Wedding Reception Forum

Maui Small - "Cheap" JUST Reception Venue

Hi all! I am having my wedding on Wed, July 3rd in Kihei, Maui. We are having a church ceremony, that is booked and ready, but have been debating on what to do with our reception.

I have thought of bringing my own table and catering to the beach and having guests bring their own chairs. But now I am wondering if there is a beach/beachside venue out there that wouldn't cost me more than $2k and would be less of a hassle.

We are expecting less than 30 people.

Any leads are appreciated! 

Re: Maui Small - "Cheap" JUST Reception Venue

• I don't know about venues in Maui but please don't ask guests to bring their own chairs to your reception. Is this a destination wedding or are you local? Does the church have a fellowship hall that you could use for your reception? That would be the first thing I would check into.
  • Hi all! I am having my wedding on Wed, July 3rd in Kihei, Maui. We are having a church ceremony, that is booked and ready, but have been debating on what to do with our reception.

I have thought of bringing my own table and catering to the beach and having guests bring their own chairs. But now I am wondering if there is a beach/beachside venue out there that wouldn't cost me more than $2k and would be less of a hassle.

We are expecting less than 30 people.

Any leads are appreciated! 
    Ditto what PP said. 
    Also look if there are any restaurants on the beach that could accommodate a group and your budget.
  • Please do not ask guests to bring their own chairs! That's very rude. You are hosting the reception as a thank you to your guests. Chairs should be provided for them. 
  • Your guests should not have to subsidize any part of your wedding. This includes seating, food, and drinks. 

• Ditto the PPs that your guests shouldn't have to bring anything, but themselves.

The nice thing about a small guest list is you can probably find a restaurant with a banquet room.  Or a nice outdoor space with your own catering.  Just make sure tables/chairs/etc. is provided.  Make sure there is also a plan for rain.  I realize HI has temperate weather year round but, depending on where you are, it can also rain a lot.

I did something similar for my own wedding.  We had 35 people.  The venue was my mother/stepfather's house.  We had a local restaurant bring the food and our signature cocktail, set it up buffet style, and then they left.  The wedding was in So. CA but, funny enough, it was Hawaiian food and we got our cake from a Hawaiian bakery.  My mom was born and raised outside of Hilo, so it's part of our culture.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  And if it is a destination wedding, where on earth would you expect them to get these chairs anyway? You should be able to find a venue that can cater for 30 people and stay within your budget of $2,000 without much trouble.