Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Bridesmaids Gifts Ideas

Looking for ideas (somewhat inexpensive) to add into the bags I will be getting for my bridesmaids. I will be putting in a cup with their names, possibly a tank/shirt, and their jewelry. Is this enough? Or would add more smaller items in each?

Re: Bridesmaids Gifts Ideas

• Looking for ideas (somewhat inexpensive) to add into the bags I will be getting for my bridesmaids. I will be putting in a cup with their names, possibly a tank/shirt, and their jewelry. Is this enough? Or would add more smaller items in each?
    It sounds as if the cups are a "done deal".  I'm not really sure why anyone would want a personalized cup, but "make it work" by filling it with something specific to each friend.  I say "friend" rather than bridesmaid because the gifts should be for your friends.  Fill a cup with delicious chocolates for the friend with the sweet tooth, or a bottle of nail polish for the friend that always prefers a polished nail.  If you have not purchased the tank/shirt yet, then STOP!  Replace it with something each friend would truly appreciate that is UNRELATED TO THE WEDDING.  If "their jewelry" is some type of matching, identical "something" to be worn the day of the wedding, then unfortunately that is really not a gift in the sense that it was considered for your friends.   It was considered for your wedding and what would make the pictures look prettier.
  • I think it's fine to give jewelry, even all the same thing, if it's something you think they would all enjoy, and if you don't expect them to wear it as part of some bridesmaid uniform.

My daughter gave each of her bridesmaids a very pretty necklace. They were all similar except for the color of the pearl. She made it clear that it was a gift, not that she wanted them to wear it on the wedding day. Two of them wore the necklace and the other three wore something else.

The main thing is to be sure it's something you've thought about, not some token thing.
  • I think it's fine to give jewelry, even all the same thing, if it's something you think they would all enjoy, and if you don't expect them to wear it as part of some bridesmaid uniform.

My daughter gave each of her bridesmaids a very pretty necklace. They were all similar except for the color of the pearl. She made it clear that it was a gift, not that she wanted them to wear it on the wedding day. Two of them wore the necklace and the other three wore something else.

The main thing is to be sure it's something you've thought about, not some token thing.
    I have to disagree a bit.  I never wear a necklace as I cannot stand anything around my neck. My daughter has freakishly small wrists and almost never wears a bracelet.   I almost always wear silver jewelry, but my daughter prefers gold.  No group of girls will likely all like an identical piece of jewelry. 
  • MobKaz said:
    I think it's fine to give jewelry, even all the same thing, if it's something you think they would all enjoy, and if you don't expect them to wear it as part of some bridesmaid uniform.

I have to disagree a bit.  I never wear a necklace as I cannot stand anything around my neck. My daughter has freakishly small wrists and almost never wears a bracelet.   I almost always wear silver jewelry, but my daughter prefers gold.  No group of girls will likely all like an identical piece of jewelry. 
    My sister LOVES gold jewelry, whereas I owe maybe one pair of gold earrings (that she might have bought for me) and everything else I owe is silver. We have similar styles, we even have the same prices in different metals, but we definitely don’t like the same pieces of jewelry. 

That said; I agree with everyone above. You know your friends best, shop for things you know they, individually, will appreciate. 

I think this is fine, but ONLY if the bolded is true. And I think the odds of having a group of 3-4 women or more who all like identical jewelry is, I expect, very very slim. The number of bridesmaid groups who all have identical taste in jewelry is much smaller than the number of bridesmaid groups who are given identical jewelry. 

I know this for a fact because I am one of those bridesmaids who was given identical jewelry as everyone else. In this case, it was intended to match the wedding. I wore it for the wedding and haven't touched it since. One of the bridesmaids does wear hers. But it was definitely not to all of our tastes as evidenced by the fact I never wear it. 

For the record, I have also received individualized jewelry, and that piece, I wear all the time and a couple of the beads are starting to crack because I wear it so much. 
  • They did like the necklaces. I'm not a jewelry person either, and neither is my daughter, but she knew her bridesmaids wore necklaces. I thought the pieces were very pretty because they were so simple and light.

• They did like the necklaces. I'm not a jewelry person either, and neither is my daughter, but she knew her bridesmaids wore necklaces. I thought the pieces were very pretty because they were so simple and light.

Sure, but while my best friend and I both wear necklaces, I like the "simple and light" minimalist kind, and she doesn't usually wear stuff like that. I have another friend who likes the same "simple and light" necklaces, and wears necklaces about the same frequency as I do, but - she wears silver, because that's what looks good with her skin, and I wear gold/brass, for the same reason.

And even if they do all like necklaces AND a minimalist style of necklace AND the same color scheme, etc.... great. But why, exactly, do they all need to be identical? What is the good of that? It just looks lazy. Getting people different stuff (even if it's relatively similar) makes them think you're seeing them as an individual you care about and whose contributions you appreciate. Getting everyone identical stuff makes them think you're seeing them as... someone you were required to get a gift for.
  • Knowing someone likes necklaces is not the same thing as knowing they all like exactly the same style as everyone else. 

When I was given the same necklace as everyone else, I said something along the lines of "Oh, wow. Thank you!" I certainly didn't let on that it was very, very much not to my taste, and I wore it with a smile at the wedding. So also, just because someone is polite about something doesn't mean they love it or will use it/wear it/enjoy it after the wedding is over. 
  • Oh, well, folks, it's done!  :smiley:
    Thanks for your opinions.
  • A bride got us pearl necklaces for our bridesmaid gifts.  I love pearls.  I love them so much that I already had 3 necklaces similar to the one she got.  I haven't worn it since the wedding.