Wedding Woes
Options

Beauty routines.

Y'all, I don't know what is going on with me.

So, I turn 45 next month. I KNOW!!!!

Anyway, the grey is coming in full force and I have no desire to dye it. I've been using this little stick from Sally's to color the grey hairs, but they are making friends with each other. So, that puppy isn't working anymore.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and dye it. Booo.

I have been so lazy with getting my pedicures. I have been doing my own feet. It's just not the same.

I need to step up my game, yo.

Re: Beauty routines.

• Options

I'm turning 45 in November.  My mom started going gray when she was only 18.  But, fortunately, that gene skipped me, lol.  ((Knock on wood)) I haven't seen a gray hair yet.

But, when it comes to beauty routines, I have no game.  At all, lol.  I really should do...something?  Especially for my skin, which is currently fine and wrinkle-free, but I can't keep pretending it will be like that forever.  Ugh, I'm sure the time draws near, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm turning 38 next month and I've been dying my roots now for a few years. The greys are just too much, and very noticeable. I go in to see my colorist every 4-5 weeks. 

My nails are another thing I just don't do myself because I'm terrible at it. I go every 2-3 weeks and get a pedicure and a gel manicure. 

I've seriously stepped up my skin care game. Moisturizer with SPF for my face every day, night creams and eye serums every night. Exfoliating once a week.
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    I JUST noticed my first few root grey's the other day.  I have a root touch up I need to get on this weekend, because I like the color on my ends and just the roots need it right now.
    edit for: I'll be 39 in a few weeks. EEEK!

Right now, I'm just worried about the crows feet I'm getting and really working on that.  Like, panicy working on it.

I get no chips done because I just cant do my own finger nails, but my pedi's - I do that myself.  They don't look that great, but they're painted.  I also trim my own hair!  It's long.  I don't even care if it's uneven.

• Options
    Please I’ve been gray since I was 26 and I’ve been coloring it since then. I see my colorist every 6-8 weeks. I’m not ready to “embrace the gray” at 33. 

I have upped my skin skin care routine too. I use the Philosophy line; day w/ SPF, night cream, and face wash. I don’t do the eye serum yet but that’s next. 

My feet are terrible from all the running so I do my own pedicures; it’s not worth it to pay someone to do it when I lose toenails with every major race. 
  • Options
    baconsmombaconsmom member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited August 2018
    I started going grey, and I was sad that my usual coloring (because I hate my mouse brown hair) covered them up. They're like little silver threads in there. 

But then I went strawberry shortcake blonde (sorta blonde, sorta pink, i really like it), and I don't mind so much anymore. 

BUT! FEET! I tried those foot peel things, the ones you wear for an hour and then like 5 days later you start to peel? HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you're a gross picker person like I am. Loved peeling, and my feet are still pretty soft, weeks later, despite doing nothing to help that along. Like $20 on Amazon for 2 sets of booties. 
  • Options
    Hi Bacon. How is the writing going?
  • Options
    I recently started getting gel pedicures and they last forever. I get my nails done every two weeks. No grey for me yet and I’m not sure when to expect that. Part of me feels like it could be any day now. I can’t even look to my mom for clues because she started going grey in her 40s, but it was also after leukemia, chemo, and a hysterectomy. My great-grandmother never went grey and died in her late 80s. 

I take great care of my skin. I’ve been using anti-aging products since I was 15. My favorite line was wexler but they discontinued it. Now I’m trying to find a new skin care line but nothing so far has come even close. I exfoliate twice a week and use moisturizers with spf. 

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    My grays have been coming in since my late-20’s (I turned 34 in June) but I haven’t dyed yet.  I may have to soon because in the last year I’ve had a large jump in the number of grays and it’s noticeable in my brown hair.  Older DD told me she “loved my silver hair!” the other day so that was another sign.

I don’t get mani/pedi’s more than 1-2 times a year but I probably should.  They’re very affordable in my area ($15 for both Mon-Thurs) I just don’t have the time (and it’d be an “all dressed up and nowhere to go” situation  :D).

I’ve taken skincare seriously for over a decade- I use a daily moisturizer with SPF, cleanse and tone every night, exfoliate once/wk and do a mask once/wk.  I use Neutrogena for the every day stuff but l love playing with different companies and products for masks/scrubs/treatments- my current fave is Herbal Dynamics.
  • Options
    Been going white for last two years and just can’t commit to colouring. I’m blonde so hoping it just looks extra blonde. 

I recently changed from foaming cleanser to micellar water for cleansing. Much better for my super dry skin. Need some sort of anti aging routine though. 

Get pedicures res every few months. Probably should go more often. 
  • Options
    @NOLABridesmaid I'm turning 40 in December. I have been getting little white hairs around the edges of my hair since maybe 35. I don't bother with dyeing it. Might change my mind in the future or not.

Beauty routine-wise, been big on keeping my hair and skin moisturized. I have afro-texture hair that has fine, straw-sized spirals. I LOVE the volume and having big hair, but it gets very dry if not properly moisturized. After a lot of trial and error, I found a great product line that works wonders (Form Beauty). Also started making my own creams from raw shea butter and other essential oils. Keeps my hair and skin super soft and smooth.

I treat myself to long epson salt baths and bath bombs after workouts. Like once every three or four months, I treat myself to a spa day with massage and sauna. Wish I could afford it more often!

I used to get my nails done once a month, but fell out of it since we settled into our new home. I miss my old nail salon and now need to find another one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2018
    I've never colored my hair. We'll see how long it takes me to get some grey!

Re: feet. I have really rough feet, especially the heels. The best thing I've found that doesn't cost as much as frequent pedicures is just taking a pumice stone into the shower with me and scrubbing my feet with it a couple times a week at the very end of the shower so my feet have plenty of time to soak during the shower. 

If anyone has acne recommendations, I would love to hear them! I never had a problem with acne as a teen/puberty, but I've had adult acne for years now. :s  Nothing I do clears it up. 

Every time I run out of cleanser and moisturizer (something like that typically lasts me a couple months - so over the recommended 6-8 weeks or whatever you should use something to let it take affect), I buy something new.

Things that don't work:

-Mary Kay Timewise
    -Mary Kay Botanicals
    -Mary Kay Clear Proof
    -Proactive
    -Neutrogena ClearPore cleanser/mask
    -Neutrogena Naturals purifying facial cleanser and a matching moisturizer
    -Neutrogena Oil free acne wash pink grapefruit
    -Acure Seriously Soothing
    -Biore Pore Unclogging Scrub
    -Clean and Clear something
    -Garnier Micellar Water (although I do like using it for removing makeup and such, just doesn't do anything for acne)
    -Aveeno Clear Complexion something
    -Simple something
    -Olay Total Effects revitalizing foaming face wash

Wow. I've never written that all out before! It's a lot! And kind of sad. And there's probably more I don't remember. 

The latest thing I'm trying is St. Ives apricot scrub. I'm also considering trying an old school cold cream as well as something with tea tree oil. So far, I've mostly used salycic acid stuff, and I want to try an alternative to that, because it's obviously not working! I've also considered trying Rodan and Fields, since I know some people really like that stuff. Charcoal seemed to be helping for awhile. I have a twice-weekly mask I LOVE, so I got the Biore cleanser (which has charcoal) listed above. And it helped a little, but not as much as I hoped and then seemed to taper off in effectiveness. Although, that might also have to do with me being pregnant. Last pregnancy, my skin stayed the same or got a tiny bit better, and I was hoping that would happen again. 

Sorry for the long post!
  • Options

Re: feet. I have really rough feet, especially the heels. The best thing I've found that doesn't cost as much as frequent pedicures is just taking a pumice stone into the shower with me and scrubbing my feet with it a couple times a week at the very end of the shower so my feet have plenty of time to soak during the shower. 

If anyone has acne recommendations, I would love to hear them! I never had a problem with acne as a teen/puberty, but I've had adult acne for years now. :s  Nothing I do clears it up. 

Every time I run out of cleanser and moisturizer (something like that typically lasts me a couple months - so over the recommended 6-8 weeks or whatever you should use something to let it take affect), I buy something new.

Things that don't work:

-Mary Kay Timewise
    -Mary Kay Botanicals
    -Mary Kay Clear Proof
    -Proactive
    -Garnier Micellar Water (although I do like using it for removing makeup and such, just doesn't do anything for acne)
    -Simple something

Wow. I've never written that all out before! It's a lot! And kind of sad. And there's probably more I don't remember. 

The latest thing I'm trying is St. Ives apricot scrub. I'm also considering trying an old school cold cream as well as something with tea tree oil. So far, I've mostly used salycic acid stuff, and I want to try an alternative to that, because it's obviously not working! I've also considered trying Rodan and Fields, since I know some people really like that stuff. Charcoal seemed to be helping for awhile. I have a twice-weekly mask I LOVE, so I got the Biore cleanser (which has charcoal) listed above. And it helped a little, but not as much as I hoped and then seemed to taper off in effectiveness. Although, that might also have to do with me being pregnant. Last pregnancy, my skin stayed the same or got a tiny bit better, and I was hoping that would happen again. 

Sorry for the long post!

A coworker of mine has really bad acne. She's been using a doctor prescribed medicine to treat hers and I've noticed that her skin is clearing up and she's gained a lot of self-esteem, seems more bubbly and confident. I don't remember the name of it, but while she takes it she can't drink any alcohol. Have you talked to a dermatologist?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    frances_l said:

Things that don't work:

-Mary Kay Timewise
    -Mary Kay Botanicals
    -Mary Kay Clear Proof
    -Proactive
    -Simple something

Sorry for the long post!

A coworker of mine has really bad acne. She's been using a doctor prescribed medicine to treat hers and I've noticed that her skin is clearing up and she's gained a lot of self-esteem, seems more bubbly and confident. I don't remember the name of it, but while she takes it she can't drink any alcohol. Have you talked to a dermatologist?
    Yes, this. I've had acne most of my life. Every dermatologist I've gone to has given me an antibiotic or something with benzoyl peroxide. My most recent doctor, though, gave me a face wash, toner pad thingys and a cream with sodium solfacetamide. This has worked way better than anything else. But it's been really hard on my skin so I use it every other day or so, switching with the Aveeno that's nice and gentle but you said you already tried.

I know it's expensive but you might want to give Clinique or Philosophy a shot. They both have acne products, and I believe smaller trial size sets. I love both Clinique and Philosophy for other things but didn't get a whole lot of results from the acne stuff, but everyone's different! I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser every morning since it's so nice and gentle. And on the rare occasion that I need moisturizer, I use theirs too. 

Also, do you do things like drink a ton of water, change your pillow case often, etc? I was horrified at the difference I noticed when I started changing my pillow case every other day and flipping it on the other days. 

I'm also a picker and have made myself stop touching my face, which has helped. I also got one of those little zit popper tools that is way better on my skin than popping the old fashioned way (and they heal so much faster!).

Oh, and I know they're expensive and I've never tried the off brands but I love my clarisonic. I'd go back into my burning house to rescue that thing. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited August 2018

Things that don't work:

-Mary Kay Timewise
    -Mary Kay Botanicals
    -Mary Kay Clear Proof
    -Proactive
    -Simple something

Sorry for the long post!
    I was told that the scrub has walnut shells in it, which could actually tear your skin - if you read up on it, there's a few lawsuits.  I use a micro scrub from micro polish I think it's called?  It's a gentler scrub.

I also subscribe to curology and like it a lot.  It's $25.00/month or $40/two months.  You submit your pictures and tell the medical provider your problems, and they custom make a formula for you.  It's just one cream. Two pumps a night.  Even I can do it.  I noticed smaller pores already and better texture.  Still have rosecea but not as bad.

edit for: I have been using this for less than a month...so of course I'm going to have to give it more time.  I initially went to it for my laugh lines/crows feet which I HATE and all I can see when I look at myself now.  So I'm hoping this helps.

• Options
    I'm turning 38 next month and I've been dying my roots now for a few years. The greys are just too much, and very noticeable. I go in to see my colorist every 4-5 weeks. 

My nails are another thing I just don't do myself because I'm terrible at it. I go every 2-3 weeks and get a pedicure and a gel manicure. 

I've seriously stepped up my skin care game. Moisturizer with SPF for my face every day, night creams and eye serums every night. Exfoliating once a week.
    Same. I’m all about sheet masks twice a week too. And sadly I now get hangovers that show in my face so I really try to limit my drinking. 
  • Options

Things that don't work:

-Mary Kay Timewise
    -Mary Kay Botanicals
    -Mary Kay Clear Proof
    -Proactive
    -Simple something

Sorry for the long post!
    Have you tried any Rx stuff? Prescription strength retin-a or spirinolactone?  
  • Options
    VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2018
    I know it's expensive but you might want to give Clinique or Philosophy a shot. They both have acne products, and I believe smaller trial size sets. I love both Clinique and Philosophy for other things but didn't get a whole lot of results from the acne stuff, but everyone's different! I use Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleanser every morning since it's so nice and gentle. And on the rare occasion that I need moisturizer, I use theirs too. 
    I use the Clinique acne line.  It's a good balance for me, doesn't dry me out too much and seems to keep my acne under control.  I LOVE their acne face mask (takes 5 minutes to dry and if I have any blemishes, they seem to be reduced in both redness, irritation, and painfulness every time) and the spot treatment.  I use the bar and toner every morning/night.  I use moisturizer only if I need it, which is usually in the dead of winter.  I have a Neutrogena I use that's for combination/oily skin.

The only anti-aging product I use is the Clinique firming eye cream.  The hooded lid is becoming more pronounced as I age.  I can tell a difference in both crows feet and the lid protrusion when I'm using it.  I've also used the Clinique spot diminisher in the past, b/c I have 2 brown spots on my face that I loathe.  Oil of Olay actually made an amazing anti aging produce for oily skin, but they stopped making it after a year.  I'll die mad about it.

K and I have resolved to start getting pedicures at least once a month. I love having my nails done, but I type so much, it's just not worth it to me.
  • Options
    I have not gone to a dermatologist. I would like to someday, but so far, I haven't been able to justify the cost. It wouldn't be covered by insurance. My H has been encouraging me to do it sometime, because he knows it bothers me. I have not done any prescription meds for it either. Many, if not all, prescription options are off the table for the foreseeable future because I'm pregnant and will be breastfeeding for the next 2.5 years at least. I was never done breastfeeding between this pregnancy and my last one, and odds are good that will happen again after this baby, haha, pushing my constant pregnant/breastfeeding to the next four years or more.

I have heard that about St. Ives, but I've also heard good things. I am being careful to not scrub too hard with it. 

I've never used a clarisonic, but I do have a different-branded brush that is somewhat similar. I like it but don't know that it helps much. 

I do try to drink lots of water, but could definitely increase more. It's hard though. The most I've been consistently drinking in a day ever is about 80 ounces, and even that feels like so much and hard to down consistently. I don't change my pillowcase super often, I could do that more. 
  • Options
    I have the small clarisonic (Mia 2) and I love it. I use it with the Korres Greek Yoghurt cleanser and my skin is always so soft and clean (without feeling too dry) afterwards. 

@lovesclimbing I know you said you can't justify the cost, but if it will make you feel more self-confident (plus some acne is painful), then I think a trip to the dermatologist is worth it. There are options that are safe with breast feeding. Changing your skin health isn't a frivolous cost, especially if it boosts your self-confidence. 

• Options
    @lovesclimbing ditto the recommendation to go to the Dermatologist. I get that it is an expense, but you may find that you are actually spending more money on products that don't work. I like to think of it that way ...
  • Options
    I also would need to find a good dermatologist. I don't consider myself to be super organic/natural/crunchy, however I am very pro holistic wellness and natural remedies. So I'm honestly not too keen to take medication for a cosmetic problem, although I would potentially be willing if it was pretty short term. So I would hopefully find someone who would be supportive of that and work with me on non-medication treatments. And living in Alaska, I'm not sure there are very many dermatologists at all, much less doctors like that. 
  • Options
    I also would need to find a good dermatologist. I don't consider myself to be super organic/natural/crunchy, however I am very pro holistic wellness and natural remedies. So I'm honestly not too keen to take medication for a cosmetic problem, although I would potentially be willing if it was pretty short term. So I would hopefully find someone who would be supportive of that and work with me on non-medication treatments. And living in Alaska, I'm not sure there are very many dermatologists at all, much less doctors like that. 

Doing a quick google search, I found at least 10. Not sure where you are in Alaska, but I think it is worth checking out. I think most practitioners will work with you if you let them know your goals. If you don't want to be on medication long term, be up front with that and let them know that you are more interested in daily skin care regimens that are more natural based. I think you could also call around and ask prior to booking the appointment if they have references you could talk to.
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Doing a quick google search, I found at least 10. Not sure where you are in Alaska, but I think it is worth checking out. I think most practitioners will work with you if you let them know your goals. If you don't want to be on medication long term, be up front with that and let them know that you are more interested in daily skin care regimens that are more natural based. I think you could also call around and ask prior to booking the appointment if they have references you could talk to.
    Honestly I think most dermatologists aren’t going to spend anytime on this. They are doctors treating a medical problem with the best tools they have, which are medications. If you’re not interested in that it’d be a waste of time and money to go. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Honestly I think most dermatologists aren’t going to spend anytime on this. They are doctors treating a medical problem with the best tools they have, which are medications. If you’re not interested in that it’d be a waste of time and money to go. 
    Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. I don't believe medications are always the best tool to treat issues with. Sometimes, certainly, but far from always. And there are plenty of functional and holistic medicine doctors out there that try to help you achieve wellness without needing to be on meds for extended periods of time. And I don't really consider acne to be a medical problem. I suppose it is, but it's a relatively minor cosmetic issue. 

@ernursej, yup, I've googled as well. I do know they are out there, just don't know of any beyond a google search. 

Honestly, where I'd probably start is with a functional medicine doctor that a few family members of mine and a friend have gone to and then ask for recommendations from him. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I am terrible about skin care and barely remember to put on my spf moisturizer each day. I have heard good things about using a toner/cleanser with witch hazel and using rose hip oil for fine skin repair <- @lovesclimbing  I need to get better about doing the bare minimum for my face because I am ready to jump into some botox.
    I do get a massage about monthly and same with a pedicure. My nails are horrible so manicures never last but I will get them because the pedi will often come as a package.
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Well, I'm going to disagree with you there. I don't believe medications are always the best tool to treat issues with. Sometimes, certainly, but far from always. And there are plenty of functional and holistic medicine doctors out there that try to help you achieve wellness without needing to be on meds for extended periods of time. And I don't really consider acne to be a medical problem. I suppose it is, but it's a relatively minor cosmetic issue. 

@ernursej, yup, I've googled as well. I do know they are out there, just don't know of any beyond a google search. 

Honestly, where I'd probably start is with a functional medicine doctor that a few family members of mine and a friend have gone to and then ask for recommendations from him. 
    I think all of that is totally fine, I just think it means you shouldn’t bother seeing a dermatologist since it seems complicated and expensive for you to do, and you aren’t really interested in their main purpose. 
  • Options
    @starmoon I'm going to disagree. My dermatologist refuses to put anyone on meds until they are following a regular cleansing routine for at least a month. She found that a lot of people don't need medication but the right products and then they were good. I don't necessarily think that every derm is going to be the same, but there are those that are interested in more than just pushing pills.
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    @starmoon I'm going to disagree. My dermatologist refuses to put anyone on meds until they are following a regular cleansing routine for at least a month. She found that a lot of people don't need medication but the right products and then they were good. I don't necessarily think that every derm is going to be the same, but there are those that are interested in more than just pushing pills.
    Me too. I've been to several (thinking back, probably 10?) dermatologists and only one put me on an oral medication up front. Hell, I've asked for the antibiotic and been told that it's usually a last resort since it's not good for the body to take those for an extended period of time.

And there are a TON of topical treatments that can be used for acne so that's generally (in my experience) where a dermatologist will start. 

Lovesclimbing, I won't push you to do something you don't want to, nor do I want to push you out of it, but I do think that there are dermatologists that are willing to help you and work with you and your wants and needs. Even your PCP may be able to help. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    ernursej said:
    Me too. I've been to several (thinking back, probably 10?) dermatologists and only one put me on an oral medication up front. Hell, I've asked for the antibiotic and been told that it's usually a last resort since it's not good for the body to take those for an extended period of time.

And there are a TON of topical treatments that can be used for acne so that's generally (in my experience) where a dermatologist will start. 

Lovesclimbing, I won't push you to do something you don't want to, nor do I want to push you out of it, but I do think that there are dermatologists that are willing to help you and work with you and your wants and needs. Even your PCP may be able to help. 
    Oh I was considering topical Rx treatments medication! I agree jumping straight to oral medications would not be typical. 
  • Options
    ernursej said:

Oh I was considering topical Rx treatments medication! I agree jumping straight to oral medications would not be typical. 
    Oooh! Well yeah in that case I agree with you. I guess I was assuming lovesclimbing meant oral medications.