Wedding Woes

Happy Tuesday!

edited February 2019 in Wedding Woes
What's goin' on ladies?! I hope your arm feels better, Casadena!

I'm debating whether or not to spend $300 on Valentine's Day. There's a Scottish restaurant not far from us that H has wanted to try and I've heard really good things. They're doing a 14-course tasting menu for V Day for $120/person. But we just spent $400 on ceiling tiles and we don't know what paint and tile is gunna cost. So, hmmmmmmmm. 

My dad is supposed to come over tonight and help H fix these floor joists the previous owner cut notches into. But, like every time Dad's supposed to come, we're getting an ice storm this afternoon. He's on-call at the local airport for plowing snow and salting and stuff so I'm sure he'll be called in. 

ETA - my company reimburses you $150 for an annual gym membership and they let me use it on a website membership last year. My annual subscription just renewed. I already told them I'm leaving, but not for like 2 months. It would be a dick move to ask for the reimbursement, wouldn't it?
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Happy Tuesday!

• I say splurge on the restaurant. You only live once! 
    I probably wouldn't ask for reimbursement. I'd feel guilty. 

We're leaving for VT tonight! I can't wait. Hopefully this day goes quickly. 
  • I also say splurge on the restaurant! 

Second/last day in Chicago and more training. Hoping we get finished early and can hang out a little. I did go for a run through Millenium Park this morning which was cool!

• Lots of work today. Max is making his class valentines. I started a new work out program and I’m STARVING. 
  • eileenrob said:
    I’d go to the restaurant @ShesSoCold, have a great vacation @climbingwife and that’s awesome about the solar panels @short+sassy! Sounds nice about the run @charlotte989875

The woman i’d interviewed with a week and a half ago (it’ll be two weeks on Thurs) said she was interviewing candidates all last week too and she’d be in touch.  I emailed her yesterday afternoon following up (in a pleasant, not-pushy way).  Still waiting to hear.  I’m fine with sending my resume to prospective employers and never hearing back, but I feel like if I interview with someone they could shoot me a one line “sorry we went with someone else” email.  Another member of this organization ghosted me over the summer (not the guy who took me through four rounds of interviews, he at least let me know I didn’t get the job).  I think it’s a little strange- is that typical these days?

I agree wholeheartedly!  I think it's poor form not to.  Unfortunately, it's not unusual to never hear back from a company a person interviewed with.  My rough guess would be that happens 30-50% of the time.

It's very possible they are still deciding.  But still, she could have sent you back a quick e-mail to tell you that.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lots of work today. Max is making his class valentines. I started a new work out program and I’m STARVING. 
  • My arm is way less swollen today but still kind of painful and itchy - hoping it will be back to normal in the next couple days!

@shessocold I think you should try the restaurant too!  Also, I would definitely try to turn in the reimbursement.  They know you're leaving so if they're not cool with it they will just say no.  I would try and leave it up to them. Or see if they would prorate it for the 3 months of 2019 you were there.

@climbingwife, enjoy vacation!  Hope your day goes fast and you get to ski :)

@eileenrob, unfortunately it's super normal not to hear back even from companies you interviewed with.  At least in my experience (I've interviewed a ton in the last 2 years) it's probably at least 30% of the time.  It sucks and it's rude. 

• SSC - I would splurge on the restaurant since it will be much harder to get to once you move!  I would also put in for that reimbursement!  Your job will have no problem saying no to it, if they want.  So go for it! 

Climbing - Enjoy VT!

ElieenRob - Didn't that woman reach out to you about the job?  She should definitely tell you if you didn't get it.  I understand some places just ghost or send out form emails/letter, but she sought you out - she should tell you what is up.

I picked up DD and made dinner for us.  By the time we sat down to eat it was almost 630.  She did have some pretzels to tied her over, but I hate feeding her that late since she only goes to bed 45 minutes later.  But she was good for me, so that was a plus!  H came home just in time to put her to bed.  H also told me that while his muscles were sore, he was happy to be doing karate again.  His two friends are going to meet every Monday night to practice together.  I'm really happy that H has something to do outside of being dad each afternoon.  All parents need some downtime away from the kids either separately or together. 

Today is yoga and bath night for DD.  That's about all.

• I picked up DD and made dinner for us.  By the time we sat down to eat it was almost 630.  She did have some pretzels to tied her over, but I hate feeding her that late since she only goes to bed 45 minutes later.  But she was good for me, so that was a plus!  H came home just in time to put her to bed.  H also told me that while his muscles were sore, he was happy to be doing karate again.  His two friends are going to meet every Monday night to practice together.  I'm really happy that H has something to do outside of being dad each afternoon.  All parents need some downtime away from the kids either separately or together. 

My reading fail.  After I read that sentence, for just a few seconds I was thinking, "Yoga for DD?  Isn't she just a baby?"  I quickly realized it is yoga for you and that made a lot more sense, lol.

Though I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if there are yoga classes to do with one's baby.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I picked up DD and made dinner for us.  By the time we sat down to eat it was almost 630.  She did have some pretzels to tied her over, but I hate feeding her that late since she only goes to bed 45 minutes later.  But she was good for me, so that was a plus!  H came home just in time to put her to bed.  H also told me that while his muscles were sore, he was happy to be doing karate again.  His two friends are going to meet every Monday night to practice together.  I'm really happy that H has something to do outside of being dad each afternoon.  All parents need some downtime away from the kids either separately or together. 

My reading fail.  After I read that sentence, for just a few seconds I was thinking, "Yoga for DD?  Isn't she just a baby?"  I quickly realized it is yoga for you and that made a lot more sense, lol.

Though I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if there are yoga classes to do with one's baby.

I did the same thing. There are mom and me yoga classes though 
  • I vote go for the Scottish dinner! You’re moving soon so you might not get another chance to go. 

I took ZZQuil last night to try and force myself to sleep and I’m still a little groggy. It’s my day off but I have a lot to do and I still might go into clinic. FSIL just texted me that their living situation might change sooner than expected and they might not be able to go on the trip. I’m trying to think of ways we can still make the trip happen that would be more cost effective. It’s also not a for sure change so I’m on the side of let’s just relax for a second and not jump the gun on canceling anything. 

• 6fsn said:

I picked up DD and made dinner for us.  By the time we sat down to eat it was almost 630.  She did have some pretzels to tied her over, but I hate feeding her that late since she only goes to bed 45 minutes later.  But she was good for me, so that was a plus!  H came home just in time to put her to bed.  H also told me that while his muscles were sore, he was happy to be doing karate again.  His two friends are going to meet every Monday night to practice together.  I'm really happy that H has something to do outside of being dad each afternoon.  All parents need some downtime away from the kids either separately or together. 

I did the same thing. There are mom and me yoga classes though 

DD actually does Yippee for Yoga at school!  It's not a very structured class though! LOL!
  • @levioosa def don’t cancel anything yet! Sorry for the wrench in your trip plans.
    @OliveOilsMom my little nieces (about 2 and 4) actually take a yoga class. The videos are adorable.  
    And yes the women reached out to me to schedule the interview...it wasn’t a job I had seen/applied to.  Although thank you everyone for the feedback.  Seems kind of crappy to not let you know you didn’t get it after interviewing, but at least it’s good to know that it’s common.  
  • SSC - I'd submit the reimbursement. For our program like that as long as you are employed at the time it pays out you get it, doesn't matter if you plan to leave the next day. 

Eileen I feel like it is becoming par for the course in job search to just ghost people even if you interviewed. Totally not professional and it is ridiculous but I remember it happening in my last job search. My current employer just takes forever, so there would be long stretches between hearing back where I assumed I was being ghosted but really they were just uber slow. 
  • kvruns said:
    SSC - I'd submit the reimbursement. For our program like that as long as you are employed at the time it pays out you get it, doesn't matter if you plan to leave the next day. 

Eileen I feel like it is becoming par for the course in job search to just ghost people even if you interviewed. Totally not professional and it is ridiculous but I remember it happening in my last job search. My current employer just takes forever, so there would be long stretches between hearing back where I assumed I was being ghosted but really they were just uber slow. 
    Yes, I was ghosted for dozens of jobs. And then there were a few that were comically slow. I got an email the other day that said they regretted to inform me I did not get the job. Thanks, but I think I figured that out two years ago when you never called me back. Lol 

• levioosa said:
    Yes, I was ghosted for dozens of jobs. And then there were a few that were comically slow. I got an email the other day that said they regretted to inform me I did not get the job. Thanks, but I think I figured that out two years ago when you never called me back. Lol 

That's hilarious!  I can't help but wonder if there is a story behind that.  Like maybe they added a feature to their HR software that would automatically send "sorry" e-mails to job applicants.  But didn't set date parameters.

I had something kind of like that happen.  I was scheduled for a job interview last time I was unemployed.  The job and interview were in NOLA, but the corporate office was somewhere on the East Coast (I think Philly) and it was their HR who had scheduled my interview.  The same week as my interview, Hurricane Sandy hit.  The HR guy called me and said that, although their office was unaffected, they had other offices and employees who were impacted.  It was too much going on and they needed to postpone my interview to an unspecified later date.  And he would get back in touch.

A month went by and I sent a follow-up e-mail.  Never heard back.

Until 2-3 years later, lol.  Same HR guy got back in touch with me.  He at least referenced that we had spoken and the previous interview that had originally been scheduled.  He told me they had dropped the opening and decided not to fill it.  But now it was open again and he was wondering if I was still interested.

I was already working for my current employer, which I told him.  Perhaps it wasn't the most polite thing, but I asked about a general salary range.  Because I didn't want to take time off work to go to an interview, only to find out we weren't even in the same ballpark.  OMG, we weren't, lol.  For the qualifications they wanted, the salary was outrageously low and 40% less than what I made.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Today has been ugh.  Internet issues, DefConn is struggling with these weather changes and it's causing sinus/tonsil issues.  No fever/strep, so IDK what to do for him.  :(  I hope some rest tonight will help.  

It's almost the end of my day and I feel like I've been running in place.  Blerg. 
  • The Scottish restaurant sounds awesome, @ShesSoCold! Go for it!

@levioosa, hope you can still make the trip happen somehow.

@climbingwife, safe travels and enjoy!

The printers finally started working again at about 11:30. Just in time for me to get a bunch of emergency cases. I got so far behind on my regular work that I had to stay till 6:00. On the bus to a meeting now; DW is catching the bus near where we live.