Wedding Woes

Could this week BE any longer?

I was off on Monday even and this feels like the 90th day of the week. 

I did not rage quit yesterday, but I did pack up like half my desk, JIC. The owner was out yesterday and the issue I was worrying about didn't get solved, so we shall see what happens today! 

In completely stupid FWP, I learned yesterday that one of the Stones' backup singers and the woman who OWNS Gimme Shelter "retired" from the Stones a couple years ago after the last tour I saw them on. I know this is ridiculous but I'm kind of upset LOL. I've never NOT seen Lisa Fischer with them. I'm also kind of mad that her tour either already went through here or isn't coming because her band sounds awesome. 

Tonight H and I are going to an Irish place for their V-Day special thing. H knows where we're going but doesn't know it's a 14 course tasting menu, so that will be fun. 
Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Re: Could this week BE any longer?

• It really has been a long week. I didn't sleep well last night, and I'm exhausted. 

No special plans for tonight. Going to the gym after work, and then will just cook and relax. 

Enjoy your dinner tonight SSC! 
  • I had some sort of illness Tuesday night/Wednesday, though it might be influenza because it was sore throat, aches, chills, fever but my fever broke last night and I'm fine today except for a sore throat. Felt so bad putting baby B to bed last night because I was trying not to breathe on him so I didn't give him all the kisses he likes (he's a very passionate kisser LOL so had to stay extra far away)

There's a Vday party at daycare although I"m still a little confused. I think parents are supposed to come for it but I also think it is just a ploy to get the kids out of there earlier. The parking lot is not big enough to old everyone coming at the same time to pickup so this could be interesting. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019
    Sounds very cool, SSC, the tasting.  Enjoy!
    sorry DS couldnt get the kisses he so deserves, kvruns. You can make up for it later!
    good job on the review Mrsconn23. That reminds me I had my self assessment done in November and it’s mid February with no review yet.  Good or bad? Hmm

my eyes hurt.  I’m tired.  I did not want to get out of bed today.  I mean, more so than usual i didn’t.  But I did and rocked my workout.  I wrapped H’s vday gift last night and realized I forgot a card.  I saw his birthday card out from the 5th still on our coffee table so scratched out “birthday” and put in valenetine’s day.  Told him in doubles as a vday card.  Not my fault his birthday and valentines are so close together?  Tonight I’m making my favorite homechef meal, fish tacos (I always get the fish tacos and fish cakes if its an option), and then maybe we’ll see a romantic movie if he’s up to it.  Like The Prodigy.  Or Glass. 

Edit: words

• This week has been so. long. I work today. My coworker texted me last night and told me I’d probably be canceled so I didn’t sleep well. I just hope I don’t get floated to the unit I hate. FI left me a giant Twix bar for valentines. And by giant I mean like almost three feet long. Lol. I got him the third season of The Expanse last night and he immediately started to watch it. 

Feel better @kvruns

I hope everyone has a good day! 

• Enjoy your dinner @ShesSoCold!

@mrsconn23 I'm awwing over DefConn and his valentine's. What a sweet kid.

Not much going on here. Burnt out on work. Emmy got her stitches out last night but we still can't give her a bath for a few days. I'm going to try and get her into the groomer on Saturday and let them deal with it. Unfortunately, an hour after H got her home from the vet, she started itching her ears like crazy until they started to bleed. I'm thinking it's a yeast infection (she's got long floppy ears with lots of hair in there) so I'll try an OTC treatment first in order to avoid another trip to the vet. I'm loving having two dogs but the vet bills over the past three months have been rough.

No plans for Valentine's day. I might get H a card but we agreed no gifts. We're going to out to dinner on Sunday to "celebrate". 
  • DH and I don’t do gifts either. Mostly because I don’t push it. I would normally cook a V-day meal but I decided a clean kitchen was good enough this year. I don’t think DH even realized what day it was until mid- morning.

I am tired and extra cranky today. That is all.
  • That’s so sweet about Defconn @mrsconn23 and enjoy the tasting menu @ShesSoCold! Your Whole Foods plan sounds awesome @short+sassy.

Got all of the v-day baking done- 60 mini red velvet cupcakes (20 for each class party) plus mini banana breads and brownies for the kids’ teachers and the secretaries at my school.  I deserve a freaking medal I didn’t sample any of it.  My only plans for later is the kids start swimming lessons.  I’m so excited 80% knowing they’ll be safer near the water and 20% bc once they’re more independent in the water I won’t have to go in just bc they want to ;)   
  • DH bought the kids cards and chocolates.  I was going to get them gift cards to Lazer Kraze, but you can't buy online and they don't open until 4.  So I thought SKyzone could be a backup.  I can't figure out how to buy the gift cards on-line and they don't open until 4.  SO they are getting chocolates and a card. Woohoo. 

I got DH a bottle of alcohol mixer at William Sonoma.  I didn't even buy the booze to go with it.

6let has futsal tonight so no big dinner plans. 

M2 did get a special Valentine from her little buddy.  It was his football picture with a little note attached.  They are sooooo sweet together. 

In weird family stuff.  DH told me last night that sFIL's step mother died.  My only response was "huh" because I kept racking my brain to try and figure out if knew the step mom was alive, if I've ever met here, should I be sad.  Then DH says he doesn't know if HE's ever met her.  The calling hours are 2-4 SUnday, but MIL and sFIL have tickets to something at 2 so they aren't going.  Okay then.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited February 2019

For anyone interested, I came across a listicle of states with the highest/lowest property taxes.

New Jersey has the highest (1) and Hawaii (50) has the lowest.  For myself, I was happy to see that Louisiana ranked (48) and has some of the lowest property taxes in the country.  I know a number of you live in Illinois.  They were second, only behind NJ for having the highest.

Here's the link if you want to see how your state compares:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/ss-BBSlBgq?ocid=ientp#image=51

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am over the snow and ice.  I am over my insomnia.  I am over the endless piles of dishes that seem to breed when I'm not looking.  I'm over this stupid chest cold that won't go away. 

Harumph. 

• For anyone interested, I came across a listicle of states with the highest/lowest property taxes.

New Jersey has the highest (1) and Hawaii (50) has the lowest.  For myself, I was happy to see that Louisiana ranked (48) and has some of the lowest property taxes in the country.  I know a number of you live in Illinois.  They were second, only behind NJ for having the highest.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/ss-BBSlBgq?ocid=ientp#image=51

I thought NY would be higher than 14!
  • We’re supposed to get the results of 6lets evaluation any day now. It could mean an invitation to national camp. He keeps asking and I keep checking my emails. If you don’t get an invite you don’t get an email at all. So I’ve also been stalking twitter to see if anyone is posting congrats to people. I have a problem. 
  • S+S - NJ, uh, representin'?  This is why H wants out of Jersey.  But all our family is here, so he basically knows its a non-starter subject with me.

SSC - If is Scottish or Irish?  The difference is haggis! LOL!  Either way, enjoy it!!!!

Yesterday I found a nice dining set for sale on Facebook.  They are also delivering it today!  H took off today and I came in late, so we could take a look at it this morning before purchasing it.  After we viewed it, I stopped as Dunkin Donuts on our way home, so we could have a quick Valentine's date!  LOL! 

I got H is nice chocolates already and he will get me flowers.  H said he also got a nice dessert for us to split after DD goes to bed.  We will also exchange cards.  I got DD a card, small chocolate heart and Minnie doll - she will love it.  We are waiting until later to exchange, it will be easiest with DD.  Saturday I will make a fancy dessert and Sunday, I will make us our fancy dinner for after DDs bedtime.

In 9 minutes, they are cutting a cake one of our attorneys brought in!  Yummy yummy!

• For anyone interested, I came across a listicle of states with the highest/lowest property taxes.

It would also be interesting to see how property taxes vs. sales taxes ranked.  B/c yes, LA has low property taxes, but they have high sales tax. Property tax only hits limited people, while sales tax hits everyone.  So, if the government needs X money and are putting it on the banks of the non property owners (who tend to be lowers income and spend more often and more of their paychecks on basic necessities) than property owners, that's not exactly an equal distribution of a tax burden.
  • VarunaTT said:

For anyone interested, I came across a listicle of states with the highest/lowest property taxes.

It would also be interesting to see how property taxes vs. sales taxes ranked.  B/c yes, LA has low property taxes, but they have high sales tax. Property tax only hits limited people, while sales tax hits everyone.  So, if the government needs X money and are putting it on the banks of the non property owners (who tend to be lowers income and spend more often and more of their paychecks on basic necessities) than property owners, that's not exactly an equal distribution of a tax burden.
    Exactly. I've done some research on this kind of thing and the individual tax lists, compared to the overall tax burden list, are quite different. Which I found pretty interesting. Also stuff like IL has toll roads, which totally blow and everyone complains about. But our traffic tickets are like a third of what Wisconsin's are, so it probably almost evens out.

Also, one of like 4,578 reasons I want TF out of IL. I cannot afford our politicians' lifestyles. I'm paying nearly $600 a month in property taxes for my 3 bed/2.5 bath starter home. I could damn near afford a mcmansion in almost any other state.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

Me too.  Median home price and median household income seemed low too.
  • eileenrob said:

Me three. The property taxes even in my part of the state are ridiculous. My coworker pays $9000 a year for a house that's less than $200k.
  • VarunaTT said:

Exactly. I've done some research on this kind of thing and the individual tax lists, compared to the overall tax burden list, are quite different. Which I found pretty interesting. Also stuff like IL has toll roads, which totally blow and everyone complains about. But our traffic tickets are like a third of what Wisconsin's are, so it probably almost evens out.

Also, one of like 4,578 reasons I want TF out of IL. I cannot afford our politicians' lifestyles. I'm paying nearly $600 a month in property taxes for my 3 bed/2.5 bath starter home. I could damn near afford a mcmansion in almost any other state.
    So much yes.  IL is a shitshow.  I love my job and my neighborhood and whatever, but it kills me how expensive it is to own anything here. 

• eileenrob said:

Me three. The property taxes even in my part of the state are ridiculous. My coworker pays $9000 a year for a house that's less than $200k.
    Wow that’s even higher than where I am! We’re around $6000 for a $200,000 house. 
  • 6fsn said:
    We’re supposed to get the results of 6lets evaluation any day now. It could mean an invitation to national camp. He keeps asking and I keep checking my emails. If you don’t get an invite you don’t get an email at all. So I’ve also been stalking twitter to see if anyone is posting congrats to people. I have a problem. 
    Is this the camp you said was expensive and you wouldn't send him or was that for something else? Or another kid...
  • kvruns said:
    6fsn said:
    We’re supposed to get the results of 6lets evaluation any day now. It could mean an invitation to national camp. He keeps asking and I keep checking my emails. If you don’t get an invite you don’t get an email at all. So I’ve also been stalking twitter to see if anyone is posting congrats to people. I have a problem. 
    Is this the camp you said was expensive and you wouldn't send him or was that for something else? Or another kid...
    That was Argentina but the same sport.  This would “just” be Kansas and I have no idea the cost. I don’t think he’ll make it but I’m awfully curious about any feedback. 

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited February 2019
    VarunaTT said:

That's a good point.  It's often, though not always, one or the other.  My H is originally from OR, where they have no sales tax.  But their property taxes are high.

In Louisiana, Orleans or Jefferson Parish (next to each other) have sales tax rates of 9.2% and 9.45%, respectively.  And that is even a relatively recent decrease!  The state's tax was temporarily raised for either one or two years (forget which) and, at that point in time, the sales tax in NOLA was 10.5%.  If I'm remembering correctly, that was a 3-way tie with two other cities for having the highest sales tax in the nation.

It's a huge relief for me that my property taxes aren't too bad.  Considering the cost of property insurance in Southern LA is some of the highest in the country because of our hurricane threat.  Though really just thankful that at least the property taxes are a lot lower than average.  It wouldn't have surprised me to have ranked on the worst ends for both categories, lol.  I would never have bought real estate in New Orleans, maybe not even my own house, if the property taxes had been a bunch higher because the insurance is already eye-popping.

I suspect that some of what saves us on the property taxes is we have a state-wide $75K Homestead Exemption on property taxes.  I'm sure some states have similar programs, but don't know if they are as good/bad/equal to it.  It basically subtracts $75K off the value of a person's personal home for how taxes are calculated.  So if someone's home is valued at $60K, they don't pay any property taxes on it.  If someone's home is valued at $200K, their property taxes are calculated as if the house is valued at $125K.  (Does not apply to non-owner occupied properties or buildings with 5 units or more). 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Eh, our taxes are high but our schools blow Louisiana’s completely out of the water. Totally worth it to me. 
  • eileenrob said:
    Wow that’s even higher than where I am! We’re around $6000 for a $200,000 house. 

Since we're sharing!  My personal duplex, which I have one of those Homestead Exemptions on, is worth around $300K.  Though, right now, the assessor's office has it around $160K.  With $75K deducted with my HE, that puts it's taxed value at $85K.  I pay about $650/year in property taxes.  I am really, really not looking forward to the next time they re-evaluate my neighborhood.  They do it every 4 years, which I think was in 2017 for me.  But, I don't know, no increase.

But before you get jealous, let me tell you about the property insurance, lol.

I have the house insured for $240K and $50K contents.  $3800/year for my property insurance.  PLUS $700/year for my flood insurance.  And I'm even in a no-flood zone.  One caveat, FEMA tacks on an additional $250 flat fee, just because it is a multi, smh.  Even though it's my own house.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Eh, our taxes are high but our schools blow Louisiana’s completely out of the water. Totally worth it to me. 

Agreed!  I would gladly trade not being at the bad end of almost every negative list for higher property taxes.  Though with a former mayor and a former Congressman both in prison on bribery charges, nobody here trusts that our state and city revenues will go to where they are supposed to go anyway.

I would say a former governor also, but former Gov. Edwards was released a few years ago.

Governmentally, it's a super dysfunctional place and I take my wins where I can get them, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dad is home and well...he's being Dad. I've known for awhile that I was nearing the end of my time with him.  I'll be very lucky to get 2-3 more years with him.  He's been failing, physically and mentally for some time...just getting old.  But with this fall and his attitude about it, I forsee the decline coming faster now.  But he's lived his life fully, I love him fiercely, and I'll take what I can get.

K's mom, I'm just still so pissed.  I have never had a 16 hour stay in the ER for anyone at any time.  Basically we got her there at 8:00 pm on Monday (we picked her up at tap class).  She was bent in half, crying and whimpering at the pain.  She ranked it 8/10.  They get her check in finalized and do a urine sample.  And then we wait.  And wait.  And wait.  At midnight, I said I had to go b/c of work the next day.  K came home with me to grab Mama K's car and go home.  Dad K was still there.  At some point, there was bloodwork done.  On Wednesday, at 8 am, they finally get taken back to a room and a CT is ordered.  By this point, K is on their way back to the hospital, wearing the competing hospital's nurse's jacket.  :smiley:  Let me just say, the meeting with the ER doctor did not go well.  Basically, nothing on the UA, the CT, or the CBC, so ER doc supposedly emailed her PCP to order an MRI b/c he thought it was "nerve pain b/c you started working out again."  BTW, K's mother is like...5'3" and maybe 105 lbs sopping wet.  She is not out of shape either.  The doc picked up on this b/c she was at a tap dance class she and her friends are taking together, for fun.  Then, discharge took forever.  K's dad finally interrupted the nurses at their station to politely say, "My wife has been here 16 hours now.  We're leaving.  Do you have paperwork we need to sign or not?"  They were at our place at 12:30, getting the keys to take Mama K's vehicle home.

We have two competing hospital systems here.  I belong to the other one, which has a 24 hour urgent care and I've never had a wait like that in the ER, even in the height of flu season.  I've urged Mama K to write a letter of complaint, but I doubt she does.  

Other than that, i need this damn dry cough to go away.  I took yesterday off b/c I'm in a lot of pain in my upper chest, ribs, abs, and throat, just from coughing.