Attire & Accessories Forum

Gift Ideas

My fiance and I just started deciding on gifts we want to give the bridal party.

The bridesmaids/groomswoman are getting wine glasses with their names, role, and our wedding date engraved. https://www.etsy.com/listing/156224891/4-personalized-bridesmaid-gifts-wine

The groomsmen/bridesman are getting baseball bat mugs with their names, role and our wedding date engraved. 
https://www.lumberlend.com/products/custom-mug?variant=2459648131101&utm_campaign=gs-2018-11-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7q7gQOXz-5-ZwvSwfJDKnCU7Qq80lX44cnHT0cPsTP1NrCGfyY4fseBoCOB0QAvD_BwE

Although bridesman is on my side, he does not drink alcohol so he would like the baseball bat mug better and although the groomswoman is on my fiance's side, she does not like baseball, but loves wine so she would like the wine glass better. 

I believe we are going to get a baseball bat mug for my fiance's nephew who is an usher, but we have not decided on a gift for the ring bearer yet. 

For the flower girls, I was thinking sparkly pillows with their name and our wedding date on it. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/632474474/flower-girl-mermaid-sequin-pillow?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_christmas_Home_and_Living&utm_custom1=e987a725-baff-4d93-aaf8-fbe9ab6d7708&utm_content=go_1097955555_54558577802_256645734144_pla-303628061699_c__632474474&gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qwKJ1FhDYGKzuoYsjbWy_O0u2FzQW--KNQtBrt4tFwBEFFss8wWnpBoCZzMQAvD_BwE

I would also like to get robes for the bridesmaids, groomswoman, and my mother. I don't believe my MIL is getting ready with us. If she decides to, then I will get her one as well. I am having difficulty deciding if I should get ones that are silk or cotton. I also don't know how my mom would feel wearing a robe. I found these cute pajamas I was thinking she might like better. 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/618359538/unisex-kidsadult-christmas-gift?ref=related-4 

I also found these cute bags that I could put everything in for each girl. https://www.etsy.com/listing/578959470/bridesmaid-tote-bags-maid-of-honor-tote?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bridesmaid+tote+bag&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&ep_click=1&pro=1&col=1

Would you guys recommend the silk or cotton robes? Also, do you think I should get my mother a robe or the pajamas? I would like her to feel included? What do you think of the other gift ideas? Do you have suggestions for a gift for the ring bearer? He will have just turned three. 

Re: Gift Ideas

• My fiance and I just started deciding on gifts we want to give the bridal party.

The bridesmaids/groomswoman are getting wine glasses with their names, role, and our wedding date engraved. https://www.etsy.com/listing/156224891/4-personalized-bridesmaid-gifts-wine

The groomsmen/bridesman are getting baseball bat mugs with their names, role and our wedding date engraved. 
    https://www.lumberlend.com/products/custom-mug?variant=2459648131101&utm_campaign=gs-2018-11-19&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7q7gQOXz-5-ZwvSwfJDKnCU7Qq80lX44cnHT0cPsTP1NrCGfyY4fseBoCOB0QAvD_BwE

Although bridesman is on my side, he does not drink alcohol so he would like the baseball bat mug better and although the groomswoman is on my fiance's side, she does not like baseball, but loves wine so she would like the wine glass better. 

I believe we are going to get a baseball bat mug for my fiance's nephew who is an usher, but we have not decided on a gift for the ring bearer yet. 

For the flower girls, I was thinking sparkly pillows with their name and our wedding date on it. 
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/632474474/flower-girl-mermaid-sequin-pillow?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_christmas_Home_and_Living&utm_custom1=e987a725-baff-4d93-aaf8-fbe9ab6d7708&utm_content=go_1097955555_54558577802_256645734144_pla-303628061699_c__632474474&gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qwKJ1FhDYGKzuoYsjbWy_O0u2FzQW--KNQtBrt4tFwBEFFss8wWnpBoCZzMQAvD_BwE

I would also like to get robes for the bridesmaids, groomswoman, and my mother. I don't believe my MIL is getting ready with us. If she decides to, then I will get her one as well. I am having difficulty deciding if I should get ones that are silk or cotton. I also don't know how my mom would feel wearing a robe. I found these cute pajamas I was thinking she might like better. 
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/618359538/unisex-kidsadult-christmas-gift?ref=related-4 

I also found these cute bags that I could put everything in for each girl. https://www.etsy.com/listing/578959470/bridesmaid-tote-bags-maid-of-honor-tote?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bridesmaid+tote+bag&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&ep_click=1&pro=1&col=1

Would you guys recommend the silk or cotton robes? Also, do you think I should get my mother a robe or the pajamas? I would like her to feel included? What do you think of the other gift ideas? Do you have suggestions for a gift for the ring bearer? He will have just turned three. 
    To be honest, none of these are very good gifts. A gift should be thoughtful and about the person. A wine glass with your wedding details is just junk. The robe is a prop for (uncomfortable) wedding photos. It has absolutely nothing to do with them. Their gifts shouldn't match or all be the same. 

What you should do is scrap all of this junk, and shop for each individual person like you would for their birthday. Friend who loves the beach? Get a new beach bag, towel and flip flops. Friend who likes to hike? Guide book for a nearby national park. Friend who loves wine? A bottle of her favorite and a wine glass with something she loves (not your wedding) on it. 

Remember, a gift is about the recipient, not the giver. 
  • Why do you think people want gifts with your wedding information on it?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited February 2019
    Love how you never actually answered my question about silk or cotton robes. The robes are not a gift. They are just something they could wear to get their hair and makeup done. I was going to include things in the bags unique to each girl. For instance, two of them love coffee so a coffee mug or gift card to either Dunkin or Starbucks. I just wanted more of an opinion on the robes. I would also fill each wine glass with each girls favor candy. 
  • Love how you never actually answered my question about silk or cotton robes. The robes are not a gift. They are just something they could wear to get their hair and makeup done. I was going to include things in the bags unique to each girl. For instance, two of them love coffee so a coffee mug or gift card to either Dunkin or Starbucks. I just wanted more of an opinion on the robes. I would also fill each wine glass with each girls favor candy. 
    ROBES ARE BAD.

You specifically asked "What do you think of the other gift ideas?"

• Image result for sigh gif

Here we go again..
    Wait, this can't be the same person, again?

I always fall for the worst trolls. 

• Remember, a gift is about the recipient, not the giver. 
    This is my soapbox forever.

Why even give a gift if it's not something the recipient cares to have? If the reason is, "Well I'll like it," then I think it's pretty clear that you've bought a gift for yourself.

To take just one example - I've never enjoyed a bridesmaid robe, and I certainly didn't enjoy having my picture taken in a robe. Even if it turned out to be a very nice robe (they never are), there are other things I would enjoy far more. My friend knows about my interests and could have gotten me those things. Individual gifts for individual people with individual interests would be a far better thank you gesture, and one that your friends will love you far more for.
  • Love how you never actually answered my question about silk or cotton robes. The robes are not a gift. They are just something they could wear to get their hair and makeup done. I was going to include things in the bags unique to each girl. For instance, two of them love coffee so a coffee mug or gift card to either Dunkin or Starbucks. I just wanted more of an opinion on the robes. I would also fill each wine glass with each girls favor candy. 
    ROBES ARE BAD.

You specifically asked "What do you think of the other gift ideas?"
    I'll amend to say "a waste of money." They have clothes that they can wear to get ready and you know it. The only reason to get these is for your pictures, and not everyone wants their picture taken in a state of undress.

You can get a larger coffee gift card if you take the "robe budget" and put it towards something decent.
    Robes are always awful. Cotton, silk, fleece, all a bad idea for this type of thing. I knew few people who want to be professionally photographed in pajamas.

All of the gift you listed are like weird souvenirs of your wedding that no one wants. This isn't a trip to Wisconsin Dells. Buy these people gifts that they want and shop for them like it's their birthday or Christmas and forget your wedding. 

Happy? Anything else I can do for you?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited February 2019
    You really should be shopping for these gifts as if you're shopping for their birthdays. I've been in a lot of weddings, and any of the gifts I've received like this, I have never used. And eventually ended up tossing out. If someone would really like a mug, great. Get it for them. But a lot of this feels thoughtless, you know? 

Skip the robes. Another item that will never be worn again, and I'm assuming you just want for pictures. IMO, I don't want to wear a robe getting ready with people around, and I certainly don't want to pose for pictures in a robe. I wear a robe in my house, and that's it. 
  • Also, being a flower girl is not some life-changing experience that they need to commemorate with a throw pillow with the details of the time that someone asked them to put on a fancy dress and walk down an aisle.

While "keepsake" gifts are always iffy with kids (is it really going to be meaningful for them later?) I guarantee this pillow will not be a treasure to them right now, or when they are 15, or as adults.

What they might remember of you and your "wedding experience" is if you cared about them enough to get them a thank you gift that they like.

• Image result for sigh gif

Here we go again..
    Wait, this can't be the same person, again?

I always fall for the worst trolls. 
    Of course it's her. She likes to post about all hot button issues. I knew robes had to be coming soon! 
  • Wow you guys are really opinionated about robes when I know plenty of people who have gotten robes for their bridesmaids. 
  • Wow you guys are really opinionated about robes when I know plenty of people who have gotten robes for their bridesmaids. 
    Just because it's a trend doesn't make it a good idea.
    Do you know anyone who has enjoyed receiving them?
    The boldest is your best idea.  

I clicked through all of your links and I will say that the flower girl pillows are cute- my daughters are 3 and 4 and they’d like those, but I’d pick a font that they could read and see their name and be excited (print not script).  The “flower girl” and the wedding date i’d scratch but little kids do like seeing their name.  For your 3-yr-Old ring bearer I’d ask his parents what he likes.  I also have a 3yo son and he’d be thrilled with an extension set for his wooden train tracks, some construction vehicles, or dinosaur figurines.

Dont personalize anything for the adults- I always donate that stuff and when it says “Eileen, bridesmaid” it’s harder to get my church or the shelter my school works with to take stuff.  All of the links for the adults seem like a waste of money.  It’s so much better to go with individual instead of matchy-matchy gifts.

Ive been in a number of weddings and thankfully only once was forced into wearing a robe for photos.  I much prefer to wear my own stuff.  But if you’re hellbent on the robes, I’d go with cotton over silk.  Please don’t require your BP to wear them though. 
  • MOB and MOG here. I would hate pajamas or robes! I agree you should get gifts individually for your wedding party. For ring bearer and/or flower girl how about a book or toy that they would like? When I was married I gave our ring bearer a book because he loved books. I gave our flower girl a silver locket - she loved it. 
  • MOB and MOG here. I would hate pajamas or robes! I agree you should get gifts individually for your wedding party. For ring bearer and/or flower girl how about a book or toy that they would like? When I was married I gave our ring bearer a book because he loved books. I gave our flower girl a silver locket - she loved it. 
     I know there's no way in hell my mom or MIL would wear a robe or pajamas to get ready with everyone. 

We all got ready together the morning of. I didn't try to dictate to anyone what they should wear while getting ready. I think maybe we all ended up wearing leggings? 

Just let people wear what they want. 
  • Agree with everyone else, Robes suck.  The one wedding I've been in that made us do matchy getting ready stuff they got us long/oversized button down chambray shirts.  It was stupid and I didn't wear mine for most of the morning and only put it on when we had to take pictures.  I peeled off the iron-on fake embroidered initial on the front and actually wear the shirt quite often.  If you insist on the matching crap, maybe something like that (sans initials).
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2019
    Ok, I’ll Bite. So, OP, I honestly love robes. I love lounging around in a nice kimono with my tea, being bougie. But I would never do it on those cheap polyester satin or waffle cotton robes. I would love a friend to buy me a beautiful robe- it’s very me- but the ones I like are nice fabrics and therefore quite pricey. They are not Etsy bridesmaids robes. And if you have hundreds to spend on gifts, you should start over.

And how many single wine glasses do you have in your house with someone else’s wedding date? When are you supposed to use that?! When you run out of jam jars to serve drinks in at a uni party?

• edited February 2019
    Ok, I’ll Bite. So, OP, I honestly love robes. I love lounging around in a nice kimono with my tea, being bougie. But I would never do it on those cheap polyester satin or waffle cotton robes. I would love a friend to buy me a beautiful robe- it’s very me- but the ones I like are nice fabrics and therefore quite pricey. They are not Etsy bridesmaids robes. And if you have hundreds to spend on gifts, you should start over.

And how many single wine glasses do you have in your house with someone else’s wedding date? When are you supposed to use that?! When you run out of jam jars to serve drinks in at a uni party?

I know our one friend did bathrobes with the girl's names on them. 

As for the baseball bat mugs and wine glasses, we were going to be something special that they used at the wedding. I have 3 wine glasses with the wedding date and name of one couple. We had a 4th one and it broke. I also have 2 stemless wine glasses with another couple's name and wedding date. I don't drink, but use the 3 wine glasses for sparking grape juice and my fiance and I both use the 2 stemless wine glasses all the time for water or whatever we are drinking.  
  • LOVE that you didn't answer my questions.

You're the only person I've ever heard who has kept and used one rando glass from a wedding. 

If you're going to give your wedding party souvenir t-shirts from that weekend they spent at the Jersey shore I mean your wedding, g'head. Just know that it's highly likely that you're wasting your money on crap they don't want. 
    edited February 2019

I know our one friend did bathrobes with the girl's names on them. 

As for the baseball bat mugs and wine glasses, we were going to be something special that they used at the wedding. I have 3 wine glasses with the wedding date and name of one couple. We had a 4th one and it broke. I also have 2 stemless wine glasses with another couple's name and wedding date. I don't drink, but use the 3 wine glasses for sparking grape juice and my fiance and I both use the 2 stemless wine glasses all the time for water or whatever we are drinking.  
    Yes, but that is rubbish quality robes. Just because you know someone who did it, doesn’t make it a good idea. They are made out of cheap fabrics that are just gross and itchy. I would throw it in the trash afterwards. For perspective-I’m a total robe person, and I don’t like your robe idea.

these personalised wine glasses and robes cannot be that cheap. For that price, buy them gifts like you would their birthdays. Even if it’s 20-3 per person, that can buy nice individual gifts.

Sorry, but your gifts are tacky AF. I would be angry after all I do for the bride, the only individual thought she put into my thank you was my favourite candy! Baseball mugs are what you would get a 7 year old.

Dont waste your money. 
  • edited February 2019
    Since everyone is so against everything I posted name me some better ideas. What did you guys get your bridesmaids since my ideas are apparently not good enough for you guys. Honestly I think it seems like a lot of you are stuck up. 
  • Can't wait for OP to find these at her local thrift store and get pissy that these people don't appreciate their tacky tchotchkes that she's trying to pass off as a "gift".

Personalized mugs/glasses are such a selfish idea. No one wants a cup with your wedding details on it. No one wants anything with your wedding date on it, it only goes to show how little you know about your friends and their likes, and how much you love Pinterest.

The matching robes trend needs to die already, it's so overdone and gross. Most people don't like robes, and the ones that do want ones that look nothing like the shitty silk garbage ones that fall open if you look at them wrong. With stupid wedding "titles" on them. You're buying something that people will just throw in the trash as soon as you're done getting ready, and what's the point? Why do you need pictures of your friends and family half-dressed? Are you really going to hang up a picture of your semi-naked mother in a cheap robe?

Just because you have friends who also spend too much time on Pinterest and Instagram looking at wedding hashtags doesn't mean you need to follow suit. And I use all the shitty personalized cups and shot glasses I get at events, doesn't mean I think they're good gifts. They're not, they're garbage that only serve to make the giver feel special.

Shop for your bridal parties like it's their birthday. Show them exactly how much you appreciate them by getting them a thoughtful gift (that is UNRELATED TO YOUR WEDDING), because right now all your gifts show is that you really think your wedding is super important and you're doing your bridal party a favor by allowing them to be a part of your special day. You chose these people as an honor to them, not the other way around. Show it.

• edited February 2019
    Since everyone is so against everything I posted name me some better ideas. What did you guys get your bridesmaids since my ideas are apparently not good enough for you guys. Honestly I think it seems like a lot of you are stuck up. 
    I got my MOH a hockey jersey she wanted. 

You're not looking at this correctly. We don't know your friends and family and therefore cannot recommend gifts for them. Pretend it's their birthday. Take your wedding out of it and just buy them things they want. 

ETA - But I wouldn't start buying anything soon. You never know how many more falling outs you're going to have, and another negative of the personalized crap is that you can't return it. 
  • I can only imagine what you guys would think of the gift ideas for my mother and what my fiance is giving his mother. 

My fiance is giving his mother a framed photo of from our engagement photos of us in the park we got engaged at. The park is special to my MIL because she worked there as a park ranger for 20+ years. She also planted a beautiful tree in honor of her father after he passed away and the photo is both of us leaning against either side of the tree holding hands. My fiance did several Eagle projects there and his mother loves that park. 

I am thinking of doing a collage for my mother or a video montage of me and my siblings growing up set to Taylor Swift's song Best Day. My mother and I love Taylor Swift and have gone to multiple concerts. She is always telling me how that song reminds her of me so I think she would love it. 

edited February 2019
    I got my 3 bridesmaids gifts that matched their personalities:

-  tickets to a play she loved for my arty friend
    -  a necklace with her favourite stone to my fashionista friend
    -  a nice leather travel wallet to my friend who is always on business trips.

It doesn’t have to be expensive, but it does have to be meaningful. What does a single glass with your name on it say about your friendship with this woman? Nice letters and individual framed photos of you two is infinitely nicer than souvenir tat.

No one would bat an eyelid for giving your mum a framed photo- that is a nice, personalised gift that is meaningful. If you were hosting Christmas, would you give everyone the same mug with your name on it and cal it a day? No, because that’s lazy. You would shop for everyone individually. Your gifts don’t have to be expensive, but they do have to express thought and gratitude.
  • I got my bridesmaids gift cards to stores they shop at. That's it. (They did not have to pay for their dresses, and I know at least two of three have worn theirs again, but that's not a gift.)

Of the weddings I've been in, at one, I did not get a gift, which is fine. At the second, I got a bracelet as did the rest of the bridesmaids, but these were individualized according to our tastes, and at least two of four would not have gone with the bridesmaid dresses. I did not wear mine to the wedding, and I now wear it all the time. Several times a month, and in fact, a couple of the beads are now chipping because I wear it so much. At the third wedding, I received a necklace that matched everyone else and the bridesmaid dresses and was intended to be worn to the wedding. I wore it for the wedding, I have not touched it since, and it sits with the other random jewelry I never wear but haven't gotten around to getting rid of. 
  • If OP doesn't have reading comprehension problems, she's an obvious troll.

Not sure what to do about it. I'm becoming a knot atheist because I'm pretty sure we no longer have a KG.