Wedding Woes
Options

Monday!

How was the weekend? How's the week looking

Saturday I took M2 shopping for the first time ever.  One store and she was over it so we went for a cinnamon roll:) The boys went to a pro futsal game and had a lot of fun.  The team 1 soccer coach was there and had lots of positive things to say about how much 6let has developed.  He even said he was going to have 6let play up some!  We got 5" of snow so there was also sledding and shoveling.

Sunday am was church, Costco, and more sledding and I cleaned out the pantry.  Then gymnastics.

There was also a lot of sports shenanigans.  We have a tournament this weekend and games are 9 am Sat and 3 and 5 Sunday with a possible Monday final.  It's 2 hrs away and supposed to be a snow storm.  Grrrrr.

Re: Monday!

• Options
    I'm with M2. Cinnamon rolls > shopping. 

I had a good weekend. Got a lot done. Cleaned the house and cleaned out closets. We have 4 more garage sale/donation bins and filled 3 garbage bags. 

My office Christmas party was lame and the food sucked but that was to be expected. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Oh and I'm next up to host card club.  We usually have a few heavier apps- enough to make dinner or as little as to be social.  There are a few "plant based whole food" people (vegan but not for ethical reasons). I think I'm doing a vegan chili and a white bean chicken chili with a bunch of toppings, but now I need to figure out toppings!  Right now my list is:

cheese, oyster crackers (because I don't want to mess with cornbread), jalapenos, and avocado. 

That's kind of lame, but I'm drawing a blank so need to pinterest it.

I think I'll add a veggie tray, but still need a dessert.  This vegan thing is throwing me off.  I'm tempted to just say eff them:)

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    What about chives, 6?  We like onions or chives in our chili.  
    I need your motivation, SSC.  I have stuff that needs to be unpacked and put in drawers from when I moved.  4 years ago. Yeah... that’s not happening.

we got maybe 2” of snow Saturday.  Maybe! We went to see aquaman which was really good.

i was thinking about moving our 2020 cruise over to February so I texted my surgeon and asked if I would be able to travel 8 weeks post op and she said yeah, 6 is the rule of thumb.  So thats good.  She wants to see me in sept again to make sure im exercising and eating right for surgery prep. As I sit here thinking... yeah, I’m good. I think my bariaric sleeve diet is comparable to what she said... then I remembered I had popcorn for dinner on Saturday. Oops. 

• Options
    6- Pinterest has a shit ton of delicious looking vegan desserts. You’ll have a hard time choosing.

It is my friends birthday on Wednesday and need to Ask the Audience, are slippers a nice gift? She is 7 months pregnant and too picky about jewelry for me to pick something out for her. I really don’t want to buy her anything baby related.
  • Options
    That pic you posted on FB of her with the cinnamon roll was so sweet.  <3  

Friday, we went to Costco and Trader Joe's.  It was a zoo at both places.  

Saturday, I had a hair appt and then puttered around the house.  DH took DefConn sledding.  We watched the Colts blow it.  But we had a better season than we ever thought we would with a 1-5 start.  I watched all of season 2 of "Friends from College" on Netflix.  The music in season 2 is great...all my faves from back in my day.  ;) One episode was entirely Spice Girls songs.  

Sunday, I worked in the morning.  We went to lunch with DH's family for his aunt's birthday.  His grandma is still in town and still terrible.   :/  We got home and did more stuff around the house.  We half-watched the Sunday games.  I tried to watch True Detective, but I was too tired. 

I watched it this morning instead.  I loved season 1 of the show, season 2 was a trainwreck, season 3 is so far so good...but the creator of the show is just the most extra, so he's gonna fuck something up.  At least I get a lot of brooding Mahershala Ali on my screen.  :D 
  • Options
    @missJeanLouise i have two problems with the Pinterest thing- 1 I’ve had so many flops from the recipes 2 a lot of them use ingredients I just don’t normally buy or you have to soak cashews and I’m not up for that level of commitment. 
  • Options
    What about chives, 6?  We like onions or chives in our chili.  
    I need your motivation, SSC.  I have stuff that needs to be unpacked and put in drawers from when I moved.  4 years ago. Yeah... that’s not happening.

we got maybe 2” of snow Saturday.  Maybe! We went to see aquaman which was really good.

i was thinking about moving our 2020 cruise over to February so I texted my surgeon and asked if I would be able to travel 8 weeks post op and she said yeah, 6 is the rule of thumb.  So thats good.  She wants to see me in sept again to make sure im exercising and eating right for surgery prep. As I sit here thinking... yeah, I’m good. I think my bariaric sleeve diet is comparable to what she said... then I remembered I had popcorn for dinner on Saturday. Oops. 
    Hah - we've been talking about doing this for...2 years? And talking about getting the house ready to sell for probably 10 months. The only thing that actually got us off our asses was the fact that our realtor is coming Wednesday and said that we should try to list shortly after the super bowl. In 3 weeks. Fire = lit. 

What is the 2020 surgery you're having? Where are you cruising to?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    @6fsn I see. I completely understand, I boycott anything that needs a food processor.
  • Options
    Clinic today. I’ve been at work since Thursday last week and I picked up an extra shift and I am dead. I’m trying to decide if I can handle picking up both tomorrow and Thursday and still working my scheduled Friday. That would be nine days straight of work and school. But, that overtime would be really helpful. Right now I’m leaning more towards picking it up because I am poor and also have Vegas and Cancún to think about. And I have to pick up extra shifts while they’re available in winter. 

Otherwise, not too much else is going on. It’s supposed to rain for the whole week so hopefully that means the mountains will get some snow too. 

• Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I boycott the food processor too, missjeanlouise.  I don’t own one.  I dont think I’d use one...

SSC, Well I wanted augmentation Dec ‘18 but she told me I would need a tummy tuck/augmentation because of my loose abdominal skin so I moved it out to Dec ‘19 to get it over and done with in one shot.  I was bummed.  Right now I’m looking at 2 ships, both to the Carribean.  One has a great sale going on but Im not sure about the ship or the ports. The other ship we have been on and really enjoyed it.  It goes to Turks and Caicos which I told was a must go.  They just dont have a special going on so I have to pay for all the things separately.  Im thinking of doing the latter.  Both leave the same day too. 
    Edit:words

• Options
    6- Pinterest has a shit ton of delicious looking vegan desserts. You’ll have a hard time choosing.

It is my friends birthday on Wednesday and need to Ask the Audience, are slippers a nice gift? She is 7 months pregnant and too picky about jewelry for me to pick something out for her. I really don’t want to buy her anything baby related.
    I like the slippers idea, especially if you already know she's a person who wears them. I'm a slippers person and would appreciate a nice, snuggly pair. 

• Options
    @mrsconn23 is season 2 of True Detective even worth watching? FI and I loved season one and then we couldn’t get past two episodes of season two. 

I use my food processor mostly for grating cheese and it has been a game changer for me. The few times a year I make cheesy potato soup it is an absolute godsend and I never want to live without it again. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2019
    levioosa said:
    @mrsconn23 is season 2 of True Detective even worth watching? FI and I loved season one and then we couldn’t get past two episodes of season two. 
    Nope.  It was too stupid to be creepy.  All the seasons are encapsulated into just that season, there's no crossover from the others.  So I recommend skipping it. 

I binged all of season 1 when I had stomach flu way back.  It took so long between season 2 and 3 because HBO laid down the law with the creator because he's such a fucking whackadoo.  If you're into true crime at all, this current season has shades of the West Memphis 3 case.  

Edit: I've watched the post-show interviews with the creator and I roll my eyes at every other sentence.  He's utterly ridiculous. 
  • Options

STUCK

Pedicure or massage gift? What about things to use in the hospital or when she's back home that you either enjoyed or wished you had that is still geared toward her. Slippers or fuzzy socks if she likes those, a robe, book or magazine subscription
  • Options
     @6fsn
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/vegan-brownies/
    besides the vegan chocolate chips, all normal ingredients. 
  • Options
    My only thought on the slippers- my feet grew when I was pregnant. I’d say slipper socks maybe, but they were too tight only my swollen legs too. 

I use use my food processor for homemade Lara bars and shredding zucchini. It gets enough use I keep it around. I just don’t buy the idea that vegan cheese is healthier than cheese made of milk. I’d be more sympathetic if it was the ethic reasons. Of course I also wonder a lit if this woman has some sort of disordered eating. 
  • Options

I painted our kitchen trim and walls this weekend, like the color, not sure if I love it yet.  Probably just still a shock because previously it was a beige/tan/gray paint design mash-up that looked like the 80's threw up.  Now it's just gray. 

I didn't sleep well at all last night and feel a little ragey this morning.  Nothing major on my work calendar today so hopefully can plug in headphones and power through some to-do list things. 

• Options
    I think slippers as a gift are great. I have a pair of LL Beans, and I live in them when I'm home. 

Weekend was good. Relaxed Friday. Saturday I got a BM dress for my brother's wedding. I actually really like the dress! Sunday I had a baby shower. Food was fantastic. Great choice for my cheat meal :smiley:

And sober January continues! 
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    @levioosa, I'm going to watch season 3 and skip season 2 entirely.  I cannot stand Colin Firth at all, I think he's a terrible actor, and then the reviews just make me not want to watch that season at all.  I adore Mahershala Ali so much and the reviews of Season 3 are pretty decent.

I love, love, LOVE him.  His wife is pretty damn amazing too (she's not in the business).  If you haven't heard it, I recommend listening the interview they did together a few years back with the podcast "Death, Sex, and Money".  
  • Options

I'm sorry to hear about the rollercoaster MrsMitten.  That's awful.

That recipe sounds delicious. I'm always trying to find a dip that isn't hummus:)

I think I have a dessert idea too- brownies!  I used to always do a black bean brownie, but haven't in ages.  I can do a non-black bean too. 

• Options
    Woke up with a cold, but not sick enough not to come to work. Have a gynecologist appointment with a new doctor in an hour which is exactly how you want your Monday to go. 
  • Options
    Woke up with a cold, but not sick enough not to come to work. Have a gynecologist appointment with a new doctor in an hour which is exactly how you want your Monday to go. 
    Ugh.  Sounds like you need a hot toddy after work for all the Monday-ing you must do today.  ;) 
  • Options
    short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited January 2019

SSSAAAIINNTTSSS!!!!!  Going to the NFC championship ((dance, dance)). 

It is FREEZING in my office building!  It's 40 f**king degrees outside and they don't have the heat on at all.  Even the Big Boss has been complaining to maintenance, but hasn't gotten any word as to what is going on. 

In annoying news for NOLA, Trump is in town today speaking at the American Farm Bureau Federation’s 100th annual convention.  Sounds to me like pandering to his fan base when he really has much better things to be doing right now.  But, whatever.

On the local bright side, he should be long gone for evening rush hour.  The unmitigated traffic nightmare is always a concern during a POTUS visit.  But I think I will be unscathed, this time around.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hugs @mrsmitten. That’s so frustrating. 

I hope you feel better @charlotte989875

@6fsn would you mind sharing the brownie recipe?

• Options
    ei34ei34 member
    edited January 2019
    Maybe a fruit tart made with vegan puff pastry?
    I like slippers as a gift...ditto LL Bean are the best!
    Feel better soon @charlotte989875 , hope you get a break soon @levioosa and Congrats/ughh @mrsmitten

Weekend was enjoyable.  I booked next year’s Christmas card photo shoot on Saturday (it sells out almost immediately I know it seems far in advance 😝). The kids have some days off this week and I do too, I’d like to take them to the Holiday Train Show at a nearby Botanical Gardens but trying to watch the forecast to pick the best day weather-wise.
    edit spelling 
  • Options
    Feel better @charlotte989875

@missJeanLouise Slippers are a fantastic idea!

Still not feeling great from last week. I think whatever I had has now morphed into a sinus infection. I had an appointment with a teledoc at noon who prescribed me an antibiotic. Hopefully that'll finally get me some relief.

PSA to anyone who has health insurance - check and see if your plan provides telemedicine services. I've been telling my employer groups about it for years but today was the first day I was able to actually use it. The appointment lasted about 3 minutes, was able to do it on my iPhone in my office and I can pick up my prescription on the way home from work. It was also way cheaper than seeing my PCP or going to urgent care.
  • Options
    Feel better @charlotte989875

@missJeanLouise Slippers are a fantastic idea!

Still not feeling great from last week. I think whatever I had has now morphed into a sinus infection. I had an appointment with a teledoc at noon who prescribed me an antibiotic. Hopefully that'll finally get me some relief.

PSA to anyone who has health insurance - check and see if your plan provides telemedicine services. I've been telling my employer groups about it for years but today was the first day I was able to actually use it. The appointment lasted about 3 minutes, was able to do it on my iPhone in my office and I can pick up my prescription on the way home from work. It was also way cheaper than seeing my PCP or going to urgent care.
    I hope the telemedicine works well for you!  I've used it once and it was so convenient, but overall not a good experience for me.  I'm allergic to pennicillin and they assured me the medicine has such trace amounts that I'd be fine, but within minutes of taking it, my face, throat and neck swelled up!  I'd probably still give it another try, I'd just probably push back on the medicine aspect if it had any of the 'cillins in it.
  • Options
    @levioosa it’s easy, but I will warn the texture of the brownies is denser/fudgier. Take a can of black beans, drain and rinse well. Put them back in the can and fill it up with water. Blend that all until smooth. Mix it with a box of brownie mix (for an 8x8). Bake according to the box. There are vegan mixes out there. 

@eileenrobi though about thatbut I don’t think if fruit as dessert and it’s my party:). If there are reasonable berries I might slice them up to go with