Wedding Woes

Happy 2019, y'all!

How was the new year?  Anything fun happen?

We watched the Colts game on Sunday and it was such a sweet victory after the last few years of disappointment and frustration.  And concern we were wasting TF out of Andrew Luck's talent. 

New Year's was OK for us.  We picked up SIL on NYE from her BFF's house and went over to FIL's for the night.  FIL insisted we all go to his house and then he passed out on the couch while we played cards. DH and SIL super annoyed with FIL since he made such a stink about not doing anything but hanging at his house.   We were up until 3am or so and then had to get up around 9 so that we could do lunch at FIL's house with SIL, BIL, nephews, DH's grandma, uncles, and aunt.   I spent most of the day slightly hungover, super tired, and on overload between an exhausted and bored DefConn and DH's family. 

SIL is staying here until she leaves Friday.  We were up until past 1am talking last night (where is my coffee drip?).  We're having her BFF and her DH plus FIL over tomorrow for dinner.  

Last night, SIL and I went to exchange some slippers we bought for GMIL.  I scored DH 6 pairs of Under Armour undies at Kohl's for about $7 on super clearance.  He came down this morning after he'd showered and put them on with the biggest, cheesiest grin on his face about how much he loved them.  It was hilarious. 

I cannot wait to get past this (short) week.  It feels like it's been forever since things have been 'normal' for us.  DH and I are both feeling out of sorts and ready for stuff to settle down. 

Re: Happy 2019, y'all!

• Happy New year! 

Our NYE was quiet and boring. We stayed in, ate homemade Mac and cheese, drank champagne, and watched a frontline documentary about the financial crisis. Went to bed before midnight. 

Yesterday we ate left over Mac and Cheese, watched The Good Place & ate way too many donuts. I did also go for a run and clean & organize the bedroom. I went to bed early again.

The next 4 days are going to be insane at work and I’m just waiting for it all to hit. 
  • Happy New Year everyone!  
    Was in bed at 9:30pm on NYE...took the kids to my parents’ house yesterday to celebrate my father’s birthday (actual bday is Friday but they’re heading up to their house in NH today).  Nice to ring in a new year with a family celebration :)
    Schools reopened today around here so I’m back at work and the kids are back in school, and it feels so good.
  • We don't go back to school until the 8th.  I cannot believe schools went back today.  But I am kinda jealous. 

New Year's broke DefConn.  He's typically an early riser...there are Saturday mornings where he's in our room at 7:30am asking to watch TV.  It's past 9:30am and he just now woke up.  But he's in a good mood, so he needed the rest. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Happy New year!  Mine was low key as well.  We wanted to go to the comedy club but the person performing was Christopher Titus and I think I saw him before and I don’t remember liking him all too much.  It’s $75/ticket plus a 2 item minimum/person (and who only orders 2 drinks?) plus probably $90-100 in uber fare so we passed and went to my friends house.  She had another couple over and we played cards against humanity.  Fun night.

My desire to work is 0% right now.  I just want to go home and finish up making a murder 2.  Oh, and because SSC’s mentioned making a lasagna over the holidays, I made one over the weekend too.  So I won’t have to cook for awhile now. 
    Edit:words

• I am an official W2 employee today! Monday my ILs took the kids and aren't bringing them back until today.  NYE we went to dinner and a neighbor's house.  We had a BLAST!  Dh (and I) tends to be a little antisocial but once we got out the door it was really fun.

NY day was nothing big.  We slept in did a little shopping then ate pork and kraut for dinner and watched the OSU game.  I also started season 1 of Transparent.

Today I'm making up beds and, folding ALL THE laundry, and going to the grocery store.

• Happy New Year! H & I could not make it past 11 on NYE. Last night we had the Sunday (Tuesday?) scaries in a major way so we had roasted pork tenderloin on the couch in our jammies while watching Food Network until bed. What exciting lives we lead lol. 

Over the break Babypants learned to be a bit more independent and played quietly in her crib until anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30. Every. Morning. Oh it was glorious. 

I also got a fire stick for Christmas and have been devouring episodes of Marvelous Mrs Maisel as often as I can. OMG I love this show. I'm already halfway through Season 2! And I just learned that they filmed part of Season 2 at this resort on the lake where my bff's family has a lake house in the Catskills! I've gone there with her a few times so I keep peering at the screen to see if I can see her family's house in the background. 
  • Happy New Year, everyone!

I had a super relaxing weekend.  We didn't do anything for NYE.  Though we did have a great dinner at home of Chicken Cordon Bleu, salad, and champagne.

I'm in a relatively good mood because it will only be a 3-day work week.  Though I'm definitely at zero motivation to do anything today, lol.  I think the true reality that I'm back to the normal drudgery will hit on Mon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Happy New Year!

I have a new computer and am trying to transfer the last remaining personal files on my old one to the new one.
  • Happy New Year!

I'm back in the office digging out from the work I missed last week but I felt SO GOOD to do minimal email checks and do more with the family.

Christmas was good and mildly frantic but we hosted 13 guests plus our 4 and it went well!   My little cousin confessed she's an alcoholic and I'm attempting to be the support she needs.   It was awkward and I hope she gets the treatment needed since this disease is rampant in our family.

Thursday last week DH and I went to Hartford and saw HAMILTON!  It was fantastic.   Then on Sunday we went to see his aunt and uncle and DH's grandma lives with them.   Her condition has seriously deteriorated over the last year and it's sad but her spirits are good.    We also found out that another cousin is getting married which gets the kids excited for a summer wedding.

NYE was low key:   NY Strip w/ shrimp mashed potatoes followed by Mario Kart and then ball drop with Anderson and Andy.   DH and I drank prosecco and then were in bed by about 2.   

Yesterday was low key and I'm thankful the kiddos are back in school!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019

Interesting to read so many of you had prosecco for NYE!  It does seem like that has become the "it" type of sparkling wine over the last few years.  I don't think I'd even heard of it until 5ish years ago.

I've only had it from 2-3 different brands, but found it was too sweet with all of them, so now I avoid it.

In fact, we went to Costco on Sun. and one of the things I wanted to get was two more bottles of champagne.  Initially, I was PO'd that all they'd had in the $10 range was a prosecco and a Spanish cava.  I wasn't familiar with cava.  But Google said it was similar to champagne, so I grabbed one bottle of that to try.  Later on, and not in the wine section (smh), I finally found a display of Korbel.

I kept the bottle of cava to try, but have not yet.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had too much fun Monday night.  The show was great and since K was performing, we stayed for the afterparty.  I was stumbling when we left, b/c I was so flipping tired.  I haven't seen 3 am in quite some time.  But we had a great time and the show was excellent.

I spent Tuesday just relaxing.  K went to their family's NYE celebration.  I didn't go; we've had so many holiday celebrations and I just really needed some down time.  When they came home, we tried to start the final season of Series of Unfortunate Events, but neither of us were very interested, so we ended up just heading to bed.  I slept like crud, my allergies flared up really badly for some weird reason.

Back at work...not feeling it at all.
  • Hey @short+sassy Prosecco is the Italian sparkling wine.   I generally don't like a sweet wine but I'm not sure what your taste is in sparklings.     You'll want to look for a dry wine and avoid some of the more popular sparkling Moscatos that appear to be popular now because THAT is some sweet stuff.  I've found that the bottle of 90+ Prosecco that we drank on NYE was very good for the budget and I'm a fan of the Mionetto prosecco as well.

Generally prosecco should be comparable in taste to a French sparkling and the other nice aspect is that I have found a wider range of affordable proseccos for under $20 / bottle vs. champagnes.   

You can also find some great Spanish cava that will have a similar flavor profile as the Italian or French versions. 

If you want, there are also plenty of domestic sparkling wines that are out there.

Also, when looking for a sparkling it's good to read up a bit and pay attention to the process used.   You get what you pay for when you get a bottle of Cooks for under $8.   It's a wine that's been pumped through with CO2 which is NOT the way a proper sparkling should be made.   

• STARMOON44STARMOON44 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2019

Interesting to read so many of you had prosecco for NYE!  It does seem like that has become the "it" type of sparkling wine over the last few years.  I don't think I'd even heard of it until 5ish years ago.

I've only had it from 2-3 different brands, but found it was too sweet with all of them, so now I avoid it.

In fact, we went to Costco on Sun. and one of the things I wanted to get was two more bottles of champagne.  Initially, I was PO'd that all they'd had in the $10 range was a prosecco and a Spanish cava.  I wasn't familiar with cava.  But Google said it was similar to champagne, so I grabbed one bottle of that to try.  Later on, and not in the wine section (smh), I finally found a display of Korbel.

Korbel isn’t champagne either :smile:   Im
     pretty flexible with my sparkling wines. I don’t do sweet and I prefer champagne but my budget likes me to also drink cava and Prosecco and other sparkling varieties. I really like sparkling Vouvray when I can find it. 
  • Happy New Year!

Back at work today.  I haven't been here since Dec 20th!  I didn't check an email or anything while I was gone!  I successfully hosted all 3 dinners at my house!  Though Christmas Eve came to a stunning conclusion early when SIL cursed out MILs BF for being a Trump supporter.  She gave an F you, F off and a go F youself in her tirade!  I don't think I have ever seen her so mad!  I know she doesn't like Trump, but she changed so quick when MIL said BF supported him (though he doesn't vote - eye roll).  DD loves her mini kitchen set from Santa and promptly through everything all over the place in 2 minutes flat!

The next few days were great, as DD went to daycare while H and I stayed home!  We got some work done around the house, but also relaxed and reconnected together.

NYE was nice too.  We went to my H's friends house first, then over to my BFF's house.  Once we put DD to bed there and all the older kids playing downstairs, CAH came out and we all played that for a few hours.  SO MANY LAUGHS!!!!!  Just a little after 11:30, H and I packed up DD and headed back home.  We got there just in time for midnight.  DD and I were upstairs alone, so I gave her some NY kisses on the cheek and put her back to bed.  She slept until 9:30!!!!  The day was spent watching the Mummers parade (local to Philly) in our pajamas and family nap time.

• Interesting to read so many of you had prosecco for NYE!  It does seem like that has become the "it" type of sparkling wine over the last few years.  I don't think I'd even heard of it until 5ish years ago.

Korbel isn’t champagne either :smile:   Im
     pretty flexible with my sparkling wines. I don’t do sweet and I prefer champagne but my budget likes me to also drink cava and Prosecco and other sparkling varieties. I really like sparkling Vouvray when I can find it. 
    Yup - Korbel's a California sparkling that's made using the same methods as French champagne.

In some countries it's technically illegal to call a sparkling champagne.

• Also, I love the good ole' reliable Cooks - not too sweet and cheap enough to buy 2 or 3 bottles!
  • Laundry done. Beds made. Kids home and running the neighborhood!  I keep thinking today is Thursday. 
  • banana468 said:
    Hey @short+sassy Prosecco is the Italian sparkling wine.   I generally don't like a sweet wine but I'm not sure what your taste is in sparklings.     You'll want to look for a dry wine and avoid some of the more popular sparkling Moscatos that appear to be popular now because THAT is some sweet stuff.  I've found that the bottle of 90+ Prosecco that we drank on NYE was very good for the budget and I'm a fan of the Mionetto prosecco as well.

Generally prosecco should be comparable in taste to a French sparkling and the other nice aspect is that I have found a wider range of affordable proseccos for under $20 / bottle vs. champagnes.   

You can also find some great Spanish cava that will have a similar flavor profile as the Italian or French versions. 

If you want, there are also plenty of domestic sparkling wines that are out there.

Also, when looking for a sparkling it's good to read up a bit and pay attention to the process used.   You get what you pay for when you get a bottle of Cooks for under $8.   It's a wine that's been pumped through with CO2 which is NOT the way a proper sparkling should be made.   

Thanks for the suggestions.  Perhaps I will give prosecco a second chance with the one you recommend.  I can't stand sweet wines.  Any of them.  I've had Moscato wine, but never a sparkling one.  In my eyes, the only thing worse than Moscato is Zinfandel, lol.

I'll be the first to admit I'm really not a wine connoisseur.  I realize that a true champagne has to come from the Champagne region of France.  But I use the term interchangeably with sparkling wine because, unless I'm selling it or something, I don't care or even see much difference.

I've occasionally had the opportunity to have expensive glasses of wine, including Dom Perignon.  Do I think they're better tasting than my usual $10-$15 bottle range?  Nope, not usually and never in relation to the exponential prices.  My wallet appreciates my unrefined palate, lol.

Interesting about Cook's!  I can drink it.  But like other brands a lot better.  Usually Freixenet or Ste. Michelle are my go-to's for sparkling wine.  I have no idea how they're made.  Though now I'm curious, lol. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ((Waving hi to @mrsmitten)) We've missed you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do your local liquor stores allow you to sample ever?  One place near me will let me try certain wines and it lets me decide before I buy if it's something new to me. 

I would try to go that route if you can but there should be PLENTY of dry sparklings out there that are at a reasonable price point that don't taste like alcoholic Welch's. 

• banana468 said:
    Yup - Korbel's a California sparkling that's made using the same methods as French champagne.

In some countries it's technically illegal to call a sparkling champagne.

I thought that was true in the U.S.?  But am not totally sure.  And/or that might fall under state laws anyway.  Whether an actual law or not, it does seem like most producers will use the term "sparkling wine" on their label if they aren't from Champagne.

Speaking of Federal vs. State issues and liquor.  The drinking age is 100% a state issue and a state law.  But, back in the early '80s, the Federal Gov't. wanted all the states to make 21 the minimum drinking age.  So they **cough, cough** tried to coerce the remaining states to change it to 21 with the Drinking Age Act of 1984.  Which cut Federal highway funds by 10% to any state that would not comply.

WY was the last to fall in 1988. Though their previous drinking age was 19.  Louisiana was the last to fall in 1987, that had previously had a drinking age of only 18.

A lot of states had grandfather clauses when they changed their laws.  That happened to a former coworker of mine.  He was 20 when Louisiana changed their law, but could still legally purchase alcohol because he was "grandfathered" in. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Do your local liquor stores allow you to sample ever?  One place near me will let me try certain wines and it lets me decide before I buy if it's something new to me. 

I would try to go that route if you can but there should be PLENTY of dry sparklings out there that are at a reasonable price point that don't taste like alcoholic Welch's. 

Funny you should ask!  About 6 years ago, I actually had a p/t gig where I handed out liquor and wine samples.  Though I worked for a marketing company, not the grocery and liquor stores themselves.

You'll see a lot of that on the weekends.  Especially during the holidays.  Some of the wine stores will also have free tasting events.  I've gone to those once in awhile.

But I don't know any liquor or wine stores that regularly have bottles open for customers to sample.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think the region of Champagne controls the nomenclature of the wine not the state or the country. Wine can be said to be made in the champagne method but unless they are from Champagne they can't be called Champagne no matter in what state or country they are sold. I agree you should try other prosecco or cava wines to find some that aren't as sweet. I don't like sweet wines either but enjoy prosecco. The price point is usually lower than Champagne or champagne style sparkling wines.
  • I think it's the EU that also gets picky about those things.   Like I believe a Swiss cheese can't be made in Belgium either. 

As far as a liquor store letting you sample, the only one near me that does is a devoted wine store.   They clearly specialize in wine with beer and some spirits available for those who want to hit up the local parks on the speedy end.   And when he knows you're serious he'll say, "This is what I have in the cabinet.   Would you like a sample??"  And despite our ridiculous blue laws you can have a taste.  I don't see samples available in other places unless there's a sales person in the store pushing their product.