Wedding Woes

Tuesday

2»

Re: Tuesday

• If you want ANYTHING painted on shoes I’ll recommend https://www.etsy.com/shop/KaitlinHennessyArt?ref=search_shop_redirect. She also does custome animal paintings- chewy.com uses her. I get sucked into her videos on Instagram 
  • Oh!  One of my favorite things for little kids is the Fisher Price Little People Nativity set.   It's the Nativity set that we use for the holidays because kids like to play with the figurines and I don't find it useful whatsoever to have fragile Christmas decorations while my kids are the reason we can't have nice things.

@6fsn could you respond to MIL with something like, "Oh thanks for remembering!   If you want to wish him a happy birthday you can call after X time."  It essentially tells her that you're not telling him anything and she gets no free pass because she typed it. 
  • banana468 said:
    Oh!  One of my favorite things for little kids is the Fisher Price Little People Nativity set.   It's the Nativity set that we use for the holidays because kids like to play with the figurines and I don't find it useful whatsoever to have fragile Christmas decorations while my kids are the reason we can't have nice things.

@6fsn could you respond to MIL with something like, "Oh thanks for remembering!   If you want to wish him a happy birthday you can call after X time."  It essentially tells her that you're not telling him anything and she gets no free pass because she typed it. 
    I don’t want to talk to her and frankly neither does he. My guess is sometime around Thursday she’ll call to see if we can do lunch over the weekend then get butthurt when we tell her no. We’ve got 6 soccer games. 
  • I have training in 1/2 an hour. ugh!

Question for you knotters...I know I'm asking it a bit late but a good baptism gift from the godmother (me) to a godson (nephew) is a cross for the wall or something and a bible right.  Now, should this bible be juvenile made FOR kids or like the real deal?  
    I got my goddaughter “50 fearless women in science” book and a depositnin her college fund because that’s how my sister and I roll. 
  • Today has been long. I had a big presentation at 1 and I went fine but I could have done better. And I had a meeting with my boss’s boss, that was also fine but again I feel like it could have been better. Maybe it’s still relatively new job but I just feel behind. Maybe I’m just exhausted. 
  • I got savings bonds from my godparents for my baptism and I *think* a precious moments looking cross. For my confirmation my godmother gave me a nice platinum cross necklace and money.
  • I have to say, I"m infuriated by the 'lets give out meds like candy' attitude...and the backlash to it which is why I was treated like a drug seeker while waiting in the ER.
    (although, really, my reg doc understood why I was infuriated.  THey EVENTUALLY gave me norcos--I had 'better' norcos at home [I am a migraine sufferer, I have a reasonably stocked narcotics cabinet) , that I hadn't taken because I was sure something was wrong and wanted to properly explore the 'pain exists for a reason sometimes' problem that made me puke with pain whenever I moved.  They have my medical records, it should be obvious I'm not a fequent flier.  But, whatever.  I eventually got drugs and now I"m NOT taking drugs [ok, not any 'good' drugs--gabpoentin and steroids] and I"m...tolerable.  Not great, but, hovering around a 4 on my pain scale.  WHich...last week at this time, with drugs, I was an 8.  I'll take it)

My parents have been awesomely shuttling me to every doc's appt for a week, as well as 'babysitting' when I was at the 'can't be home alone or I get stuck on the couch and may fall over and die' state.
    I'm doing a lot better now--they did confirm herniated disk, but it's not 'that bad'.
    Official as of last night, they say I"m doing well enough that I DON"T need spinal injections (YAY) and that I start PT on Friday (YAY).

Work ahs been OK, I can't go back until Oct (at least) which...technically my job is small enough that they are exempt from FMLA...so, I could be screwed.  As it is, no income from me for a month isn't going to be fun.

But I'm capable of walking around my house without a cane at the moment.

• @CharmedPam I gave my goddaughter nice clothes and some infant play toy (she was 5 mos old at the time), as opposed to a keepsake.  All three of my kids were baptized in infancy, I'd say the gifts were 80% cash, 18% clothes, and there was a kiddie bible or two thrown in...no jewelry or crosses though.  Not a baptism gift but ditto @banana468 my kids have a Fisher Price Nativity set that's like their favorite Christmastime toy.  And I love that they stay away from my gorgeous, breakable Nativity set :D

@short+sassy all that food sounds amazing!  @pegasuskat yikes what an unnerving night!  @levioosa that sounds awful!  And scary and frustrating.  Sorry you're dealing with it.

My school's Guidance dept has a new chairperson who's really into setting goals and making big posterboard scorecards.  He's a big-shot (one of the Varsity football coaches) and was formerly a Social Studies teacher here and I'm all for everyone having a shot at promotions but sometimes the fact that he wasn't a counselor and is now in charge of the counseling dept shows.  He wants all seniors to apply to at least 5 colleges by late Oct and he wants them to have applications in on at least 3 by the end of this month.  CommonApp does make it easy to apply to several schools but he's making it this big competitive thing and some of my coworkers are getting swept up.  Deciding which schools to apply to are a huge talk and he's been very "yeah!  Apply to Yale!  You never know!" and not in that "reach for the stars" way.  Or pushing the $75,000 a year schools to students who are receiving financial aid to attend our school.  He wants numbers now but he's not seeing that the most important number is in April/May when every senior has been accepted to a school that's a great fit.  That's my work vent.  SSDD otherwise.

• Boy was I wrong about mil. She called from her cell then 5 minutes later from sfil’s cell to find out when to call tonight. 
  • banana468 said:
    Oh!  One of my favorite things for little kids is the Fisher Price Little People Nativity set.   It's the Nativity set that we use for the holidays because kids like to play with the figurines and I don't find it useful whatsoever to have fragile Christmas decorations while my kids are the reason we can't have nice things.

My dad had a fragile chess set he loved that successfully made it through my and my sister's childhood.  Mainly because it was put away when the "writing was on the wall".

My mom tells the stories...more in the vein of how kids have their own little personalities early on....that, when I was a toddler, I was mostly quiet and obedient.  Or at least as much as toddlers can be.  They brought the chess set back out and put it on the coffee table in the living room.  My mom said that, every once in awhile, I would touch one of the pieces and then look at her.  Checking to see if it was still "off limits" ;).  She would say with a slight warning tone, "No, Jenny.  Don't touch."  And I'd leave it alone for weeks until my next "test".

But when my sister reached toddlerhood, she'd check to make sure my mom wasn't watching, lol.  And then play with the chess pieces.  The chess set was quickly put away until she was old enough to stop bothering with it, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:

My dad had a fragile chess set he loved that successfully made it through my and my sister's childhood.  Mainly because it was put away when the "writing was on the wall".

My mom tells the stories...more in the vein of how kids have their own little personalities early on....that, when I was a toddler, I was mostly quiet and obedient.  Or at least as much as toddlers can be.  They brought the chess set back out and put it on the coffee table in the living room.  My mom said that, every once in awhile, I would touch one of the pieces and then look at her.  Checking to see if it was still "off limits" ;).  She would say with a slight warning tone, "No, Jenny.  Don't touch."  And I'd leave it alone for weeks until my next "test".

But when my sister reached toddlerhood, she'd check to make sure my mom wasn't watching, lol.  And then play with the chess pieces.  The chess set was quickly put away until she was old enough to stop bothering with it, lol.

Things Chiquito has done:
    -Swapped DVDs and scratched DH's Star Wars New Hope DVD.
    -Scratched his Pearl Jam remastered CD.
    -STARTED MY CAR.
    -Affixed foam bathtub letters to our guest bath wall.   With lotion.
    -Smeared sunscreen on my car and leather couch.

Those are some of the first things that have come to mind.   He's adorable but we're not buying nice things for a while.