Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress opinions

Hi all!

I'm a complete novice when it comes to dress shopping and designers. I’ve been browsing ahead online to find my style and fallen in love with these two Morilee dresses.

One of them is a style that would typically suit and fit my body shape but feels a bit too fairy tale compared to the style of wedding we’re thinking. The other is more what I’d imagined to wear but I’m not sure the dress style will work with me as well as the other would.

Obviously, this all could change once I visit a store but these embody most aspects of my ‘dream dress’. I’d love some opinions on each of them please. What sort of wedding theme would they fit with, how would you wear your hair/shoes/accessories with them? Am I over thinking this already? Haha. Thanks.

Re: Dress opinions

• Both the dresses are gorgeous! Go with the one that suits your body shape. You’ll be a lot more comfortable and happy. 

Whichever one you go with, keep the jewelry simple and not too ornate, and if you go with the backless one, put your hair up.
  • I like the first one and LOVE the second one. Go shopping and see which you feel best and most comfortable in. You can't really know until you try them on.

I don't know what "style" of wedding you have in mind, but unless you are having a very casual wedding, I think either dress would be fine (the first one might look a bit out of place at a more casual event, but that doesn't preclude you from getting it if you really love it, of course). 

I agree with @OurWildKingdom to keep the jewelry simple. These dresses both speak for themselves and don't need a lot of embellishment.
  • First - you need to go try them on for what you look like wearing them.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Next, budget, if the dresses aren't in your budget, it doesn't even pay to try them on because there's nothing worse than falling in love with a dress you truly can't afford because all other dresses will compare to that one.  

It is not about fitting a "theme" with your dress, your wedding dress is the dress, not a prop in a performance.  The "Theme" of the wedding is two people getting married.  As for shoes - you choose ones that fit your feet that you're going to feel comfortable wearing for 12-14 hours.  Jewelry, DH purchased a pearl necklace for me so that's what I wore.  
  • I agree with @MesmrEwe. The theme of the wedding is that two people are getting married. If you love the dress and it is within your budget, go for it.

I too, would keep the jewelry simple for either dress. Both dresses have a lot going on and don't need a lot of jewelry. For shoes, again go with what you are comfortable wearing. Nobody will really see your feet unless you do a photo of your shoes - not a fan of that really. It is important that you are comfortable on your feet all day. Nothing is worse than blistered feet at the end of the day.

Good luck and have fun.
  • edited February 2019
    Thanks everyone. I know I can’t really tell before trying them on but judging my the design of both dresses and what usually suits my body type, I predict the ball gown flattering me the most. We’ll see though.

I guess I have been overthinking things lol. Our wedding ‘theme’ is quite casual - rustic, romantic and outdoors. It’ll be in the details rather than a grand affair. I was thinking of soft, natural make up, flat-ish shoes for comfort and I’m not a big jewellery wearer anyway so maybe just some earrings. For hair, I was thinking half up/hair down with a braid with flowers or a flower crown.

I just wondered if it was worth even trying on the/a ballgown dress, and risking falling in love with it, if it was going to look out of place in a less traditional ceremony.
  • Thanks everyone. I know I can’t really tell before trying them on but judging my the design of both dresses and what usually suits my body type, I predict the ball gown flattering me the most. We’ll see though.

I guess I have been overthinking things lol. Our wedding ‘theme’ is quite casual - rustic, romantic and outdoors. It’ll be in the details rather than a grand affair. I was thinking of soft, natural make up, flat-ish shoes for comfort and I’m not a big jewellery wearer anyway so maybe just some earrings. For hair, I was thinking half up/hair down with a braid with flowers or a flower crown.

I just wondered if it was worth even trying on the/a ballgown dress, and risking falling in love with it, if it was going to look out of place in a less traditional ceremony.
    It’s a wedding, a wedding dress won’t look out of place. The only thing that would make me side eye a dress is if it looks like a very expensive dress but there is a cash bar or not enough chairs or something like that. 

YEP!!!  Or "heavy apps" during a meal time and not enough for all of the guests... or not enough wedding cake for all the guests... 
  • Thanks everyone. I know I can’t really tell before trying them on but judging my the design of both dresses and what usually suits my body type, I predict the ball gown flattering me the most. We’ll see though.

It’s a wedding, a wedding dress won’t look out of place. The only thing that would make me side eye a dress is if it looks like a very expensive dress but there is a cash bar or not enough chairs or something like that. 
    Yes yes to all of this.

And I love the second dress. 

• edited February 2019
    That is great to hear, thanks everyone. I look forward to dress shopping and just trying on whatever I like without worry.
  • I agree that either dress would be fine, even for a more casual wedding.

My own wedding was pretty casual.  Outside.  Ceremony/reception at my mom/stepdad's large patio.  I wore a long ballgown type wedding dress with a poofy skirt.  The bottom of my dress was similar to the top dress from your post, although my gown didn't fall past my ankles.  I didn't feel like it was too formal for the surroundings at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker