Chit Chat

Who went with you to pick your wedding dress?

I have no reason for asking other than pure curiosity. Who'd you invite? Who invited themselves? How'd it all work out?

Re: Who went with you to pick your wedding dress?

• I went with DD, and I think perhaps 3 of her BM's came along as well.  They enjoyed picking out dresses.  If I recall, one of the BM's picked the dress DD chose to purchase.
    DIL went alone.  She was in grad school.  Her mom lived out of state.  Her mom and myself both went to the shop when the dress arrived.  I think it was sheer luck that the dress came in while her mom was in town for the shower.
  • My mom, my MIL, my MOH, and another close friend. I invited all of them. 

I did just go dress shopping with my FSIL. Her mom was there, along with her MOH too. My mom was away and couldn't make it. 
  • One of my sisters came with me. 
  • I had a really hard time finding a dress. My mom and I went several times and my sister came once or twice.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I went with my mom.   My wedding was before the days of SYTTD and it never occurred to me to turn it into an 'event'.   It was a nice day for us to bond.   
  • I went with my mom. I had another appointment scheduled for later in the week that I was going to have my MIL and one SIL come with, but I bought the first dress I tried on so I cancelled that appointment, ha.
  • My mom and MOH (my sister) live far away from me, so they couldn't go dress shopping with me.  I had resigned myself to going alone, but two friends offered to go with me.  I was so glad they came.  It was a lot more fun.  I took pics of the dresses I tried on, e-mailed them to my mom, and we talked about them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My mom and sister went with me. We visited three places and by the end of the day my mom determined she could just make something like the style I seemed to be gravitating towards. So we did that. 
  • mom, gma, sister and even that was too many.  I ended up shopping a few days by myself and picked out 4-5 dresses that I loved, then invited them again to help me pick between the ones I had already narrowed down.
  • My mom and sister went with me. We visited three places and by the end of the day my mom determined she could just make something like the style I seemed to be gravitating towards. So we did that. 

That's awesome!  I admire people who have that kind of skill.  A close friend's mom is an amazing seamstress with a side biz making wedding dresses and formal gowns.  I know my friend's wedding dress is extra special to her, because her mom created it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Years ago, I went alone because I didn't want anyone's input. My daughter asked me and a friend to come shopping with her.
  • I went with my Ma  and once with my MIL & SIL... 

• I ordered online. Never went to a store 
  • I love that there are a few people who went alone! I'm such an introvert I think that would be so refreshing - but then I'd probably panic making such a semi-expensive decision on my own, lol.

I guess it also depends on the dynamic between the people you invite and how invested they are in the decision. My mom has great taste in this stuff, but it isn't my taste, which I think could create some minor fireworks and make things awkward for anyone else who came. +1 to ordering online!
  • I invited my mom, fmil, my sister, fsil, and mil’s bff to go with me the first time. They all lived out of state and hadn’t met each other yet so it was a good opportunity to get everyone together. I had no intention of buying a dress then, it was just a fun thing to do together. After that initial weekend, I went by myself to several different stores. I am fairly picky so it was nice just having the attendant to myself, lol. I eventually bought a dress while visiting DH’s family so before I bought it I asked fmil to come look at it. At that point I still cared about her opinion, lol.
  • CasadenaCasadena member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2019
    nightnerd said:
    I love that there are a few people who went alone! I'm such an introvert I think that would be so refreshing - but then I'd probably panic making such a semi-expensive decision on my own, lol.

I guess it also depends on the dynamic between the people you invite and how invested they are in the decision. My mom has great taste in this stuff, but it isn't my taste, which I think could create some minor fireworks and make things awkward for anyone else who came. +1 to ordering online!
    These reasons are exactly why I loved shopping alone and narrowing it down to 4-5 dresses that I loved and really would have been happy with any of them.  I wanted an opinion bc my mom and gma do have good taste (and gma offered to pay).  I thought it was a great compromise to narrow down and THEN let them offer opinions on my final choices that I alone had picked :)
  • I ordered my suit online. When we went shopping for DW’s dress, it was just the two of us, my mom, and MOH.
  • My daughter asked me to go shopping for her dress, just the two of us. It was very nice. 

• I just went with my mom, which was really nice (and helpful). When I was at the bridal shop I ended up getting my dress from, there was another women trying on dresses at the same time as me who must have had all the women in her family with her. I would've found that incredibly overwhelming.
  • I went to the first store with my Mom, sister, Dad and MIL and found the whole thing overwhelming. I went to the second store with just my Mom and found my dress with zero anxiety. 
  • I went with no one, even though people offered. I went to two stores, then ended up buying my dress on eBay.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019
    I went with a friend of mine.  I bought my dress at a bridal store closing event (where they sell off every sample in the store in one day).  I knew they had this one dress I absolutely wanted.  I had no idea what size sample they had.  I stood in a line for over an hour with one of my toughest friends (you need a badass to shove other brides out of the way.  jk).  We ran in and found the dress.  It was 3 sizes too big but it was still there!  The waiting line to try dresses on was over an hour but an employee let us sneak down into their basement and I tried the dress on in the corner of the basement with no mirrors.  It was too big but I thought it might be able to be brought in.  Within 30 minutes of getting into the store, I was walking out with a $2,000 dress that only cost me $500.