Wedding Woes

Wednesday sucks already

School is on a 2 hr delay. I was supposed to take max to his well visit and a day at the science center. Now I’m dragging all 3 to the visit and then to school.

On the plus side I can ask the doc about 6lets possible concussion. He got drilled at practice last night. I’m kind of amazed he’s going this long without a check. 

Re: Wednesday sucks already

• And I’m and I’m having a heck of a time getting to my workout because it’s online and I had to clear my history yesterday!
  • And now schools closed. Same damn thing happened on this date last year. 
  • Ugh, 6, that all sounds annoying! I hope 6let is okay! 

SS, DD for me. Our realtor is coming over tonight to start the sale ball rolling. And H broke the sink at the bar last night so there's another thing to add to that list. 

I called our garbage company the other day to schedule a large pickup. They said the regular guys will just take it and no need to schedule. How much you wanna bet that I will still have a broken futon in my front yard when I get home today?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • This week is really dragging. 

I've had to rework my entire weekend. MIL was supposed to fly in on Sunday, but changed it to Saturday due to the impending snowstorm. So now my Saturday is a shitshow of errands, and taking my mom into the city to meet with with my MIL. None of this really helps that much, because they're saying possibly the bulk of the snow could be Saturday night. UGH. 
  • Ugh.  Boo.  Why did they close school?  Snow? Ice?  We got a thin layer of ice overnight, but there was no delay for our schools.  There are some in the more rural areas. 

I'm hoping this weekend winter storm isn't that bad.  We're supposed to go to my work party Saturday night.   

Tonight we're doing an early dinner and running around afterward.  The kiddo leaves to go skiing with my parents in MI tomorrow for the weekend (it was his Christmas gift from them).  DH needs a shirt for the aforementioned party.  The kiddo needs another pair of ski gloves.  And haircuts for all.  ;) 
  • Ugh, I hate when schedules change like that, climbing. I'm a planner and messing one things up throws everything else off. Do you like your MIL? Is she staying at your house?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited January 2019
    Ugh, I hate when schedules change like that, climbing. I'm a planner and messing one things up throws everything else off. Do you like your MIL? Is she staying at your house?
    I know, and I had already scheduled to drop my car off for an oil change, a nail appointment, and a hair appointment. All stuff I had to reschedule from being sick the first weekend of Jan. 

Do I like my MIL. EH. Not really. She's done some pretty shitty things to me in the last year that has changed how I feel about her. What makes it harder is that she and my mom are friends now. 

ETA: thankfully she is not staying at my house this time. She's staying at a hotel in the city. 
  • Same. The day is off to a bummer start. 

H didn’t set the alarm last night so I woke up 10 minutes late. Still get to the gym but after I showered realized I forgot both a bra and underwear. My gym stuff was way too sweaty to re-wear since I did sprints this morning so I had to go back home to get ready. And the roads were super slippery because were getting a super nice rain/ice mix. 

At least we we had a good night last night. Tasty dinner, watched a little Parks & Rec, & BCBC. I slept well for the first time in a while! 
  • Sorry to hear about all the bad winter weather for some of you.

@ShesSoCold, I would not take that bet in re: to the futon, lol.  Good luck on the meeting with the realtor.

Not much going on today.  Nothing major, but I have a variety of loose ends again I need to tie up.  Adulting is hard, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2019
    Well, they rescheduled our work party to Feb 2nd.  Ugh.  Stupid winter weather. 
  • Good luck on the garbage pick up SSC.  You never know!
    6, sorry there’s no school for them!  I know kids love it... until summer rolls around and extra days are added (unless your in a district that actually plans for a few snow days).
    climbing - i have an appt for oild change/windsheild fix too but we’re slated for snow Saturday too. Ugh! 5–10” they say. 
    Charlotte that’s the worst.  I remember gym days.  I do it all at home now for the very reason of transport time and I like that I can work out in my pj’s!

H and I booked our February 2020 cruise already and got a fantastic deal plus i found out that they accepted our up grade bid and we’re concierge class on the upcoming one.  The perks, according to reviews, aren’t worth it but we’re now deck 12 which is prime location so i’m hoping It IS worth it.  There are a few more small perks, like we get an extra blow dryer in our room.  Do you know what this means? H and I can blow dry our HAIR AT THE SAME TIME!  That should be worth $250 right there.  Wake me up February 1st. 

Eta words
    If we had a treadmill it would be a lot easier but it’s not high in our listen of expenses now. So yeah I drove home from the gym (afternoon I showered) in pants and a shirt with no underwear. Not how I wanted to start my morning. 

Not aharing a blowdryer is totally worth the upgrade!
    6, sorry there’s no school for them!  I know kids love it... until summer rolls around and extra days are added (unless your in a district that actually plans for a few snow days).
    climbing - i have an appt for oild change/windsheild fix too but we’re slated for snow Saturday too. Ugh! 5–10” they say. 
    Charlotte that’s the worst.  I remember gym days.  I do it all at home now for the very reason of transport time and I like that I can work out in my pj’s!

H and I booked our February 2020 cruise already and got a fantastic deal plus i found out that they accepted our up grade bid and we’re concierge class on the upcoming one.  The perks, according to reviews, aren’t worth it but we’re now deck 12 which is prime location so i’m hoping It IS worth it.  There are a few more small perks, like we get an extra blow dryer in our room.  Do you know what this means? H and I can blow dry our HAIR AT THE SAME TIME!  That should be worth $250 right there.  Wake me up February 1st. 

Eta words
    I have a H that also uses a hair dryer, so I understand how exciting that is. 

We're taking a river cruise in September, and I'm planning all the details now. I'm so freaking excited. I sprung for business class flights, which means we get the lie down seats. I might be more excited for the flight! 
    Lol actually my H doesnt use one!  But he does use it on the glass for the steam to go away quicker.  My showers are not long enough to create steam.  I am excited for the pool bar around the corner from us though.  We’re not going to lack any beverage. 

yes to the flight!  It’s what? 8 hrs from NYC?  I think it’s 10 for us to Vienna from Chicago. 

Eta words
    I have a H that also uses a hair dryer, so I understand how exciting that is. 

We're taking a river cruise in September, and I'm planning all the details now. I'm so freaking excited. I sprung for business class flights, which means we get the lie down seats. I might be more excited for the flight! 
    Lol actually my H doesnt use one!  But he does use it on the glass for the steam to go away quicker.  My showers are not long enough to create steam.  I am excited for the pool bar around the corner from us though.  We’re not going to lack any beverage. 

yes to the flight!  It’s what? 8 hrs from NYC?  I think it’s 10 for us to Vienna from Chicago. 
    Haha! I totally thought you were serious about the hairdryers. I need more coffee. 

We're actually flying into Prague, and the only direct flights were totally inconvenient. So we're flying first to Lisbon (almost 7 hours), and then to Prague. We'll spend 2 days there, and then take the train to Vienna. 

Same deal on the way home from Budapest - we have a stop on the way home. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019

In this episode of Funny Stories of Finance:

Brief panic when I'm looking at the balance in my checking account.  According to my spreadsheet, I'm missing a few hundred dollars.  What happened?  (look at activity).  Ooohhhh.  Forgot to enter that $300 credit card payment on my spreadsheet.  Yep.  At least I found the discrepancy, lol.  Luckily, it doesn't matter.  I'm not in overdraft peril.

One of my 'ccs has a negative $4 balance because of bonus cash back added to the card this statement period.  Yet, my minimum payment is $1.50, which I'm guessing is residual interest (I paid the card off last month).  So, a current negative balance, but still have some weirdo tiny payment due.  All righty then!  Not even worth my time to call customer service.  I'll just make the $1.50 payment and go a little more into the negative, lol.

I made a large purchase on a 'cc I don't use much.  And then transferred the balance to a 0% promo on another card.  A couple months later, I realized I had $130 in 'cc points on that first card.  Usually, I just use points to pay down the balance.  Except I didn't have one.  Free $130 to spend!  Which I finally did and now I need to transfer my points to pay the balance, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hah, H uses my blowdryer to dry his beard. He's growing his hair and it's about chin-length; the longest it's ever been. I just had to give him a conditioner lesson the other day. It's only a matter of time before he starts drying his hair too. 

I'm debating something here and you guys and your awesome vacations are NOT helping.

H and I are bleeding money right now. We're not broke but we are borrowing from savings to pay credit card bills. I've been saving up all my credit card points/cash back for years in hopes of someday using them to pay for an entire vacation. But since we had so many unexpected expenses lately, I'm wondering if I should cash them in now for statement credits and to lessen the blow to our savings. 
  • Hah, H uses my blowdryer to dry his beard. He's growing his hair and it's about chin-length; the longest it's ever been. I just had to give him a conditioner lesson the other day. It's only a matter of time before he starts drying his hair too. 

I'm debating something here and you guys and your awesome vacations are NOT helping.

H and I are bleeding money right now. We're not broke but we are borrowing from savings to pay credit card bills. I've been saving up all my credit card points/cash back for years in hopes of someday using them to pay for an entire vacation. But since we had so many unexpected expenses lately, I'm wondering if I should cash them in now for statement credits and to lessen the blow to our savings. 
    That does sound like the most logical adult thing to do... but also not as much fun.

what I like about booking crusies a year out is they only ask for a deposit and I usually pay a little on the card throughout the year.  So by the time the full balance is due (3ish months away from it) it’s not a huge gob of money I have to throw on it. 

• Ditto about the cruises. I like the small deposit to book ahead, and then having all that time to pay it off. 
  • We were able to do a partial payment for our upcoming Cancun trip. I think it charged us a quarter of the trip? And then the rest gets charged the end of April. 

School today. I’m wiped out. Im almost 90% sure I’ll pick up a shift tomorrow and then I’m scheduled to work Friday. This week feels crazy long. 

• I'm WFH with a meeting this afternoon.  H doesn't have to go in until later too so we both slept in a little - yay!

He is staying in the Capitol tonight for late/early meetings today/tomorrow.  Fortunately, this shouldn't happen too often (the Rep to the South of us has stayed 5 times max over 4 years), but he still packed a JIC office bag with toiletries, a dress shirt, tie etc.  It's supposed to snow this weekend/next week so better to be safe than sorry.

I have a bunch of stuff to do before my meeting, but no motivation.  A local photographer took a ton of photos during the campaign and gave me a CD of pictures of us and H's events and I can't get the CD player thing on my laptop to open so I'm googling that instead of working on quotes.  At least I won't be destracted tonight. I see an evening of West Wing and work in my future.

@ShesSoCold yup, I'm not betting on your waste management company either!

@climbingwife that trips sounds amazing!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    Hah, H uses my blowdryer to dry his beard. He's growing his hair and it's about chin-length; the longest it's ever been. I just had to give him a conditioner lesson the other day. It's only a matter of time before he starts drying his hair too. 

I think it depends some on what your savings are/would be vs. the savings level you all are most comfortable at.  Typical financial advice recommends people keep 6 months worth of bare-bone expenses in an emergency fund, ie savings account.  But obviously that is a lot easier said than done and most people have almost no savings.

Normally, I would encourage you just keep saving the points, that is a goal you have been working on for a very long time and bills are being paid.

However, considering you all are moving in the near future, I'd think you all would want an extra savings cushion...not less...and there are probably going to be a lot more unexpected expenses.

Here are some general tips on a stretching a budget, which essentially boils down to cutting expenses and/or adding income:

• Declutter and sell stuff.  For you all, this should be the number one priority!  I know this is a challenge for your H, lol.  But it is really a double-win strategy.  More money to put to 'ccs and/or replenish savings.  Less stuff to move.
    • Could you all get by on one car?  If not now, could you all right before you move?  Benefits: one less car payment, lower car insurance, sell car=money
    • Cut way back or eliminate any unnecessary expenses.  Keep it essential bills (needs) only.  Not forever, but for now.  Some of the "extras" categories include: cable tv, entertainment, dining out, most retail (clothing, shoes, etc.)
    • Pick up some side gig(s).  There are so many out there nowadays.
    Edited to add:  Totally forgot!  You all are selling your house.  See what your realtor says tonight about comps.  Hopefully, you all will be coming away with some money.  Use points to pay down the 'cc balances for now.  And then earmark that same value to come out of the house sale and go into a vacation savings fund.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn said:

I don't know.  Our waste people take ANYTHING even if you don't call for bulk pick up.  We put out a steel frame couch with recliners, barely had it wrapped in plastic like the ask and they took that sucker.

6let does not have a concussion, but the doctor gave good information for the next time someone gets clocked.  I'm positive there will be a next time for someone.

Ooh, I hope our new company is like yours! Our old one would barely pick up the regular stuff, let alone anything outside of the bins. 

Hah, H uses my blowdryer to dry his beard. He's growing his hair and it's about chin-length; the longest it's ever been. I just had to give him a conditioner lesson the other day. It's only a matter of time before he starts drying his hair too. 

I think it depends some on what your savings are/would be vs. the savings level you all are most comfortable at.  Typical financial advice recommends people keep 6 months worth of bare-bone expenses in an emergency fund, ie savings account.  But obviously that is a lot easier said than done and most people have almost no savings.

Normally, I would encourage you just keep saving the points, that is a goal you have been working on for a very long time and bills are being paid.

However, considering you all are moving in the near future, I'd think you all would want an extra savings cushion...not less...and there are probably going to be a lot more unexpected expenses.

Here are some general tips on a stretching a budget, which essentially boils down to cutting expenses and/or adding income:

• Declutter and sell stuff.  For you all, this should be the number one priority!  I know this is a challenge for your H, lol.  But it is really a double-win strategy.  More money to put to 'ccs and/or replenish savings.  Less stuff to move.
    • Could you all get by on one car?  If not now, could you all right before you move?  Benefits: one less car payment, lower car insurance, sell car=money
    • Cut way back or eliminate any unnecessary expenses.  Keep it essential bills (needs) only.  Not forever, but for now.  Some of the "extras" categories include: cable tv, entertainment, dining out, most retail (clothing, shoes, etc.)
    • Pick up some side gig(s).  There are so many out there nowadays.
    We definitely have enough in savings (and moving some of that money into a different account has been on my "really should do this someday" list for a while now) to cover emergencies and moving and whatnot. 

Our general budget is good and we're happy with our normal monthly in/out, we just had probably $7,000 in unexpected/unusual expenses the last few months. Since I put everything on cards to get the points, the bills are coming in now.

But to your points, we're already working on that and have a ton of stuff for a garage sale. 
    Both our cars are paid off. We've thought about selling mine but decided not to mess with the cars until after we move. We'd be okay with one car here, but doubtful when we move and we don't know what our jobs will look like so we don't want to have to buy a car right away. 
    Like I said, normally our budget is fine, just this last quarter really bombarded us. We've already stopped the "fun" stuff like going out to dinner and shopping and spending on anything that isn't a priority. H can basically get as many hours as he wants so he's been working a lot of OT lately. 
  • Work has been steady, but not crazy, thank goodness.  Sometimes it goes from 0 at the Holidays to 1000 in January.  There is a bunch to do, but it's not emergent deadlines.

Tonight DD is having her follow-up appointment for her pneumonia.  Then pizza for dinner (what else with this kid!) and then home.  I'm popping over to Target at lunch.  Still debating which one to go to!  The smaller and closer one or the bigger and farther one!

SSC - I would use the points to pay down the cards to keep more money in savings.  I like S+Ss idea to replenish any money taken from the savings and vacation ear-marked money back from the sale of your house.  Also - if you lived by me, a scrapper would probably already have taken your futon! 

• Ooh, I hope our new company is like yours! Our old one would barely pick up the regular stuff, let alone anything outside of the bins. 

We definitely have enough in savings (and moving some of that money into a different account has been on my "really should do this someday" list for a while now) to cover emergencies and moving and whatnot. 

Our general budget is good and we're happy with our normal monthly in/out, we just had probably $7,000 in unexpected/unusual expenses the last few months. Since I put everything on cards to get the points, the bills are coming in now.

But to your points, we're already working on that and have a ton of stuff for a garage sale. 
    Both our cars are paid off. We've thought about selling mine but decided not to mess with the cars until after we move. We'd be okay with one car here, but doubtful when we move and we don't know what our jobs will look like so we don't want to have to buy a car right away. 
    Like I said, normally our budget is fine, just this last quarter really bombarded us. We've already stopped the "fun" stuff like going out to dinner and shopping and spending on anything that isn't a priority. H can basically get as many hours as he wants so he's been working a lot of OT lately. 

Gotcha!  Thanks for the additional info.  Good to hear the 'cc balances are recent and for points, as opposed to carrying 'cc debt.  Because I was in the 'cc debt category last year and it is hateful, lol.

Now that I'm back to paying off my 'ccs each month (meh, not the business ones yet), I am a points fanatic!  I put whatever I can on cards.  Hence how I ended up with $130 worth of points and wasn't quite sure what to do with them, lol.

If you saw the edit to my above post, I suggested using the points for the balances and then earmarking some of the house proceeds for a vacation savings fund.  Kind of like "paying yourself back", so to speak, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Random question: remember those Turkish towels we talked about awhile back? Would they be any good for a lightweight towel option after a shower at the gym? I hate the microfiber towel I have right now. I feel like it doesn’t absorb anything and it just sticks to my skin. 

• Sending good thoughts and baby vibes to you, Casadena! <3