Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How much do you typically "tip" or donate to your pastor for officiating the ceremony?

Hi all, we just received confirmation that a family friend of ours, who is a pastor, will be officiating our wedding in June 2019. I was wondering how we go about paying/donating to them? I know most don't have a fee, but it's customary to donate to their church. How much is average or acceptable for this donation? Also, the ceremony is not at the church itself. 

Re: How much do you typically "tip" or donate to your pastor for officiating the ceremony?

• MRDCleMRDCle member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2018
    Our officiant (who was in seminary) asked us to donate to a school in need in lieu of a payment and I think we ended up donating about $300?

ETA: our ceremony was also not at a church. 
  • We were married in the church and it had its own fee.  We did also tip the priest who I’ve known since high school- $100 gift card to his favorite local restaurant and a $50 Mets gift card (to use at Citi Field, he goes to lots of Mets games). 
  • Ours was $200 I believe
  • We gave (or rather, my parents) gave him $100. The ceremony was held at a different church, and that church had a fee as well of somewhere around $100-$200.