Wedding Woes

Wednesday

teacher assignments were supposed to come out at 8 today. The site is still down and parents are about to mutiny. I’m laughing.

That’s all for today. It’s raining and we’re hitting a movie. 

Re: Wednesday

• Hah, I'm kind of giggling imagining about a bunch of over-protective grade school parents flipping out. Calling the school DEMANDING to know why they aren't telling them who little Suzy's teacher is. 

Checked out bank account this morning and it was WAY higher than it should be. Our tax return finally came! But it was less than it should have been so now I get to spend my lunch break on hold with the IRS. I was hoping to bring pillow cases from our bedspread and our guest comforter set to BB&B to get new sheets. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Today is closing day!!

We got final numbers last night & the agent has the keys. Barring anything completely unpredictable we’ll be homeowners again this afternoon! 
    Ahhhhhh yay!! Finally!! I'll save my "congrats" for later so as not to jinx you! :):smile:
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • @6fsn I find it giggle worthy when I see how parents flip out.   I live in a small town with 3 elementary schools, 1 middle and 1 HS.   

-Some parents will get UP in ARMS about what district that they're in based on the school itself.   They're ALL GOOD.     I could possibly buy that argument in other towns with clear differences in the high school offerings, safety, etc but we're talking about 3 small elementary schools.   Great googly moogly!  

-We're in the middle of refurbishing the 3 schools at the moment.   Asbestos abatement is underway at Chiquita's and the parking lot is torn up.  We don't start until the last week of August.   Parents who are evidently also construction site planners started to ask "What will we doOOOooo if the school isn't ready?"  Buddy, I guarantee you that your kids will be doing JUST FINE even if there's some unpaved area in the school driveway.   It will be OK.   Promise. 

@charlotte989875 congratulations!  
  • Has anyone here ever gotten a tattoo removed? Is it THAT much more painful than the tattoo was?
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    @6fsn, I bet the parents are more distraught that the students who are getting the teachers!
    @charlotte989875, keeping my fx for you.  I did a short sale and the closing took ALL day (there was some miscommunication with the lawyers which set it back  a few hours too).  H closed on the condo in January and was done in one hour! I think less. Here's hoping yours take more around the 1 hour mark :)
    @shessocold, no I haven't.  I would think, with the technology we got, it shouldn't be too too much pain.  I don't think I know anyone who has tried.  GL with that. Is this for you or H?

The spy who dumped me was cute.  I told H he's planning date night tonight but we're broke so it's not going to be dinner out anywhere or anything that costs money.  $5 says we'll be using our "free" movie pass again :)  

edit; My damn blood glucose censor came off yesterday.  It lasted just a  tad bit over 24 hours.  After looking up some message boards - it's pretty common if you're active or swim.  I do resistance training 5x a week. I don't think the censor option is right for me.  I'm going to see if i can return it because I'm sad for losing all that money..

• edited August 2018
    @6fsn, I bet the parents are more distraught that the students who are getting the teachers!
    @charlotte989875, keeping my fx for you.  I did a short sale and the closing took ALL day (there was some miscommunication with the lawyers which set it back  a few hours too).  H closed on the condo in January and was done in one hour! I think less. Here's hoping yours take more around the 1 hour mark :)
    @shessocold, no I haven't.  I would think, with the technology we got, it shouldn't be too too much.  I don't think I know anyone who has tried.  GL with that. Is this for you or H?

The spy who dumped me was cute.  I told H he's planning date night tonight but we're broke so it's not going to be dinner out anywhere or anything that costs money.  $5 says we'll be using our "free" movie pass again :)  
    For me. I have one tattoo and I'm over it. LOL. H can fall asleep during tattoos so if he wanted one removed, he'd be fine.

I got a consultation and the guy said it feels like grease popping your skin. But I have a laughably low pain tolerance (I nearly passed out getting my ears pierced) so I'm worried. Plus it'll take like 11 sessions so I worry that I won't be able to handle that many and it'll just look bad. He said 45 seconds each time which doesn't sound like much, but when I sit and count it out, it's foooorrrreeeeevvvvveeeerrrrr. 

ETA - I may have asked you guys this before and if so, I'm sorry. I got the consultation months ago and kind of put it in the back of my mind. Now that the rest of my body is starting to look the way I want it to and I'm more comfortable and wearing different clothes, this stupid kool-aid man on my ankle is annoying me.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    @shessocold, no I haven't.  I would think, with the technology we got, it shouldn't be too too much.  I don't think I know anyone who has tried.  GL with that. Is this for you or H?

For me. I have one tattoo and I'm over it. LOL. H can fall asleep during tattoos so if he wanted one removed, he'd be fine.

I got a consultation and the guy said it feels like grease popping your skin. But I have a laughably low pain tolerance (I nearly passed out getting my ears pierced) so I'm worried. Plus it'll take like 11 sessions so I worry that I won't be able to handle that many and it'll just look bad. He said 45 seconds each time which doesn't sound like much, but when I sit and count it out, it's foooorrrreeeeevvvvveeeerrrrr. 

ETA - I may have asked you guys this before and if so, I'm sorry. I got the consultation months ago and kind of put it in the back of my mind. Now that the rest of my body is starting to look the way I want it to and I'm more comfortable and wearing different clothes, this stupid kool-aid man on my ankle is annoying me.
    interesting! I didn't know any of that.  I have one I'd like removed and redone properly and moved to a different location.  Love it - just not where it's at.  I have my next tat and artist in mind, I just have to save up and prioritize. Boobs before ink I say.

what if you just did a cover up?  You can find someone to cover up the kool aid man with something you'd like more?

edit: the guy doing my neck tattoo said I would have to stop laughing or it wouldn't turn out right.  Also, I was tipsy. 

• @mrsconn23 that puppy is breaking my black heart.

Imposter syndrome flared real ugly last night and I'm in a headspace again.  I feel like I have enough wisdom under my belt to know that this is a thing and it will pass.  I also need to just sit in the corner and cry and wonder WTF I'm doing.  But no sleep, b/c the nightmares are gross too.  So, that's enough insight into my messy brain.

Work is getting messy.  Most of my job is X, with a little bit of Y.  Y takes a lot more work and organization, but I enjoy Y so it's not a big deal.  Only Y is suddenly becoming a lot more than it used to be, and X isn't getting smaller.  And my workplace is simply not a structured supportive one.  I keep my head down and do my job well and I'm mostly left alone and that's fine.  But this work load might not be manageable for very long.  We'll see how it goes.
  • @6fsn, I bet the parents are more distraught that the students who are getting the teachers!

interesting! I didn't know any of that.  I have one I'd like removed and redone properly and moved to a different location.  Love it - just not where it's at.  I have my next tat and artist in mind, I just have to save up and prioritize. Boobs before ink I say.

what if you just did a cover up?  You can find someone to cover up the kool aid man with something you'd like more?

edit: the guy doing my neck tattoo said I would have to stop laughing or it wouldn't turn out right.  Also, I was tipsy. 
    I've thought about a cover-up but it would have to be too big. I'd rather get it removed than get another tattoo I'm not super crazy about. And my stupid huge dog's feet are too small to cover the whole thing. 
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    @banana468 our 4th high school opens this year with just freshman and sophomores it’s close to 1700 students. Parents go apeshit over redistrictung. Fact is all the schools are nationally ranked but some are “poor” compared to others. 
  • mrs.conn she's so cute!!!! And I love the name! How fun!

Also somehow I missed your post from yesterday. I'm sorry you experienced that and I'm sending you good vibes. Like everyone said, you're taking steps and that's HUGE. For me, that first step is always the hardest. Keep taking care of yourself. <3
  • I work my PT job tonight.  Also looking into buying garlic, shallots, and beets to plant next month. I'm not sure if I am going rent space in the community garden down the road or if I am going to try my hand at container gardening on our balcony. 

We shall see!

Congrats on the new house @charlotte989875 fingers, eyes, and toes crossed! 
  • 6fsn said:
    @banana468 our 4th high school opens this year with just freshman and sophomores it’s close to 1700 students. Parents go apeshit over redistrictung. Fact is all the schools are nationally ranked but some are “poor” compared to others. 
    Luckily in this town we're still at one school for HS.   Flipping over an elementary school just boggles the mind - like we'll have some group showing up to the middle school that's just not advanced as their peers who went to school in the the northern area of town.

I can sort of understand this in towns where you have a serious dichotomy between schools in both the students, violence and possible education offered but that just isn't the case here.    
  • Congratulations @charlotte989875!

Trying to hang in. No word on any job I've applied to except for one company that asked for my references before interviewing me, interviewed me, seemed to really like me, promised me they'd "get back" to me the following week, stayed silent for several weeks and never contacted me, then (in response to a follow-up contact from me) told me that they'd decided to downgrade the job but wanted to "keep my resume on file for when they wanted to hire for that level again."

I'm working a survival job at another tiny CPA firm for peanuts. I cannot pay for my rent, gasoline or groceries based on the pay (my parents continue to chew me up about helping me out). My boss here gave me an assignment and told me to do it by looking at how it was done in prior months, which I spent hours doing. Yesterday he dumped it back on my desk telling me I did several things wrong, which I did based entirely on how the previous person did it. He said that was wrong and tried to make me responsible for correcting those "errors" (I have no way of knowing what the correct way to do it is and he didn't tell me). I put it back on his desk with a note saying that I can't tell what's "correct" from looking at prior months if those months are not correct. Nor will I accept any future assignments from him that he hasn't vetted and corrected first. I don't get paid nearly enough to live on let alone put up with that BS.
  • That puppy is adorable! 

School drama is another reason I don’t want kids. I’m sure it’s like this everywhere but it is crazy night and day here between the public schools in areas with money and the one’s in straight middle class/poor areas. Our district is shitty, I think the highest ranking school has a 4/10. 

Final today. I’m really nervous. Then work for three days in a row. Ugh. 

Fingers crossed for the key hand off, Charlotte! 

• @mrsconn23 I want that puppy!

@charlotte989875 Fingers crossed!  Yes, yesterday was primary day and let me tell you - the future is female!  As for the hubs, he didn't have an opponent so his goal was to come within 12% of the sitting rep - he beat him by 15%!!  I'm so proud of him and the work he's putting in for this.  He now has a huge target on his back as the most likely seat to flip in our corner of Metro Detroit, but bring it!  

@Jen4948 that's brutal, I'm sorry.  I struggle with having just a paycheck job so I can imagine how disheartening this whole thing must be for you.

@shessocold are you open to hvaing it covered with something more close to you instead of having it removed?

@levioosa - my sis lives in Florida where the schools are notoriuosly bad.  The drama and work to get a kid into the right school rivals what you see in rich New York!  The nugget is only 3 and my sis is already stressing about application strategies.  No thank you.  
  • @mrsconn23 I want that puppy!

@charlotte989875 Fingers crossed!  Yes, yesterday was primary day and let me tell you - the future is female!  As for the hubs, he didn't have an opponent so his goal was to come within 12% of the sitting rep - he beat him by 15%!!  I'm so proud of him and the work he's putting in for this.  He now has a huge target on his back as the most likely seat to flip in our corner of Metro Detroit, but bring it!  

@Jen4948 that's brutal, I'm sorry.  I struggle with having just a paycheck job so I can imagine how disheartening this whole thing must be for you.

@shessocold are you open to hvaing it covered with something more close to you instead of having it removed?

@levioosa - my sis lives in Florida where the schools are notoriuosly bad.  The drama and work to get a kid into the right school rivals what you see in rich New York!  The nugget is only 3 and my sis is already stressing about application strategies.  No thank you.  
    Super excited to see Rashia Tlaib win! And yay for Mr. Mitten. Where do you watch returns come in. 

On another note in politics my Congressman was arrested on conspiracy to commit wired fraud today. 
  • The school story reminds me of my childhood. Oh, the nostalgia! Every August we'd go camping and the drive home (6 hours, btw) took us by my K-8. By the time we made this drive, the classroom assignments would be posted on the front doors. It was SO EXCITING to run up and see which teacher I got and which friends were in my class! << sniffle >>

So it makes me laugh that any delay in posting online would cause an uproar. Those parents probably have little kids annoying the living daylights out of them to find out who the teachers are. 

• Man, Jen, I'm sorry you're going through this.

But this kind of thing is when I stop, breath a little and tell myself "these people sign my paychecks. If they want to pay me to do the same crap over again (or whatever), then I'm gunna do it". I hope you asked for some help with figuring out what the problems are or offered a solution rather than just saying "I can't fix this and I refuse to do anything else" because, I gotta say, that looks pretty bad, IMHO.

Good luck finding something different.
    One of the best words of advice I received was years ago from my aunt and uncle.   They worked with someone who said, "If you want me to put the green suit on today I'll put on the green suit.   If you want me to put the red suit on I'll put on the red suit.   As long as you're paying me that's fine." 

So as long as my employer is not asking me to do something that's completely against the law or established policy I'm going to do what they asked and will just be as nice as possible while clarifying exactly what needs to be done if I'm confused.    

It's an outlook that's helped me along and have quoted a Few Good Men saying, "As long as you're not ordering me to carry out the Code Red I'll do what you need me to.  If I'm not paid per task I don't care. 
  • This whole school thing is funny to me, when we were kids we found out who our teacher was in our end of the year report cards of the last day of school. My SIL (who teaches 7th grade ELA) said most districts have stopped this because so many parents would complain and demand changes throughout the summer. 
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2018

What a cute puppy!!  H and I go back and forth all the time about wanting a dog or not.  Obviously cute puppy pics always make me lean toward yes!

I have book club tonight, which I'm very excited for - I wasn't able to make it last month and don't have a ton of girlfriends in my immediate suburb so it will be really fun!

We also have some friends visiting this weekend (yay!) but our house is a disaster and we will need to do some major organizing/cleaning in the next couple days (boo)

• Jen - I'm sorry you are struggling.  I hope you find something soon.  May not be perfect for you, but Amazon is going to be hiring 200 virtual workers soon in a variety of positions, not just customer service.

MrsConn - Prayers for DHs uncle.  Also - that puppy is so cute!

Charlotte - Fingers crossed all works out!

Kimmi - Congrats to Mr. Mitten!  Hoping that  he beats his opponent the same way in Nov!

We went down to the local National Night Out in my development.  It was nice.  DD had fun dancing (she is a Spice Girls fan! LOL!) and playing on the playground.  And everywhere you looked parents were drinking beer!  One woman even had one of those Tervis cups that has the wine glass inside.  Guess we know to pack a 6-pack for next year!  We stayed about an hour, then headed back.

Tonight is yoga and then I have to pop over to my brother's house on the way home.  I'm about to jet off for a UPS store to drop off a return and then over to Whole Foods to grab lunch.

• @charlotte989875 I haven't met her but know a lot of people who have, she's fantastic!  

We went to two parties for the returns, one for local candidates neighbording H and the other for Haley Stevens who I'm stoked about!  She was the chief of staff for Obama's Auto Rescue Team and is probably the most geniune candidate I've ever met!
  • GBCKGBCK member
    Ipicked up the puppy from the vet, she is now fixed (YAY).

Today's my day off and I got rid of the poison ivy in the back yard--I immediately scrubbed w/ anti-uriosol scrub, we shall see if I turn into a mess or not.

I have gotten excellent feedback on some of my new volunteer-revolving stuff @ work, yay.
    And on that topic, CROWDSOURCING from WW.... if you had $100 to buy a generic 'thank you' gift for, say, 20-25 recurring volunteers, who are about 1/3 high school students, 1/4 retirees, and a mix for the rest, what would YOU buy them?

• GBCKGBCK member
    (also, I don't have teacher assignments and i JUST got the 'find the supply list on our website' email...
    And the website lists k-5 supply lists--with a note for the kiddo's grade that says 'coming soon'
    I know, I know, it's nothing.
    But, if I have 2 weeks, I can shop around and kick ass at buying stuff.  If I have 1 week, it costs me more and the school doesn't GET 5 extra boxes of kleenex from me, because I don't find the deals.
    Unreasonably annoyed. )