Chit Chat

Good morning from Chiberia

I hope everyone near me is safe and warm today. -27 without the windchill.  The heat is working, the dog is wrapped up in blankets and my daughter is still asleep under an electric blanket. Things are good so far.

Re: Good morning from Chiberia

• I am trying to avoid the news and all unnecessary melodrama.  I've survived all the other "big ones", so just trying to do what I can to prevent home issues.  The fact that temps are predicted to be in the 40's by the weekend is insane!
    I am waiting for the next wave of Chicago complaints to commence...….the dreaded pot holes!
  • Mobkaz are you are you in the NW suburbs?
    Two years ago I went through tires twice from the lousy potholes!
  • Sending warm and cozy thoughts to everyone in the polar path! 

• I’m in the western suburbs and relieved that work closed. Doubt we will close tomorrow too, even though it’s supposed to be as cold in the morning. 

A little irritated that my dad, who hadn’t been heard from since Monday, finally responded to texts as I was pulling out of my driveway to do a wellness check, but at least he’s okay. 

I’m baking the rest of the afternoon. I’m loving today with H and I both home and since we had our realtor here Monday, the house is already clean. 

Stay at safe and warm ladies!
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • debbeau said:
    Mobkaz are you are you in the NW suburbs?
    Two years ago I went through tires twice from the lousy potholes!
    Yes ma'am, Lake County.  
    I honestly thought our district might consider a late start day tomorrow, but I just got the call we are closed again tomorrow :-(  I hope our district starts to seriously consider the new eSchool Learning curriculum, which allows teachers to post lessons on line, and eliminate the need to make up some of these days!
  • Smart girl. Avoiding the Cook County taxes. I teach high school and at our middle and high schools we have the ability to assign lessons, post grades and missing assignments (the kids hate that) that the parent also have access to. The students in 6-12 receive an iPad so they all have access to information. I love being able to ask my daughter “are you sure you have no homework”. 
  • debbeau said:
    Smart girl. Avoiding the Cook County taxes. I teach high school and at our middle and high schools we have the ability to assign lessons, post grades and missing assignments (the kids hate that) that the parent also have access to. The students in 6-12 receive an iPad so they all have access to information. I love being able to ask my daughter “are you sure you have no homework”. 
    Yep.  Just over the county line from Cook.  

So our district has had those abilities as well, but now districts are taking advantage of a new PL that allows them to replace snow days with eLearning Days.  No days to make up at the end of the year!  It's easier to accomplish at the HS and middle school level because they are also 1:1 with devices.  Neighboring districts are beginning to find ways to accommodate elementary kiddos now, too!

"A new state law (Public Act 100-0465) allows school districts to use “e-learning” days that count as an official attendance day.

Teachers share a lesson plan with their students through the learning management system they typically use to share information (P Learning, Google Classroom or Canvas) or email. Teachers will let students know what they must do to show evidence that they completed the lesson. Student attendance will be verified by their participation in the lesson and completion of assignments. "

It makes a lot of sense in areas with hard winters.  

• Our districts use e-learning days too @Mobkaz as do many of our private schools. The high school that my sons attended was notorious for never canceling school so that they wouldn't have to make up days. Now that they can do e-learning they cancel at the drop of a hat. I'm actually glad they do because they draw students from all over the metropolitan area. It can be dangerous to have students driving in snowy conditions!
  • Unfortunately we have a lot of push back about using any eLearning. We are told with the large absenteeism problems and self discipline issues it would be difficult to monitor.

I can see so many situations where it would be useful.  Besides snow days I have had students that don’t always work well in a classroom environment and would be able to continue their studies instead of missing weeks at a time. Sorry, I’m on my soapbox. Just want the kids to get ahead.