company! Trust me, its not worth the disappointment and anxiety.

What I ordered....

What I got....

Re: Beware of Bridemaids.com

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Definitely not the same color.  The sizes being off and not fitting the BMs is the bigger problem though.  I’ve been in two weddings where the bride used a site to order the dresses and both times there were discrepancies in fit/color/cut etc.  We try to advise brides here that a physical store is your safest bet (or a site that is attached to a physical store- Macy’s, J Crew, etc.).

Will the site you used at least allow an exchange? 

• Colours can really vary so so so  much for different lights. Can you hold up the swatch you have that you wanted to order next to your dress so you can clearly show the difference?

I know the colours are off, but it doesn't look THAT baby blue. It does look grey-blue. Although I recognise it isn't exactly what you want I really don't think you will notice it that much. I do have to say online vs in person can really vary widely. Can you go look at that specific colour in a full dress (not swatch) near you?

• I agree with @LondonLisa it does look grey-blue (not the color that you wanted though). Can they get the dresses altered to fit? That will probably cost more and they won't end up saving any money but it could save buying a whole new dress if you can reconcile yourself to the color which to my eye doesn't look baby blue.
  • I agree that it's not the same color as the first picture, but I would still categorize as slate blue.  Definitely not baby blue.  I hope they can be altered to fit!
  • Regarding the sizing, hold a measuring tape to the laid out flat dress and take photos of the bust, waist and hips clearly showing how the measurements are off. You can then email that to the supplier with a copy of the size chart they provided. It might be easier to prove that error if they sent you the wrong size. 

• I agree with the others regarding the sizing.  

Just to provide some perspective ... I remember selecting the color of the fabric under our centerpieces.  I wanted it to match my bridesmaids dresses and I brought the swatches with me.  As I agonized over which shade of purple for the centerpiece was the shade closest to the dresses, the vendor had some wise words for me.  She said, "You're going to walk into this room moments after marrying the love of your life.  You'll be surrounded by family and friends.  Do you think you'll notice the shade of purple?"

She had a brilliant point.  The color is pretty and won't look like a springtime wedding.  Once you get the sizing worked out, it will be fine.  I promise.  :wink:
  • I agree with the others regarding the sizing.  

Just to provide some perspective ... I remember selecting the color of the fabric under our centerpieces.  I wanted it to match my bridesmaids dresses and I brought the swatches with me.  As I agonized over which shade of purple for the centerpiece was the shade closest to the dresses, the vendor had some wise words for me.  She said, "You're going to walk into this room moments after marrying the love of your life.  You'll be surrounded by family and friends.  Do you think you'll notice the shade of purple?"

She had a brilliant point.  The color is pretty and won't look like a springtime wedding.  Once you get the sizing worked out, it will be fine.  I promise.  :wink:
    Oddly enough - I'm the one who WOULD notice (because i'm "cursed" with seeing the ENTIRE color spectrum..)..

OP - that is the same color in a different and brighter lighting...  Not as dark as you wanted, but it is the color on the spectrum that you ordered. 

As for size, if the dresses are simply snug, have the BM wear the dresses to "relax" the fabric.  It's just a characteristic of formal fabrics and some more than others, same goes for bridal gowns, there's a reason the same size by a designer feels larger on the sample dress than in the dress ordered because it's been tried on so many times.