Destination Weddings Discussions

Meet the Newlyweds celebration

My fiance and I live in Los Angeles but most of his family lives on the East Coast. We will be having our wedding in Los Angeles and know that many people will not be able to travel for the wedding. His family would like to host a "Meet the Newlyweds" celebration for us on the east coast after the wedding. It will be like any other party with food, drinks and socializing. We plan to have our wedding photos out and video playing if it is available but besides that will not have any other wedding activities. My question is how would you let people know about this party? We thought about including a small insert into the wedding invite or STD which states something along the lines of "We would love to have everyone celebrate with us but understand that travelling is not feasible for many. Please join us for "Meet the Newleywed's Party on 1/10/20 in New Jersey". What is the most appropriate and how would you word it? 

Thanks so much for the advice!

Re: Meet the Newlyweds celebration

• Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    The hosts need to issue separate invitations to the "Meet the Newlyweds" party. It's not part of your wedding, so there should not be any inserts in your wedding invitations or STDs.

In all honesty, many people would be offended by "We hope you understand, but we can't invite you" messages. Negative invitations are rude.
  • It sounds like everyone is invited to the wedding?

OP how far after your wedding will this event be? I’d personally wait til after the wedding and then send out invitations. Another idea would be to add details on your wedding website so people are aware it’s happening and then do invitations a few months before the party. 
  • My fiance and I live in Los Angeles but most of his family lives on the East Coast. We will be having our wedding in Los Angeles and know that many people will not be able to travel for the wedding. His family would like to host a "Meet the Newlyweds" celebration for us on the east coast after the wedding. It will be like any other party with food, drinks and socializing. We plan to have our wedding photos out and video playing if it is available but besides that will not have any other wedding activities. My question is how would you let people know about this party? We thought about including a small insert into the wedding invite or STD which states something along the lines of "We would love to have everyone celebrate with us but understand that travelling is not feasible for many. Please join us for "Meet the Newleywed's Party on 1/10/20 in New Jersey". What is the most appropriate and how would you word it? 

Thanks so much for the advice!

I would NOT include anything with the wedding invitations.  They are separate events.  I absolutely would not put anything on a STD, either.  Anyone getting this would HAVE to be invited to this second event.  If the date of this actual second party is next January, I would think your STD's would be going out soon, anyway.  Do your in-laws intend on inviting everyone that lives on the east coast to this party? 
    I also am curious as to the time differential between the wedding and this party.  So much can happen between then and now.  I would not commit to any party a full year out. 
    Unless you are actually meeting many of these guests for the first time, I would not label this event a "Meet the Newlyweds" party, either.  I would probably call it a "New Year's Open House' and include a note that indicates that you and your husband will be in town for the party.
    @Jen4948, I think you misunderstood the nature of her enclosure.  I think OP's intent was to let guests know that a second opportunity will exist to celebrate.  That is how I understand the wording.
  • I think this party sounds like a great idea. The reality of travelling cross country for a wedding is just out of the question for a lot of people. And while attending a later party is not the same thing as going to a wedding, it sometimes takes the pressure off people who feel obligated to move hell or high water to get to a family wedding. I applaud you for not trying to turn it into a wedding do over. 

I wouldn't include anything about the party in the wedding invitations. Rather, I would just mention that it will be happening by word of mouth through the East Coast family, and let people make decisions about travel on their own. Then, send a separate invitation for this even a few months before the date. 

I agree with PP that I find "Meet the Newlyweds" to be a little clunky, especially if most of these people already know one or both of you. I would veer more toward celebration of marriage, but not try to give it an actual title. e.g. "X and Y invite you to celebrate the recent marriage of A and B..." 
  • I think this party sounds like a great idea. The reality of travelling cross country for a wedding is just out of the question for a lot of people. And while attending a later party is not the same thing as going to a wedding, it sometimes takes the pressure off people who feel obligated to move hell or high water to get to a family wedding. I applaud you for not trying to turn it into a wedding do over. 

I wouldn't include anything about the party in the wedding invitations. Rather, I would just mention that it will be happening by word of mouth through the East Coast family, and let people make decisions about travel on their own. Then, send a separate invitation for this even a few months before the date. 

I agree with PP that I find "Meet the Newlyweds" to be a little clunky, especially if most of these people already know one or both of you. I would veer more toward celebration of marriage, but not try to give it an actual title. e.g. "X and Y invite you to celebrate the recent marriage of A and B..." 

I agree with all of this.

You don't want to include info about the East Coast (EC) party with the wedding invitations, because those are two totally separate events.  But, at the same time, want to let the EC guests know there will be another opportunity to celebrate with you and your FI.  In case traveling to L.A. would be especially difficult for them.

Word of mouth with the EC family is the best way to go, so guests can decide if they want to travel for the wedding or wait to see you all at the EC party.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you all for the input. We would be having it about a month after the wedding. Everyone would be invited to the wedding who would be invited to this gathering as well, and we would have space if they all decided to come. It would more be to alleviate the stress of travel for the east coast family, many of them have young children and have already mentioned how travel would be difficult for them. I didn't realize until you mentioned it that meet the newlyweds does sound funny since we already know them so we won't call it that. Word of mouth just makes me nervous in case someone does get the info. Thanks for the help everyone! 
  • maine7mobmaine7mob member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Do not use word of mouth. Issue one set of invitations for the west coast wedding. Then, whoever is hosting the east coast function should issue a separate set of invitations. It does not matter if the guest lists are the same. There are two different events and two different hosts, so each host should issue their own invitations.