Second Weddings

Eloped but Parents Want a Church Blessing

2»

Re: Eloped but Parents Want a Church Blessing

• kpgleason said:
    *UPDATE*

So my in-laws came in town this past weekend and my MIL instantly pulled my hubs aside and said she brought all the paperwork for the annulment process. He finally stood up to her and told her it's not what we want and that she needs to back out of our marriage. I.WAS.SHOCKED! Your suggestions were so helpful and I think it finally clicked with him that he needs to stand up for me, and us, vs just letting his Mom push him around. It's like a weight is off my shoulders. I just wanted to say thank you all for your comments because you truly do make a difference! 

Kelli
    Oh wow thank you for updating us!! I'm glad you and your H are building boundaries!! 

I feel like it's a lot harder to see the shittiness of people when it's your own family, ya know? Like, to my H, his mom is a little self absorbed and always tries to get what she wants, but that's just the way she is. I see her as a manipulative narcissist. It took him a while to see that "the way she is" is actually kind of awful and neither he nor I should have to deal with it. 

Just keep doing what you're doing - being a united front with your H and saying "no" and not leaving shit open for discussion. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • That’s fantastic, OP! Setting boundaries is so important. Also, how incredibly ballsy of your MIL to bring all of the paperwork. She can butt right out of your marriage.