Wedding Woes

let's get this party started

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited September 2018 in Wedding Woes
Thursday!  w00t, w00t. 

Yesterday was a pretty good day.  I stared it out by getting an amazing massage and then did some shopping.  I scored some badass deals on shoes and clothes for the kids and me.  

We ordered a trampoline for the kids and we didn't get all the parts.  The company was on it and sent them out right away, so we got all the parts in last night and set it up the rest of the way.  DefConn was in heaven. 

I stopped into see my mom at work yesterday while out and about.  She still doesn't have a surgery date yet.  I hope her patient coordinator can get some stuff moving along and get her questions answered.  

ETA: For my pod people, SERIAL dropped season 3 today.  I loved the preview, so I have high hopes for this season.  I think they want to forget season 2 happened.  ;) 

I'm ready AF for this heat to break.  I want sweater weather.  

Prudie coming up.  

Re: let's get this party started

• I always wanted a trampoline as a kid. My parents said no because I’m clumsy 😒

Michelle Obama’s book  tour is coming to Philadelphia and I was able to get a presale code! I’m so excited to see her!

Today is game day – I’m hoping we can get our first win in 2 years! I feel really good about tonight. However, I say that about every game.

I love fermented foods – especially sauerkraut. We have not been able to find our favorite brand since leaving Cleveland…until yesterday!! H found Cleveland Kraut at the grocery store and omgggg I’ve missed it. 

Our favorite flavor is roasted garlic  which contains both raw and roasted garlic, with the cabbage tossed in salt and pepper. Our second fav is whiskey dill – its garlic, dill, and a hint of barrel aged whiskey. It’s so good! If you are interested, Wholefoods carries all seven flavors!

• I'm glad defconn finally gets to use his new trampoline!! And continued vibes for your mom and that she gets the best care possible.

I'm feeling better and better. Hopefully I'll be completely over this cold by the end of the weekend. 

Next weekend I have a wedding Saturday, a Bears game Sunday and H and I are debating going to a concert 2 hours away on Monday. It's our favorite band and we did see them when they came here a couple months ago. I'm torn between being the fun concert-goer I used to be and the old crotchety lady who's in bed by 9:30.

Remember Big Yard Guy down the street from me with his house for sale for a ridiculous amount? It's "contact pending" and I am ITCHING to know what they got for it. ITCHING.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • yeah I want to try that, @nbsquared2017.  I love a good sausage & kraut plate and we're going into the season for that. 
    Kids love trampolines.  My nieces can really burn all their energy for the day on one @mrsconn23.

My county is really getting their money out of me this month.  I guess I have to pay my second citation ticket today after I saw the video.  Can't fight a California roll.  Or can I?......

SSDD for me. My parents are coming this weekend for my nephew's baptism, so I have to do the last minute cleaning tonight.  Fun stuff.

• Not much here. DH and I are currently sitting in the waiting room for a drs appt. The last one I was supposed to have was cancelled (because of a holiday or my dr going on holiday or maybe both) and the soonest they could reschedule me would have been 4 days ago. So my last appointment was almost a month ago, even though they are supposed to be weekly at this point. I am a little salty about it.

Then a friend is leaving DH’s company, not the city though, so tonight is his “going away party”. I am not in the mood to be around drunk people and am waffling between wanting DH out of the house and not waiting him to get drunk either. He said (after last weekend) he wasn’t going to drink until after the baby came in case he has to drive me to the hospital but I highly doubt that is happening tonight. Idk, I am just tired and cranky I think.
  • Hah - sharing this because I know there's some other EB people here.

I'm arguing with a group who has a company policy not to offer COBRA coverage to ex-employees for vision or dental. 

Federal law requires you to. They don't give even a little bit of a shit about your "company policy". Yet this woman keeps arguing with me like I have some sort of control over this. 
    So the woman works for the company and is willfully arguing that they're breaking federal law?  Wonder how well that will go for the company as a whole....
  • @NBSquared2017, now I want sauerkraut!  Though I don't think I've ever bought a jar of it in my life, lol.  Hmmm, I do have a Whole Foods nearby.

@ShesSoCold, your weekend sounds so fun!  I remember Big Yard Guy, lol.  As someone who shops for real estate more than the average bear, it drives me nuts to see something I want "pending", but I can't see for how much, lol.  Alas, it does not become public record until the sale closes.  In some jurisdictions, you can pull that info up, online.  It would probably even pop up on Zillow under the "Sold" category.  If not, your real estate agent can pull it up.

@CharmedPam, I tried to fight a traffic camera ticket.  It was for turning right on a red.  Which is allowed at that intersection, after coming to a stop.  I'm pointing to the city guy, as we are watching the video together...See?!?  Right there!  My tires ARE.STOPPED.  They are NOT.MOVING.

City Guy:  But you didn't stop looonnggg enough.  You have to be stopped for at least threeee secoonnddsss.  That's why the camera was triggered.

GTFO, smh.  Never mind that it was perfectly safe and there was no cross traffic coming.

Not much going on with me today.  I got my first shipment of Hello Fresh yesterday.  A FB friend sent me a link to get my first week for free.  We haven't even made the first meal and I am already like, "Oh, hell no.  This subscription needs to be cancelled TOMORROW."  I had already put a "skip" for next week, so I wasn't suckered into a second week before I had tried the first one.

Here is my biggest problem with them and I really should have known better.  It is still a lot of work to prepare the meals.  More than I had expected, actually.  Normally, when I am spending that much time preparing a dish, I'm making enough to have leftovers for 1-2 more meals.  But, of course, it is only enough ingredients for one meal for two people.  And those meals are average-sized, at best.

One item that had me lmao is the Peppercorn Steak meal with French fries.  In the picture of it, the fries are nice chunky steak fries and a normal length of about 4" long.  But the potatoes that came with this meal are 1-2" Yukon Golds.  I looked all through the bag, to no avail, for the magic fairy dust that will turn sliced potato stubs into 4" long French fries. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @NBSquared2017, now I want sauerkraut!  Though I don't think I've ever bought a jar of it in my life, lol.  Hmmm, I do have a Whole Foods nearby.

@ShesSoCold, your weekend sounds so fun!  I remember Big Yard Guy, lol.  As someone who shops for real estate more than the average bear, it drives me nuts to see something I want "pending", but I can't see for how much, lol.  Alas, it does not become public record until the sale closes.  In some jurisdictions, you can pull that info up, online.  It would probably even pop up on Zillow under the "Sold" category.  If not, your real estate agent can pull it up.

@CharmedPam, I tried to fight a traffic camera ticket.  It was for turning right on a red.  Which is allowed at that intersection, after coming to a stop.  I'm pointing to the city guy, as we are watching the video together...See?!?  Right there!  My tires ARE.STOPPED.  They are NOT.MOVING.

City Guy:  But you didn't stop looonnggg enough.  You have to be stopped for at least threeee secoonnddsss.  That's why the camera was triggered.

GTFO, smh.  Never mind that it was perfectly safe and there was no cross traffic coming.

Not much going on with me today.  I got my first shipment of Hello Fresh yesterday.  A FB friend sent me a link to get my first week for free.  We haven't even made the first meal and I am already like, "Oh, hell no.  This subscription needs to be cancelled TOMORROW."  I had already put a "skip" for next week, so I wasn't suckered into a second week before I had tried the first one.

Here is my biggest problem with them and I really should have known better.  It is still a lot of work to prepare the meals.  More than I had expected, actually.  Normally, when I am spending that much time preparing a dish, I'm making enough to have leftovers for 1-2 more meals.  But, of course, it is only enough ingredients for one meal for two people.  And those meals are average-sized, at best.

One item that had me lmao is the Peppercorn Steak meal with French fries.  In the picture of it, the fries are nice chunky steak fries and a normal length of about 4" long.  But the potatoes that came with this meal are 1-2" Yukon Golds.  I looked all through the bag, to no avail, for the magic fairy dust that will turn sliced potato stubs into 4" long French fries. 

see, I love my homechef delivery.  But even after having my stomach shrunk 80% - it's still a small meal to me.  But that's usually because I try to get low carb items, and if it does have a starch, i give that portion to H.   The prep for homechef hasn't been that bad for me.  Blue apron was worse. I had to shred my own carrots! At least homechef gives your pre shredded! and the garlic is peeled. Fresh but peeled!  Let me know if you want a HC coupon! 

• 6let's doc appointment yesterday was uneventful.  The doctor said everything looks fine physically and maybe it's just a tic.  I'm not sure I fully believe that.  She said if it continues, gets worse, or we just want a second opinion she'd recommend an ENT that could look for growths or polyps.  We already have a well child appointment for him next month so I'm ok with a little wait and see approach.

Yesterday afternoon I was SPENT so I curled up and watched a movie and took a nap.  It was much needed.  I feel much more equipped to face the little things that ARE little and shouldn't have been bugging me so much.  Of course I also told DH he needs to go to M2's soccer practice tonight.  I've had two nights in a row of those parents and I can't do a third.  I'll 6let to agility with my headphones and run it out.

I haven't been to the grocery since Monday.  We're down to 1 pear and 1 banana so I need to get there today.  I don't wanna gooooooooooo

• cupcait927cupcait927 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018
    Hah - sharing this because I know there's some other EB people here.

I'm arguing with a group who has a company policy not to offer COBRA coverage to ex-employees for vision or dental. 

Federal law requires you to. They don't give even a little bit of a shit about your "company policy". Yet this woman keeps arguing with me like I have some sort of control over this. 
    Dental and vision? Seriously? They're such cheap, basic benefits and I can't imagine why anyone would have an issue with them being offered under COBRA. Those kinds of questions make me crazy. I'm currently going down a rabbit hole because one of my small employer groups is insisting that their dental new hire waiting period is incorrect. Because I have SO MUCH TIME during open enrollment to research that.
  • see, I love my homechef delivery.  But even after having my stomach shrunk 80% - it's still a small meal to me.  But that's usually because I try to get low carb items, and if it does have a starch, i give that portion to H.   The prep for homechef hasn't been that bad for me.  Blue apron was worse. I had to shred my own carrots! At least homechef gives your pre shredded! and the garlic is peeled. Fresh but peeled!  Let me know if you want a HC coupon! 

Thanks, I will think on that!  Yeah, I was expecting the ingredients to already be chopped up and prepped.

From my perspective I'm thinking, "Hmmm, let's see.  What kind of time did I save with Hello Fresh.  Ummmm.  The maybe 10 minutes it would have taken me to look up a basic recipe and write those ingredients on my grocery list?"  Yup, lol.  That's about it.

It does seem like a lot of people love these type of services.  Which is why I drank the Kool-Aid and tried it, even though I wasn't sure I understood the appeal.

Confirmed.  I don't understand the benefit, lol.  Especially for the normal high cost.  At least not from Hello Fresh.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited September 2018
    @NBSquared2017 I saw one predicted that had the Browns likihood of winning at 60%+ so there’s that. 

I also always wanted a trampoline but my father said it “would ruin the yard”. I’m still salty about it. 

Not much here today, glad the week is almost over. I’ve got happy hour plans tomorrow and football games (playing) Saturday and (watching) Sunday. Also a ton of painting to do this weekend. Thankfully it’s finally a bit cooler out and we can have the windows open. 

Also I’m starving and do not feel like my homemade lunch is going to cut it today. 
  • eileenrob said:
    The massage and deals sound great @mrsconn23!  I begged for a big trampoline throughout childhood and my dad thought it was unsafe (they probably were back then) and my parents bought one on my 21st birthday.  We all still had a blast though. 

Last night during our evening call (we talk several times a day) my mom said she thought back to when we were all young and how a trip to Jamaica for a random cousin’s wedding would’ve been that last thing she would’ve done, and she apologized for overreacting.  So that was good.  Two of my other cousins (both of whom I’m close with) also recently got engaged so we’ll definitely have some weddings coming up :) SSDD otherwise. 
    Good for mom!   

What I would be open to now is hardly what I was open to pre-kids.   

I'm slowly starting to warm up to the idea of longer travel with DS.   There isn't a lot that's fun to me about traveling with all the STUFF kids need either.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2018
    see, I love my homechef delivery.  But even after having my stomach shrunk 80% - it's still a small meal to me.  But that's usually because I try to get low carb items, and if it does have a starch, i give that portion to H.   The prep for homechef hasn't been that bad for me.  Blue apron was worse. I had to shred my own carrots! At least homechef gives your pre shredded! and the garlic is peeled. Fresh but peeled!  Let me know if you want a HC coupon! 

Thanks, I will think on that!  Yeah, I was expecting the ingredients to already be chopped up and prepped.

From my perspective I'm thinking, "Hmmm, let's see.  What kind of time did I save with Hello Fresh.  Ummmm.  The maybe 10 minutes it would have taken me to look up a basic recipe and write those ingredients on my grocery list?"  Yup, lol.  That's about it.

It does seem like a lot of people love these type of services.  Which is why I drank the Kool-Aid and tried it, even though I wasn't sure I understood the appeal.

Confirmed.  I don't understand the benefit, lol.  Especially for the normal high cost.  At least not from Hello Fresh.

Right.  Now, I heard whole foods has a great meats/deli/butcher department, but I don't shop there to compare.  I do know that it's worth the cost for me for the quality of the meat from HC.  Chicken and fish especially.  I rarely do red meats on my orders.  If I do, it's ground beef.  I moved over to blue apron for ONE WEEK and almost wanted to write homechef to tell them I cheated on them and I am SO SORRY but now I know why I go to them only. For the quality (we tried hellofresh but ironically enough the produce wasn't very fresh to us!). I do like the way the recipes are written with the pictures and I love the convenience of everything being there for me.  I just was never a recipe book person.

That being said, @NBSquared2017 did convince me to buy the Chrissy Teigen cookbook yesterday, because...well, Chrissy Teigen. 

• Last night was nice and uneventful.  DD was in a good mood and we had lots of cuddle time while waiting for H to come home.  I think I am also finally breaking DD of her crying while I put her hair up.  At least this morning, she cried while I did it, but stopped once I had the pony tail in.  Maybe by next week, she will just sit there for me! 

If the weather holds today, we are on target to get the driveway done!  H is coming straight home today to get the first coat started.  I will pick up DD so he can work on it.  He is taking tomorrow off, so he can do the second coat.

I don't remember ever asking for a trampoline, though my parents probably would have said no.  But one friend got one.  It had just been put together earlier in the day.  I went over later for a jump and promptly flew off of it and landed on the box it came it!  Thank goodness for that box! LOL!  I think my friend bounced me off, but I don't recall how I ended up bouncing off of it!  This was in the days before the netting!

Yay Prudie Day!

• On the subject of trampolines, I have a funny story.  For a landlady, trampolines are the stuff of liability nightmares and I have it in bolded, capitalized letters in my leases that they are not allowed.

A few years back, I was talking to a wholesaler who had a couple rental properties up for sale that were only a few blocks away from each other.  They were both duplexes.  On "paper" I was very interested in both.  One of them already had tenants living on both sides.

I saw the vacant one first that needed substantial work.  Loved the numbers and, in fact, I did end up buying it.

Then we went to the next one.  And what did I see?  In the un-gated front yard there was a big trampoline that didn't even have a net.  The front yard wasn't even that level and had a slight slope to it  So the trampoline did also.

MOUTH.DROP.IN.HORROR.

Especially considering, it wasn't just the tenant's kids who could enjoy it.  Any ole' random child or drunk in the neighborhood could just head over and bounce around on it 24/7.  The owner might as well have just put a giant "SUE ME" banner across the front of the house, lol.

Initially, I went under contract on that house also.  I even included a clause in my Purchase Agreement that the trampoline had to be removed before closing, lol.  However, after my inspection, I ended up backing out of the deal anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My neighbor uses Hello Fresh to save time planning and shopping for dinner.  Every day she and her husband would go through the "what do you want tonight" and finally around 4/5 or husband would say "rack of lamb." She'd drag the kids to the store and make it for dinner.  At least with Hello Fresh there's no what to eat battle and no evening grocery trip.  Of course I would have solved this by telling my husband to tell me what he wants or eat what I make and he better tell me 3 days ahead because I try hard to only go to the store twice a week.

My brother, the ED doc, would have a heart attack if we bought a trampoline.  Only one kid likes them and she gets enough bouncing at gymnastics.

• I always said I would get a trampoline as an adult because I wanted one as a kid. My bro and his wife actually had one before they had their kid. In reality I'm afraid of hurting myself so I'd never get one and my H thinks they are awful. Nevermind we don't actually have a backyard that would house one - we can't even put in a play set due to the slope. 
  • kvruns said:
    I always said I would get a trampoline as an adult because I wanted one as a kid. My bro and his wife actually had one before they had their kid. In reality I'm afraid of hurting myself so I'd never get one and my H thinks they are awful. Nevermind we don't actually have a backyard that would house one - we can't even put in a play set due to the slope. 

Yeah, I'm a real b**ch of a landlady when it comes to fun, lol.  No trampolines, no playsets of any kind, no pools.  Except the smallest of kiddie ones.  I even looked up the dimensions for a standard small, kiddie pool that can't be filled with more than a few inches of water.  And have a "no pools larger than (insert those exact dimensions)" clause.

I fully admit to probably being a little over the top with it.  But people suck and I don't want to get sued because Tenant's Little Johnnie broke his arm on my property, falling off the swing set THEY bought.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m in a funk today. I’m so so tired. And I’m trying to make financial and future decisions regarding additional schooling and FI is really upset about it. I might have to sacrifice something big for the relationship and I’m not happy about it. But I also don’t know how much I want “the thing.” It’s more about the financial security aspect of it. I can do it at a later time, but at that point the market will probably be flooded and it will be financially unwise to pursue. FI and I got in a tiff last night where he accused me of saying his job was inferior. It’s not. But I’m sorry, you just can’t compare the degree I’m getting to getting a master’s degree in business. Not the same. Not the same work. Not the same stress. Not the same personal and professional ramifications if you fuck it up. School is really taking a toll on our relationship and I am so unhappy of being unhappy all the time. And I have to work this weekend, so that’s adding to my funk. 

Growing up my dad had a client that was a gymnast. They were getting new equipment so we got their professional gymnast trampoline. It was amazing. Super unsafe, but amazing. We could easily hit 10 feet of air. More if we timed our jumps. Eventually we went to a friend’s house that had a standard “from Costco” type trampoline. It felt so lame. We had to work to get like four feet of air. We were so spoiled. Lol

• levioosa said:
    I’m in a funk today. I’m so so tired. And I’m trying to make financial and future decisions regarding additional schooling and FI is really upset about it. I might have to sacrifice something big for the relationship and I’m not happy about it. But I also don’t know how much I want “the thing.” It’s more about the financial security aspect of it. I can do it at a later time, but at that point the market will probably be flooded and it will be financially unwise to pursue. FI and I got in a tiff last night where he accused me of saying his job was inferior. It’s not. But I’m sorry, you just can’t compare the degree I’m getting to getting a master’s degree in business. Not the same. Not the same work. Not the same stress. Not the same personal and professional ramifications if you fuck it up. School is really taking a toll on our relationship and I am so unhappy of being unhappy all the time. And I have to work this weekend, so that’s adding to my funk. 

Growing up my dad had a client that was a gymnast. They were getting new equipment so we got their professional gymnast trampoline. It was amazing. Super unsafe, but amazing. We could easily hit 10 feet of air. More if we timed our jumps. Eventually we went to a friend’s house that had a standard “from Costco” type trampoline. It felt so lame. We had to work to get like four feet of air. We were so spoiled. Lol
    That sucks @levioosa and those conversations are the hardest. We’ve had a lot in the past few years and I don’t think they get any easier, you just figure out different ways to navigate them. 

I make more money than my H (like significantly more) and my job is quote-unquote more important than his; if I fuck something up in the models, there’s a chance someone catches it (and we have processes in place for that) but it could cost the company tons of $$ (and me my job). And yours is WAY more important than that! But I think it’s hard for my H at times. Like when I’m at work late for a few weeks and going in super early. But then again he likes that we have the money to do things we want. It’s always a hard balance. Hopefully you guys can talk again and come to a better understanding. 
  • It could have been worse, @VarunaTT.  I mean, it could have been better too, but it could have been worse :) 

• VarunaTT said:
    I know y'all have been waiting for this.

Day 7:  Splenda has finally been replenished by someone not me.

Image result for hallelujah gif
    😆 any ideas on who it was??
  • @ShesSoCold your story inspired me...I almost never initiate (any more), but I jumped in the shower after H about an hour ago (we love using the shower since the bathroom is the only room in our house with a lock) and he was thrilled.  I just got the kids down and he said “want a massage?”.  So you basically gifted me a massage tonight, thank you!!!
  • eileenrob said:
    @ShesSoCold your story inspired me...I almost never initiate (any more), but I jumped in the shower after H about an hour ago (we love using the shower since the bathroom is the only room in our house with a lock) and he was thrilled.  I just got the kids down and he said “want a massage?”.  So you basically gifted me a massage tonight, thank you!!!
    Ha ha same! H asked what we wanted to do tonight and listed a bunch of house projects and I said “or we could just have sex”. He was thrilled. 
  • @short+sassy, I finally got a call for that interview from 2 weeks ago.  Rocked it, but didn't get the job.  They said i was the most qualified in formal education, knowledge of the area and in the ability to differentiate across all grades and divisions, but someone else had a touch more presenting to adults experience.  Basically that it was their time, and not mine.  Gotta love education sometimes.