Attire & Accessories Forum

DIY Dyed Shoes

Has anyone tried dyeing their wedding shoes? I'd like to buy plum shoes to match my bridesmaids dresses and for a pop of color, but haven't found a good pair yet. I'm contemplating getting RITS dye and doing it myself. 
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Re: DIY Dyed Shoes

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    This is one of those things that it is easy to get wedding tunnel vision. No one will remember your bridesmaids shoes. They won't show up in pictures and no one will notice. Honestly, I would just keep looking for shoes if it is that important to you. Dying shoes would be an expensive, logistical nightmare, and they can look especially 80s and amateurish. 

There are several places that you can add a pop of plum without having to deal with this. Why not use plum long ribbons on their bouquets? Pops of plum flowers? You don't need everything to be matchymatchy. 

Search online for purple shoes, and if you can't find it, just focus on the things and have them wear a neutral shoe they already own (ie: nude or metallic). Bonus: you save money and time. 
  • I read OP as though she wanted her shoes to match the BM dresses. If that's the case, I don't have a ton of advice because I've never dyed shoes, but I agree with LL that they can look really 80s and we've even heard stories of them dying your feet! If you can't find shoes you love and have your heart set on plum, I'd do a trial run on some cheap or old shoes to see how they turn out. 

If your interpretation is correct, LL, I 100% agree with you. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I would also not worry about matching exactly. I have an acquaintance who married and her BMs wore navy dresses and hot pink shoes. None of the shoes matched in style and they weren't all the same shade of hot pink, and it still looked fabulous. 

If you're wearing a long gown, it's even more likely no one will notice your shoes at all. A dear friend of mine changed from her white shoes to red for her reception, and the only reason I remember that is because we had to help her get her shoes on, haha. None of photos from her wedding show her shoes. 

If you're wearing a short gown, like I said, matching exactly won't be a big deal at all. 

• No one will notice what's on your feet. My daughter went to a great deal of trouble searching for the perfect blue shoe for her wedding, and no one noticed them (long gown with train) until someone asked her what her "something blue" was, and she showed them.

And as a victim of 80s dyed shoes, all I can say is don't. I had forest green feet for days after one wedding.
  • I bought colourful shoes because I wanted a pop of colour, but I wish I had gone with something neutral as I have only worn them once in the past two years. I wouldn't bother trying to match the maid's colour.
  • I read OP as though she wanted her shoes to match the BM dresses. If that's the case, I don't have a ton of advice because I've never dyed shoes, but I agree with LL that they can look really 80s and we've even heard stories of them dying your feet! If you can't find shoes you love and have your heart set on plum, I'd do a trial run on some cheap or old shoes to see how they turn out. 

If your interpretation is correct, LL, I 100% agree with you. 
    This is how I interpreted the OP as well.  OP wants her wedding shoes to match the dresses of her BM's. 
    @AndreaF18, I would try to find plum colored shoes.  If you are unable to do that, I would suggest you find some sort of shoe clip (similar to a small hair fastener) that you could slide under the top of a shoe.  As others have suggested, you could also include some plum colored flowers into your bouquet, add a plum colored ribbon to your bouquet, or wear some simple plum jewelry. 
  • Keep shopping and get creative on your sources - Shoemall.com, bamason.com zappo.com are all fantastic places to look because of this - they often offer multiple widths so you can actually get the shoe to fit your foot.  

It is TRULY not worth dying the shoes to match, and 90's shoe dye here, but my problem was, the shoes DID NOT remotely fit my feet so I was in absolute pain before we even finished the ceremony, let alone pictures, and yea, never wore those shoes EVER again.  You might consider someplace like David's that offers shoe dying but really, better to have a comfortable pair of shoes you'll wear again that you love than something matchy-matchy, or if you do go for matchy, find it in the color you want already that will be comfortable on your feet.
  • I agree that dying is more trouble than it's worth. Don't focus on matching the dresses exactly. Just keep looking, and I'm sure you'll find something you like.