Pre-wedding Parties

Evite for Rehearsal Dinner

We are having a small wedding, 100 guests approx. and only one couple standing up with us. We will have a couple people doing readings so there will be very small group involved in the ceremony itself. Also we are thinking the readings will be done by two nieces. I am also thinking it will be a casual dinner (tacos or pizza)

So can we invite only the immediate family and the couple standing up with us? Of course the officiant as well. Would evites be ok or tacky?

Re: Evite for Rehearsal Dinner

• MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its

We are having a small wedding, 100 guests approx. and only one couple standing up with us. We will have a couple people doing readings so there will be very small group involved in the ceremony itself. Also we are thinking the readings will be done by two nieces. I am also thinking it will be a casual dinner (tacos or pizza)

So can we invite only the immediate family and the couple standing up with us? Of course the officiant as well. Would evites be ok or tacky?

Honestly, it sounds as if you could skip a rehearsal altogether with such a small wedding party.  You could send the readings ahead of time for your nieces to practice and familiarize themselves. 

If you plan on a rehearsal, then you do need to invite anyone involved with the ceremony.  Depending on the age of your nieces, you would need to invite their parents and possibly siblings.  There is no rule that says a rehearsal dinner needs to be formal or fancy!  I think for something small and casual, evites would work!
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Evites sound fine.  My RD sounds similar- just immediate family, our small BP + their SOs, and it was back to our place for pizza and wine.  We did word of mouth/texting and it worked out fine. 
  • Evites would be fine. The only issue with them are that not everyone pays attention to Evites or  takes them seriously, so they might be overlooked. I'd give your rehearsal dinner invitees a heads-up to expect one that contains your rehearsal dinner information.
  • I agree with the other PPs.  You all don't even need to have a rehearsal and then skip the rehearsal dinner all together, if you want.  But, if it is something you all would like to do, it doesn't need to be anything very formal.  An evite is fine though, like @Jen4948 said, I'd probably text/call to make sure they know about and got the evite.  Tacos or pizza for dinner is fine.

Our rehearsal dinner invites were phone calls.  We didn't even have the dinner at a restaurant.  My mom, aunt, and FI (now H) cooked up the food and we had it at my grandma's house. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Agreeing with everyone else. Evites are fine, but they do sometimes get stuck in the spam filter. You could even send an email from your personal account to lessen the chances of the info getting overlooked for filtered. 

You don't necessarily *need* a rehearsal, but if you do choose to have one, pizza or tacos is totally fine. I've been to RD's like that and they were super fun :) 
  • Evites are fine, but you should also tell people personally in case the spam filter catches the invite. My D and her F's rehearsal dinner was also super casual, at a pizza place. They had the people in the wedding, including the priest, the families of the participants, and the families of the bride and groom. All told, it was about 45 people. 

One thing to make clear is who is doing the hosting. In our case, the bride and groom were paying for the dinner with money given to them as a wedding gift from the groom's parents, so they were technically the hosts. Sometimes it's not clear in casual situations who is actually hosting the event, but your Evite can make this clear. And definitely have the guests RSVP!