Chit Chat

YOU GET AN AVATAR! AND YOU GET AN AVATAR!

MobKazMobKaz member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited January 2019 in Chit Chat
Hello from "Chiberia"!  
There is a small chance, NO thanks to The Knot, that @OliveOilsMom has cracked the avatar code.  @MairePoppy tried it with success.  So, as much as @ILoveBeachMusic and I have enjoyed our avatar royalty status, I do feel compelled to share.  It is by no means a selfless gesture; for some reason those button/faux smiley face icons creep the crap out of me!  So if you are home and stuck in the deep freeze, avatar away!

"There was a banner across the top of TK when I logged in ONE TIME, that said everyone needed to re-upload their avatars.  I only saw it that one time and many people either haven't seen it or don't care anymore!  LOL!"

Re: YOU GET AN AVATAR! AND YOU GET AN AVATAR!

• Everyone gets an avatar!

• YES. It worked. 
  • Hi from another Chicago suburbs person. Hope you are staying warm. 
  • edited January 2019
    We know it's cold when they're telling the Chicagans to stay inside. How cold is it? Please give me temperatures and wind chill factors so I won't feel  so cold.

• MobKazMobKaz member
    edited January 2019
    I live @20 miles (north) from O'Hare airport......

CHICAGO (WLS) --
    The Chicago area woke up Wednesday to subzero, record-breaking, dangerous cold temperatures, which is expected to continue until Thursday evening.

The lowest temp recorded was -23 (and -49 wind chills) at O'Hare International Airport.

Temperatures Wednesday night into Thursday could challenge the record low temperature for Chicago of -27 degrees. The high temperature for Wednesday was -10, which was near the record of -11.  These are the temperatures, not including wind chills!

The high for Thursday is expected to be -1 with snow developing late. Temperatures will warm up on Friday, with a high of 19 degrees and a low of 11 degrees.

I believe one newscaster said we will have a 100 degree differential within 2 days.  The balmy, tropical temps over the weekend will bring a new set of potential issues with snow, rain, and flooding scenarios.  In our area, residents try really hard to clear road grates/drains and hydrants, but there will be a different kind of headache this weekend! :-(  However, in my area, I cannot tell you how many restaurants, owned or operated by locals, have made announcements that any first responder or city workers that show up will get free entrees in appreciation of their efforts during this insanity.

As I get older, some of these extremes make me anxious.  I have already made a list of things to change/do this spring in an attempt to lessen my anxiety next winter!
  • MobKaz said:
    I live @20 miles (north) from O'Hare airport......

CHICAGO (WLS) --
    The Chicago area woke up Wednesday to subzero, record-breaking, dangerous cold temperatures, which is expected to continue until Thursday evening.

The lowest temp recorded was -23 (and -49 wind chills) at O'Hare International Airport.

Temperatures Wednesday night into Thursday could challenge the record low temperature for Chicago of -27 degrees. The high temperature for Wednesday was -10, which was near the record of -11.  These are the temperatures, not including wind chills!

The high for Thursday is expected to be -1 with snow developing late. Temperatures will warm up on Friday, with a high of 19 degrees and a low of 11 degrees.

I believe one newscaster said we will have a 100 degree differential within 2 days.  The balmy, tropical temps over the weekend will bring a new set of potential issues with snow, rain, and flooding scenarios.  In our area, residents try really hard to clear road grates/drains and hydrants, but there will be a different kind of headache this weekend! :-(  However, in my area, I cannot tell you how many restaurants, owned or operated by locals, have made announcements that any first responder or city workers that show up will get free entrees in appreciation of their efforts during this insanity.

As I get older, some of these extremes make me anxious.  I have already made a list of things to change/do this spring in an attempt to lessen my anxiety next winter!
    You've peaked my curiosity, what needs to be done to lessen your anxiety? I guess I don't understand what these extremes cause - I probably don't need to know with daughter and the grandtwins in the area!
  • edited January 2019
    MobKaz, our lowest temperature over the last 2 weeks was -7 degrees F, which was before dawn. I finally ventured out when the temps hit 2 degrees and it hurt when the wind blew. We haven't seen much snow this winter, but the last few years we've been socked in February and March.  Your really frigid weather sounds dreadful. I hope your power stays on and you can hunker down for the weekend in your warm home, with a good book and some hot cocoa.

This really decadent, but if you haven't tried it, stir a glob of nutella into your cocoa.

• Ahh, much better.  Thanks so much ladies

• MobKaz said:
    Hello from "Chiberia"!  
    There is a small chance, NO thanks to The Knot, that @OliveOilsMom has cracked the avatar code.  @MairePoppy tried it with success.  So, as much as @ILoveBeachMusic and I have enjoyed our avatar royalty status, I do feel compelled to share.  It is by no means a selfless gesture; for some reason those button/faux smiley face icons creep the crap out of me!  So if you are home and stuck in the deep freeze, avatar away!

"There was a banner across the top of TK when I logged in ONE TIME, that said everyone needed to re-upload their avatars.  I only saw it that one time and many people either haven't seen it or don't care anymore!  LOL!"

I never saw this on TK, but it popped up every time I accessed TB for several weeks. Haven't had any issues over there, and I haven't seen anyone else have issues either. Of course, TK would put the banner where it's not needed and not where it is needed. 
  • MobKazMobKaz member
    edited January 2019
    @ILoveBeachMusic, I do not like how cold the circuit box has gotten, so I want to see about better insulation behind it.  I want to see about changing my low exterior dryer vent to a higher spot.  I'm good about clearing it when it snows, but in extreme weather, usage can cause it to freeze shut.  We meant to do it when remodeling and I let it slide.  I want to have the insulation factor checked in the attic.  The most nerve wracking issue is the dang pipes and all the potential for freezing and bursting.  This can happen even if you never lose power.  And of course, with the insane rising temperatures of up to 50 degrees by Monday, the media now has everyone worried about flooding :-(  

@MairePoppy, I am grateful the sun has been bright these past few days. We have not lost power, thankfully.  We have had intermittent cable and internet, but I am NOT about to complain about that!  I was dumbfounded to see my newspaper delivered both mornings when post office and waste management services have stopped.  I called this morning to request my delivery person put his address in my next paper so I can acknowledge those efforts!  
    Our kids go out for recess as long as the temperature/wind chill is 0 degrees or above.  

ETA:  And then there has been this as well.  I did not hear any but some of my neighbors did.....
    https://abc7chicago.com/weather/what-is-an-ice-quake/5113172/
  • Sigh. I've tried three times to upload mine. I'm going to give up and try another day.
  • edited February 2019
    Looks like a mincemeat tart. My Memere used to make mincemeat pies. I liked her meat pies much more. @ernursej

• Omg I got it to work.  I went to my profile and hovered over the weird smiley-not-smiley icon and it gave me the option to change my profile pic!  Yay!

• I have wanted to update my "snow globe" picture for so long!  Hooray for a glitch free day!
  • Well, I was able to fix my avatar but wasn't able to fix my signature.
  • edited February 2019
    OurWildKingdom, Did you click 'save changes?'

• edited February 2019
    OurWildKingdom, Did you click 'save changes?'
    I might have forgotten to do that. I’ll try it again tomorrow. Thanks @MairePoppy!
  • Is there a way to change them on mobile?
  • Looks like a mincemeat tart. My Memere used to make mincemeat pies. I liked her meat pies much more. @ernursej
    It was a whole cherry tart! Cherries that I pitted myself that we bought in the Okanagan.
  • This is just far too much pressure to decide what I want as a new avatar now....

Just let TK decide! I'm just glad it wasn't something embarrassing!

• I couldn’t get it on mobile @charlotte989875 had to use the desktop. 
    @ShesSoCold I can barely remember what anyone’s was and even I can relate to that lol

I went with a flower that reminded me of my wedding flowers.
  • Is there a way to change them on mobile?
    I had to use my laptop.