Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Vows

We have decided to write our own vows. I am trying to decide how many "promises" I want to include in my vows. I have been watching videos online to get ideas and it seems pretty common for the bride to make about 6-8 promises in her vows. That seems kind of a lot to me, but what would you recommend?

Re: Vows

• We have decided to write our own vows. I am trying to decide how many "promises" I want to include in my vows. I have been watching videos online to get ideas and it seems pretty common for the bride to make about 6-8 promises in her vows. That seems kind of a lot to me, but what would you recommend?
    There’s not a right answer here; it’s however many you want to promise to your FI on your wedding day. 

Think about what you truly want to promise them. What is right for you might not be what other people do and that’s totally fine!
  • We have decided to write our own vows. I am trying to decide how many "promises" I want to include in my vows. I have been watching videos online to get ideas and it seems pretty common for the bride to make about 6-8 promises in her vows. That seems kind of a lot to me, but what would you recommend?
    There’s not a right answer here; it’s however many you want to promise to your FI on your wedding day. 

Think about what you truly want to promise them. What is right for you might not be what other people do and that’s totally fine!
    There are three things I for sure what to promise him and all three are funny so I feel like at the very least I need to have three more serious ones to balance it out. I just worry about making the vows too long. 
  • Out of curiosity, what, if any, decisions have you made independent of input from strangers?
    Why don't you write some up and we can offer input on them.
  • MobKaz said:
    Out of curiosity, what, if any, decisions have you made independent of input from strangers?
    Why don't you write some up and we can offer input on them.
    I do have them written up I was just worried I had too many. 
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2019
    I wouldn't include deliberately "funny vows" in your ceremony. It's not the right time for comedy.

Aside from the fact that your officiant and guests may, your intentions notwithstanding, interpret your humor as a lack of maturity or not taking your marriage seriously, contrived "humor" tends to fall flat and the "vows" are often impossible to keep. 

The reception and/or any pre- or post-wedding events, or in private are better moments to exchange "funny" vows.
  • This thread is over a year old. If you want to start another thread you a welcome to do so.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards