Chit Chat

Flu shot

The day after a flu shot does anyone else feel like they have been beaten with a baseball bat? I have thought about skipping the shot but I am a high school teacher and exposed to mega amounts of germs.

Re: Flu shot

• debbeau said:
    The day after a flu shot does anyone else feel like they have been beaten with a baseball bat? I have thought about skipping the shot but I am a high school teacher and exposed to mega amounts of germs.
    My arm was heavy and sore for a few days after the shot this year, but that’s it. Which sucks but is way better than the flu, IMO
  • Take a couple of Advil before you go in for the shot, and then keep taking as needed for the next day or so. Some years are better than others. I got mine last week and didn't think it was all that bad. 
  • I'm usually fine after my flu shot. If you feel sick after the flu shot, you were already sick before you got it. 

EVERYONE get a flu shot! It isn't to only to protect you, a healthy adult, it is to prevent you carrying it and spreading it to immunocompressed people: Cancer patients, pregnant ladies, OAPs, Babies etc. 
  • I never have a reaction (I also work at a high school- smart to get it!). Even if you do feel crummy for a few days, it’s better for everyone if those who can vaccinate do.
  • I'm usually fine after my flu shot. If you feel sick after the flu shot, you were already sick before you got it. 

EVERYONE get a flu shot! It isn't to only to protect you, a healthy adult, it is to prevent you carrying it and spreading it to immunocompressed people: Cancer patients, pregnant ladies, OAPs, Babies etc. 
    The flu shot was mandatory at my OBGYN office- do some pregnant women not get the flu shot??
  • eileenrob said:
    I'm usually fine after my flu shot. If you feel sick after the flu shot, you were already sick before you got it. 

The flu shot was mandatory at my OBGYN office- do some pregnant women not get the flu shot??
    Not everyone can get the flu shot. Nearly all healthy pregnant ladies can, but also the fact that not every person gets the flu shot on day 1 of fly season. It is already out there and I bet there are going to be preggo women who get the flu shot in 2 months or so. So everyone should get the flu shot ASAP. 
  • I agree about getting the shot. Much better than getting sick. They gave them out at work yesterday. The aches go away after a day of two. The nurse who gave them said about 20% of the people receiving the shot has these side effects. Just wish I was in the top 20% of a better category.
  • At least where I am, it is not mandatory and lots of healthcare works and pregnant ladies don't get it. I always get it and found that my arm was a bit sore this year but I didn't get it at the beginning of my day so I feel like I may have not moved it as much as usual which would usually help with the stiffness and pain. I still get some sort of flu like illness every year but I seem to get the lightest version which I'm grateful for. My husband doesn't get (don't understand it) and he gets the heavy duty flu every year. I'm hopefully that my continuing reminders will change his mind this year.
  • eileenrob said:
    I'm usually fine after my flu shot. If you feel sick after the flu shot, you were already sick before you got it. 

Not everyone can get the flu shot. Nearly all healthy pregnant ladies can, but also the fact that not every person gets the flu shot on day 1 of fly season. It is already out there and I bet there are going to be preggo women who get the flu shot in 2 months or so. So everyone should get the flu shot ASAP. 
    Gotcha.

My kids’ school (all the schools and daycares in the city) mandates it unless there’s a health or religious reason against it.  Makes me feel good knowing so many kids here are that much more protected :) 
  • eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Gotcha.

My kids’ school (all the schools and daycares in the city) mandates it unless there’s a health or religious reason against it.  Makes me feel good knowing so many kids here are that much more protected :) 

I've never quite understood the religious exemption. Can someone please provide a religion that wouldn't allow?
  • ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Gotcha.

I've never quite understood the religious exemption. Can someone please provide a religion that wouldn't allow?
    ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Gotcha.

I can’t provide one.  I just know in my city that’s a thing...being exempt from mandatory vaccines due to religious beliefs.
  • I don't know if it matters which strain is in the flu shot, but I didn't have a reaction this year. 

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2018
    Please please please, if you can get vaccinated (no physical reason not to vaccinate), VACCINATE. 
    First child death of the season just occurred a few days ago: 
    And last year 80,000 people died from the flu, including 180 children and teenagers. I personally saw two deaths directly due to the flu. One was a previously completely healthy individual. It's shocking how fast it can claim lives.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/01/health/flu-deaths-vaccine.html

The flu is serious. We're not always able to predict the strain but we can try to reduce the transmission and resulting complications. 

And.....not calling anyone out here, this is just a general PSA: THE FLU SHOT DOES NOT CAUSE THE FLU. 

• My arm is sometimes pretty sore after a flu shot, but that's it. I just ask them to do it in my right arm since I'm left handed; that way it doesn't disrupt me too much. 

• I don't get too much soreness, but I'm usually super tired for 24-48 hours after getting it. I get it at work, so I usually try to schedule for the afternoon on a day when not much is going on, so I can just go home and take a nap after work if I'm feeling it. 

The nurse this year told me to get it in my dominant arm and move around a lot right after to decrease soreness. Either I just wasn't effected or her advice worked. I didn't feel it at all. 

Even with the shot, I got the flu last year. I'll take a sore arm and sleepy afternoon over that any day of the week, and I'm lucky to be healthy and snap back after a week. A shocking number of people died last year. .
  • eileenrob said:
    ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Gotcha.

ernursej said:
    eileenrob said:
    eileenrob said:

Gotcha.

I can’t provide one.  I just know in my city that’s a thing...being exempt from mandatory vaccines due to religious beliefs.
    I wish I could understand how it could be against religious beliefs to get a vaccine. :)
  • maine7mob said:
    @ernursej, the only religion I know of that forbids vaccines are Christian Scientists. Other people, fueled by some anti-vax BS they read on the internet, claim a "religious exemption." Any nonsense personal distaste for something can pass as a religion when it comes to vaccines. Makes me livid.

Interesting. I've just done some reading and apparently there are also objections from Dutch Reformers but there are a few articles mentioning both having practitioners that view the vaccines as gifts from God, especially after more than a thousand of Dutch Reformers got measles a few years ago. Sigh.

• ernursej said:
    maine7mob said:
    @ernursej, the only religion I know of that forbids vaccines are Christian Scientists. Other people, fueled by some anti-vax BS they read on the internet, claim a "religious exemption." Any nonsense personal distaste for something can pass as a religion when it comes to vaccines. Makes me livid.

Interesting. I've just done some reading and apparently there are also objections from Dutch Reformers but there are a few articles mentioning both having practitioners that view the vaccines as gifts from God, especially after more than a thousand of Dutch Reformers got measles a few years ago. Sigh.

Also (at least in the US), we have laws stating people can't be discriminated against because of their religion, but you don't often have to PROVE your religion. So anti-vax parents can just say they have a religious objection and then no one can say boo about it. 

As someone who can't get the flu shot, thank you all for being so vigilant about getting it!
  • I've been getting the flu shot every year, for about the last 20 years.  The only thing I've ever had happen is my arm gets sore and can sometimes feel weak/heavy.  Usually it's just for the same day.  Sometimes it goes on through the next day.

Though I know it can be worse for others.

I've heard that, when people get the flu shot, even if they still end up getting the flu, it will be more mild.

I also had a doctor tell me that people are notorious for labeling other, much more mild illnesses, as "the flu".  He said a true flu will leave you feeling really sick for weeks.  Not just a few days.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Got mine yesterday. I don't always get one. I did when I worked in an elementary school - too many germs incubating there! I also got one when I was in an hospital setting. Now with the little grand babies, I don't want to take the chance of getting them sick. I'm not usually one that gets sick but just don't want to take a chance.
  • banana468 said:
    @ILoveBeachMusic my mom often didn't get the flu shot and then one year she got the flu, gave it to my grandma and my grandmother almost died from the pneumonia it turned into.

I didn't get the flu that year and I was vaccinated. 

I still get the shot every year, my kids do and after DH's bout with it years ago he's now on the "get your flu shot" bandwagon.

And that's why I got one this year.
  • Yes, @short+sassy you can still get the flu even if you get the shot, but if the shot is a good match for the current strain of flu, you will have a much milder case. This happened to my husband one year at Christmas.  I took him to the ER because he had just returned from a business trip to Belize, and was afraid he'd caught a tropical disease. Nope, it was just the flu. He was mildly symptomatic for a few days, which is a lot shorter than the flu normally is. If you have the real deal and haven't had a vaccine, you'll be in your bed with chills, a high fever and a nasty cough for a week and then feel generally awful for a lot longer than that.