Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon help

Planning to go up the west coast wine tasting any advice on best locations

Re: Honeymoon help

• I've only been to Napa once, and it was because I was in San Fran and my flight was canceled for 2 days due to a snow storm back on the east coast. 
    My husband and I drove over the Golden Gate bridge, which was very cool. We toured Robert Mondavi, which was beautiful. We ended up joining their wine club, which then gave us free access to 3 or 4 more wineries. 

There really is a lot to do between Napa and Sonoma. I have a friend that did the train tour and loved it. 
  • I'm partial to Frogs Leap - you're able to wander a bit more freely than at some.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to anticipate and plan for an early day. People in wine country start early with tours & tastings, typical dinner times are like 5-6pm, and most everything shuts down by 9.
  • bizzy592 said:
    I'm partial to Frogs Leap - you're able to wander a bit more freely than at some.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is to anticipate and plan for an early day. People in wine country start early with tours & tastings, typical dinner times are like 5-6pm, and most everything shuts down by 9.
    Ditto to Frog’s Leap! Also Black Stallion. And if you’re planning to make it downtown San Fran definitely check out Fisherman’s Warf if you like seafood or Chinatown if you like authentic Asian. If you feel like wandering a little further south, the drive down the Pacific Coast HW is absolutely beautiful, and Santa Cruz is about 2 hours away and 20 degrees warmer than the Bay. 

Whatever you get into, enjoy your trip!
  • I love Napa and Sonoma area. I would recommend staying in one locations and then planning 1-3 days in each of Napa, Sonoma and then outlying areas. Consider booking a car to take you around. They can help customize your route and no one has to drive. I would suggest between 2-3 in 4 hours depending on how much you want to try and how much time looking around at each place. I have loved Arrowwood, Peju the most. You could also consider Livermore. It is an up and coming wine area that is significantly cheaper but just as tasty. Try Occasio ... one of my favourites. 
  • Also go past CA wine region and visit the Redwoods as well. It's an indescribable feeling; primeval -- and it doesn't require a hike! You can drive up and just walk in a little ways to see it if you want. And you won't regret that amazing drive up CA1.
  • maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2018
    My in-laws lived in Sonoma for 20 years, so I am partial to that area. It tends to be less crowded than Napa, although that is changing. Lots of fantastic wineries in both places, and both have excellent restaurants. 

ETA: Pay attention to fire reports. Both areas are frequently and significantly affected by wildfires, so if your honeymoon is in the spring or summer, definitely stay on top of the fire situation, and have a plan B destination. Some friends of ours had to cancel their wine tasting trip because parts of Sonoma were in the evacuation zone. It's nothing to worry about, just to be prepared.