Wedding Woes

Tuesday

I have training in 1/2 an hour. ugh!

Question for you knotters...I know I'm asking it a bit late but a good baptism gift from the godmother (me) to a godson (nephew) is a cross for the wall or something and a bible right.  Now, should this bible be juvenile made FOR kids or like the real deal?  

Re: Tuesday

• You beat me to it, Pam! Personally I'd go with a children's bible for now. I assume the kid is young and this can be his first bible. Since you're his godmother and will likely be around for more things like this, you can get him an adult bible for his confirmation or something like that.

Shhhhh, don't tell my work. I'm in the office and I have a fever. I know. I shouldn't be here. But I called in yesterday and I have very little PTO and I thought it would look bad if I called in again.

Also shhhhh...I went to the Bears game last night. I broke my mom's only rule when I was a kid. If I'm doing something fun on a weeknight, I need to go to school before and after. But it was Urlacher night and we WON! 

You can get shoes with your dogs face on 'em. So that's my agenda for the day - pick out a picture or two of my rump roast to put on shoes. I'm so excited.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • You beat me to it, Pam! Personally I'd go with a children's bible for now. I assume the kid is young and this can be his first bible. Since you're his godmother and will likely be around for more things like this, you can get him an adult bible for his confirmation or something like that.

Shhhhh, don't tell my work. I'm in the office and I have a fever. I know. I shouldn't be here. But I called in yesterday and I have very little PTO and I thought it would look bad if I called in again.

Also shhhhh...I went to the Bears game last night. I broke my mom's only rule when I was a kid. If I'm doing something fun on a weeknight, I need to go to school before and after. But it was Urlacher night and we WON! 

You can get shoes with your dogs face on 'em. So that's my agenda for the day - pick out a picture or two of my rump roast to put on shoes. I'm so excited.
    girl, sick days should never be used when your'e sick! 
    We used to get unlimited sick days.  Until...you guessed it.  It was abused. 

• I think it's so silly that companies track sick days. If you're really sick, it's definitely not a vacation. If you have small kids or a crappy immune system or something that causes you to get sick more often it's crazy to me that you should have to use your vacation time!!! Hope you feel better SSC.
  • It’s 1032. I’ve worked out, logged an hr work, been to the orthodontist, got them donuts for breakfast, made a doc appointment for 6let for tomorrow (he’s struggling to breath), wrapped his bday presents, and now I’m sitting at the pediatric dentists with max. It’s only Tuesday and I want to cry. 
  • Feel better, @ShesSoCold! H's company doesn't track sick days, you just need a doctor's note if you are out for 3 or more days. On the other hand, he only gets three weeks of vacation and none of it rolls over.

Also, I need to know where I can get shoes with my dog's face on them. I'd be all over that.

This week is already insane. I work in employee benefits and it's coming up on open enrollment for all of our clients. This time of year is crazy and I'm already missing things I shouldn't be. I can't wait for February.
  • Oh my gosh this family is here with 5 out of control kids. I’m in no mood for them. 
  • Feel better, @ShesSoCold! H's company doesn't track sick days, you just need a doctor's note if you are out for 3 or more days. On the other hand, he only gets three weeks of vacation and none of it rolls over.

Also, I need to know where I can get shoes with my dog's face on them. I'd be all over that.

This week is already insane. I work in employee benefits and it's coming up on open enrollment for all of our clients. This time of year is crazy and I'm already missing things I shouldn't be. I can't wait for February.
    https://www.groovebags.com/collections/custom-dog-products

You're welcome.

I'm in the same boat with work. I've been putting off and putting off and putting off getting my 2019 medicare certification and now I'm in panic mode to get it done this week before I'm knee deep in renewals. Good luck!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • STUCK

SSC - Medicare - blech! 
  • I used to work for a company that lumped sick, vacation, AND holidays into one big PTO bucket.  But it did end up being almost 7 weeks of PTO time.  So it wasn't like they were trying to "scam" employees out of the total typical amount of time most companies give out.  Plus, all of it rolled over from year to year.

It was weird, at first.  Especially the holidays part.  But I ended up really liking it.  Do I want to work on Memorial Day and take a less crowded 3-day weekend at another time?  Why, yes I do!  Not a problem.  No need to "fake" being sick.  Doesn't matter.  It's all of out of the same "bucket".

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm annoyed.  We thought we had some great opportunities landing in our laps re: drag and they're suddenly morphing into shit shows.  K is upset too.

Work is annoying me.  Apparently, my partner's show is out of town is not important, so I can't use make up time.  But kid's games get leveled important and you can use make up time.  It's bollucks and another example of how childless adults are ranked as less precious than parents.  It's fine and I'll get over it, I'm irritated right now though.

Other than those things, I probably should've just stayed in bed.  I didn't want to get up this morning, there was a spider in my car, and ex-DH passed me on the way to work.  These were basically universal signs that today was not my day.
  • I finished Handmaid's Tale last night and therefore dreamed about Gilead all night.  Oy. 

DH is having work struggles right now.  There's a guy who's probably going to get fired and DH is going to have to take over for him.  His manager counterpart is having a lot of serious issues at home and hasn't been in yet this week.  And he's dealing with employee issues too, that aren't really *his* issues but are falling in his lap due the other manager being out.  Plus he's on a huge process improvement project and has audits in the next month or two.  He got home late for him the last 2 nights. 

I left a bag at the store last night.  I was too tired and frazzled to call them about it.  I'll just replace the ~$10 worth of stuff tonight.  I forgot something I need anyway.  It's just annoying. 

I got stuck behind some older woman in line at the store last night who screamed "eccentric rich lady" and would not STFU about every last thing she was purchasing and what she was using it for (a new comforter, lamp, Halloween decorations, etc). 

I've been feeling funk-ish today.  Hopefully a workout will help.  I am off work tomorrow and I need the day off to get shit done and just decompress without having to worry about work. 
  • Thanks, ladies.

People would definitely abuse unlimited sick days here. We don't get separate sick, vacation, etc. Just one big dump every year for everything. Which does suck, but in their defense, they start with a lot more PTO than anywhere else I've worked.

So, again, I know this sounds dumb but yesterday, I wore shorts to the Bears game. 62,000 people, plus the national media, were looking at my legs. And I didn't even die! I'm pretty proud of myself. 
    Yes all of it sounds dumb. You’re at your office sick with a fever. And bragging about it. Hope you don’t get anyone sick. So selfish. 
  • Thanks, ladies.

People would definitely abuse unlimited sick days here. We don't get separate sick, vacation, etc. Just one big dump every year for everything. Which does suck, but in their defense, they start with a lot more PTO than anywhere else I've worked.

So, again, I know this sounds dumb but yesterday, I wore shorts to the Bears game. 62,000 people, plus the national media, were looking at my legs. And I didn't even die! I'm pretty proud of myself. 
    Yes all of it sounds dumb. You’re at your office sick with a fever. And bragging about it. Hope you don’t get anyone sick. So selfish. 
    "Bragging" is a bit of a stretch, but I know that's your deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 6fsn said:
    Oh my gosh this family is here with 5 out of control kids. I’m in no mood for them. 
    Ugh.  Obnoxious, uncontrolled kids in small spaces is the worst.  
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018

I took a vacation day yesterday, because I was having to devote my whole morning to court anyway.  My eviction against PITA tenant was granted!  Although the judge asked if I would be willing to give her until the end of this month.  We're so far in the month anyway, and the tenant had at least paid the majority of this month's rent, so I agreed.  Her legal aid lawyer assured the judge she would be out by Sept. 30th, if not sooner.  If not sooner, my ass, lol.  No way she is leaving any earlier than that.  She NEVER would have left if I hadn't filed for an eviction.  I was hoping for sooner, but now I have a court order to MAKE her leave by midnight on Sept. 30th.  If she doesn't, I can go back to City Hall the next day and request a constable visit, which often only takes a couple extra days.  So, it's not quite over yet.  And I'm always worried what disaster I'll be left with when a bad tenant moves out.  But it's so great to finally have a definite end, in sight.

--------------------------------------------

Do not read the rest of my post if you are already hungry.  I had an awesome last three days of foodie experiences, lol.

Yesterday, H and I celebrated the court win, with a nice lunch downtown.  Since we were down there anyway for court.  We ate at Johnny Sanchez, which is a restaurant owned by the Chopped judge, Aaron Sanchez.  My carne asada taco was surprisingly disappointing and really lacked flavor.  But my albondigas taco (Mexican meatball) was unbelievably good.  Supposedly, it is Aaron's grandma's recipe.  My H loved his food (black bean soup and chicken mole) so, overall, a wonderful and relaxing lunch.

I could have gone to work after lunch, but had already planned and told my work I was taking a vacation day.  So we just went back home and vegged out after the stressful morning.

Backing up to the weekend.  It was even more fun with food, lol.  We went to a nearby place for brunch on Sat.  It had a good special for Restaurant Week and we had been wanting to try it.  Great food!  And one of the "courses" was a mimosa or a bloody mary, which is my kind of "course", lol.  I had pulled pork eggs benedict.  Which was over an apple fritter, of all things, lol.  Definitely a salty with sweet type of dish.  It was pretty gratuitous.  It also came with a side of boudin hash.  Boudin is a local type of sausage that is mixed with rice.  I have never seen it prepared as a hash, so I had to try it!  And what a great idea it is ;)

On Sun., a friend/neighbor took us out for brunch for watching their cats while they were gone for two weeks.  Amazing food there also.  Bottomless mimosas and she was driving, so that was especially a treat for me.  I had Eggs Sardou, which is a Creole breakfast dish.  It is typically served like an eggs benedict.  A poached egg on top of creamed spinach, hollandaise sauce, and artichoke hearts.  This particular restaurant also threw in some fried oysters.  Just for good measure, lol.  Plus, we all had such a fun time hanging out.      

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks, ladies.

"Bragging" is a bit of a stretch, but I know that's your deal. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    We all have our hills to die on! My mother is gravely ill, I’d hate to pick up a fever from a coworker who came to work knowing she was sick and accidentally transmit it to her before realizing I had it. I know lots of people simply cannot take sick days but for those of us who can, we should. And you can, and didn’t 
  • We got woke up at 3am with the police ringing our doorbell. Random dude was drunk driving and when cop tried to pull him over he pulled into our driveway, up to our garage and claimed to live here. Cop didn't buy his story, he ended up arrested then they had to tow the car and call someone to pick up drunk girl passenger. We just got settled back in bed and cop rang bell again asking to see H's ID. He had to have our info for report I guess. Who can go back to sleep after all that. I'm sure H is dragging at work. 

Drove church lady around all morning to Dr and her errands because her car engine blew up and I found out she's been walking everywhere. Hopefully a nap is my next thing.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    6fsn said:
    Oh my gosh this family is here with 5 out of control kids. I’m in no mood for them. 
    Ugh.  Obnoxious, uncontrolled kids in small spaces is the worst.  
    One was like 8/9 years old throwing a bouncey ball around the waiting room. 
  • @CharmedPam the resident Catholic Knotties (Banana? Flan?) can correct me if I’m wrong, but if your god-child is Catholic I think there are specific gifts you are supposed to get them per each stage of life (like confirmation, baptism, etc)? I could be wrong. Lol

@ShesSoCold feel better! 

@6fsn that sounds so annoying. 

@VarunaTT I hear your struggle. FI has problems with bigger raises at work because we don’t have kids. He hasn’t even corrected anyone about his student loan status (not that it’s their business anyways) because if they knew he was done paying them it would make his raises even more pitiful. And people with kids get so. much. leeway. It’s not even funny. They leave early all the time, take multiple days off work, etc. He needs a new job. 

Yesterday at the clinic was long. I’m over being abused by patients. I was fired and yelled at by multiple patients for refusing to prescribe their “usual.” Aka narcotics they didn’t need. I guess I’d rather be known now in the community as a prescriber who wont hand out narcotics like candy while I don’t have a license to stress about. People are starting to know me on sight. “I don’t want you. You don’t give the good stuff.” We had a provider who left who was the Oprah of narcotics and it really hurt the clinic. People will pull up in vehicles together, like 2-5 people in one car, and try to get “their usual.” Then they’re royally ticked when we won’t give it. And of course they’re on edge because they’re already out. We don’t have security so it makes it a little scary to say no all the time too. Which is why they keep coming as well, because there’s still 1-2 providers there they can bully and scare into giving them drugs, even if it’s small amounts. It’s kind of awful. And it makes me angry that the rest of my patients have to deal with longer wait times and safety issues when they’re already struggling just to get to the clinic. The other patients need help too, which is the ethical dilemma, but they won’t take it, and we’re stuck in the endless cycle of me recommending other meds and services and them getting furious that I won’t just prescribe narcotics and let them go. It just gets to me sometimes and it’s really exhausting. 

Studying today for an awful quiz tomorrow. I have a friend staying over tonight so she doesn’t have to spend the 4 hours on a quiz eve driving to and back from home. Trying to figure out if I should cook or door dash dinner. I have a real problem. Lol

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2018
    @levioosa people at his work get better raises because they have kids? I've never heard of a place doing that (of course I'm sure they would deny doing it)

that would be unnerving at the clinic
  • We got woke up at 3am with the police ringing our doorbell. Random dude was drunk driving and when cop tried to pull him over he pulled into our driveway, up to our garage and claimed to live here. Cop didn't buy his story, he ended up arrested then they had to tow the car and call someone to pick up drunk girl passenger. We just got settled back in bed and cop rang bell again asking to see H's ID. He had to have our info for report I guess. Who can go back to sleep after all that. I'm sure H is dragging at work. 

Drove church lady around all morning to Dr and her errands because her car engine blew up and I found out she's been walking everywhere. Hopefully a nap is my next thing.

No way!  What a crazy night!  I wouldn't be able to sleep after that either.  Not to mention, I'm sure it was initially terrifying to see police at the door.  My first thought would be something horrible had happened to a loved one.

My crazy police story...well, not mine personally, lol.  It happened years ago, but it's a good one, lol.  A criminal, who had been in the back of a police car, ended up stealing it when the officer had briefly left the vehicle.  It was never explained how he did that.  Probably for good reason, lol.

At any rate, the guy is driving like a maniac because the police are getting closer.  He ended up running up onto the sidewalk and front yard of my neighbor.  Hit a historic landmark sign for that property.  Bounced back on to the road.  Where he sideswiped my landlady's car.  He jumped out of the car and took off down the side yard of the neighbor on the other side.  He probably would have run down the side of our house, except it was gated. 

Our whole neighborhood was cordoned off for hours.  People couldn't enter or leave their homes, because the police didn't know where this guy was.  In fact, they didn't even catch him that night.  But did find him the next day. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @CharmedPam So baptisms are tougher when they're infants, but I tend to stay away from "keepsake" gifts that the kids will have no interest in for a while and go with something they'll enjoy now (just because they'll forget about it in the interim and then it will mean less, unless it's like their great-grandmother's prayer book). Right now DD is really into the children's Bible she got for her baptism, and I think it's good that she has that rather than assuming she'll want to pull a fancy large one off the shelf in many more years. So I'd go with something beautiful if it will go on the wall (because even small kids appreciate good art) and a children's Bible.

There's a "traditional" gift that I only heard of via DH's family, where you get the kid a silver cup engraved with their name and baptism date. I think this only makes any sense whatsoever if the cup gets used to pour the actual water at the baptism, which I believe is the origin of the tradition. You probably don't have time for that one.

Finding adorable Catholic stuff is one of the rabbit holes I get sucked down, and many friends of friends are pretty solid Etsy artists and craftspeople. If you need future recs, I will do way too much research and might present you with something like this, which my 7yo godson got along with his birthday gift this year:
    image 0
  • @pegasuskat YEARS ago before DH and I were engaged I had a one bedroom apt and woke up at 3 AM to pounding on the door because my neighbor (shared a wall) heard screaming.   Looking back I let the cops in and shouldn't have but it scared the SHIT out of me and I made DH sleep over the following night. 

@levioosa I don't think there are standard gifts to give for Catholic Sacraments but there are ones that pretty typical.   The children's bible is a good one.   When DH and I were Godparents for our niece we gave a children's Bible and a Waterford cross (both SIL and I are Irish).     They're Chiquita's Godparents and gave her a children's Bible and a Belleek cross.

• @kvruns they don’t say they do...but people will conveniently get big raises right after they say they’re pregnant, or having another kid (not around/in addition to their annual review time). So...

It’s a family owned company that wants to pretend it’s big, but they can’t figure out how to actually run like a professional corporate business so there’s a lot of shenanigans that go on. Like the fact that FI has been there over 5 years and he only has ten days of vacation. As a manager of a department. 

• @pegasuskat that's crazy! 

I'm considering possibly throwing an engagement party for my brother. I can't do it at my house, since we're having siding and a new door installed next month and I have no idea how long that's going to take. So I'm trying to get some pricing together to see what it would cost. BUT I'm still waiting for my brother to give me some idea of a head count. 
  • @levioosa, there was a doctor here in the NOLA area who was well known for giving out whatever opiods and/or methamphetamines people wanted.  Her office was near a shopping center area that my H and I go to.  And, before the story broke out, we had many times wondered, "Huh, what's going on there?"  Because it looked like a normal doctor's office that one would assume had typical doctor's hours.  Except there'd be lines out the door at all hours of the day and night.

Miss Dr. apparently took a lot of methamphetamines herself to keep her almost 24-hour business running and all that money rolling in.  That is not an assumption on my part, it came out when the shutdown and story hit the news.

Here is one of the most disturbing parts.  She wasn't even hiding what she was doing.  She even hired off-duty police officers for her security team.  But it took something like two years and hundreds of FBI man hours to bring her down.  A pharmacist, whose son had died of an OD, had personally surveilled and gathered a lot of evidence against her.  He was one of the pharmacists who saw the patterns, but was the only one who spoke up.  In fact, at one point, he started refusing to fill opiod prescriptions written by her and got fired.

On top of that, she hasn't even permanently lost her medical license.  Despite the fact that she was convicted and is now in prison.  She doesn't currently have a medical license and it sounds like it will be a big process for her to get it back, once she is out of prison.  But it's possible she can, smh. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Irrational annoyance- mil posted a happy birthday message to my son on her page. She made zero effort to see him last weekend and has said nothing about seeing him this coming weekend. She won’t call him tonight, but she’ll put a message on Facebook that he’ll never see. 
  • @CharmedPam, I agree a children's Bible is appropriate. The boys received one from one of their godmothers. DD and SIL are Catholic the godmother is protestant and the wife of a pastor. It is a wonderful little storybook Bible that has questions to ask the child after they read the story or have the story read to them. Another godparent gave them a book of poems compiled by Caroline Kennedy. It was poems that she grew up learning from her mother. Some close friends of DD's gave the boys a Mary and Joseph "doll" - I put it in quotes because they aren't really dolls. I think they are parts of a play set that can be added upon, from like a saints group. Maybe they can be made into a child's Nativity set. Anyway, it was from a Catholic based company. I know having a child friendly Nativity is a great idea. I had a wooden one for my kids so that they could move the  pieces around without fear of breaking them.
  • 6fsn said:
    Irrational annoyance- mil posted a happy birthday message to my son on her page. She made zero effort to see him last weekend and has said nothing about seeing him this coming weekend. She won’t call him tonight, but she’ll put a message on Facebook that he’ll never see. 
    That is annoying, but not surprising.  :/