Wedding Woes
Options

Could this week BE any longer?

2»

Re: Could this week BE any longer?

• Options
    I’m honestly surprised where CA falls on that list. However our median home price is fucking ridiculous. 

• Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Dad is home and well...he's being Dad. I've known for awhile that I was nearing the end of my time with him.  I'll be very lucky to get 2-3 more years with him.  He's been failing, physically and mentally for some time...just getting old.  But with this fall and his attitude about it, I forsee the decline coming faster now.  But he's lived his life fully, I love him fiercely, and I'll take what I can get.

K's mom, I'm just still so pissed.  I have never had a 16 hour stay in the ER for anyone at any time.  Basically we got her there at 8:00 pm on Monday (we picked her up at tap class).  She was bent in half, crying and whimpering at the pain.  She ranked it 8/10.  They get her check in finalized and do a urine sample.  And then we wait.  And wait.  And wait.  At midnight, I said I had to go b/c of work the next day.  K came home with me to grab Mama K's car and go home.  Dad K was still there.  At some point, there was bloodwork done.  On Wednesday, at 8 am, they finally get taken back to a room and a CT is ordered.  By this point, K is on their way back to the hospital, wearing the competing hospital's nurse's jacket.  :smiley:  Let me just say, the meeting with the ER doctor did not go well.  Basically, nothing on the UA, the CT, or the CBC, so ER doc supposedly emailed her PCP to order an MRI b/c he thought it was "nerve pain b/c you started working out again."  BTW, K's mother is like...5'3" and maybe 105 lbs sopping wet.  She is not out of shape either.  The doc picked up on this b/c she was at a tap dance class she and her friends are taking together, for fun.  Then, discharge took forever.  K's dad finally interrupted the nurses at their station to politely say, "My wife has been here 16 hours now.  We're leaving.  Do you have paperwork we need to sign or not?"  They were at our place at 12:30, getting the keys to take Mama K's vehicle home.

We have two competing hospital systems here.  I belong to the other one, which has a 24 hour urgent care and I've never had a wait like that in the ER, even in the height of flu season.  I've urged Mama K to write a letter of complaint, but I doubt she does.  

Other than that, i need this damn dry cough to go away.  I took yesterday off b/c I'm in a lot of pain in my upper chest, ribs, abs, and throat, just from coughing.
    My mom waited 36 hours. It sucks but it’s a great and crowded hospital and I truly believe they did their best. 
  • Options
    Oh, no, Varuna. I'm so sorry about your dad. You have a remarkably healthy outlook but I'm sure it's still very hard and will continue to be. 

I'd be mad about K's mom, too. I'm sorry. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

levioosa said:
    I’m honestly surprised where CA falls on that list. However our median home price is fucking ridiculous. 

I want to say it was somewhere in the middle, lower property tax end.  But I know some counties have sales tax that is nothing to sneeze at also.

The article did point out that in states with higher dollar real estate prices, even a lower % property tax can mean big bucks for municipalities.  I assumed that was the goodness that HI had going for it, since they had the lowest rates.

For fun, I just looked up the sales tax rates in HI.  The state sales tax portion is 4%.  Municipalities can add another 1/2 percent.  But that's it!  The state caps the total sales tax that can be charged at 4.5%.  Interesting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VarunaTT said:
    Dad is home and well...he's being Dad. I've known for awhile that I was nearing the end of my time with him.  I'll be very lucky to get 2-3 more years with him.  He's been failing, physically and mentally for some time...just getting old.  But with this fall and his attitude about it, I forsee the decline coming faster now.  But he's lived his life fully, I love him fiercely, and I'll take what I can get.

K's mom, I'm just still so pissed.  I have never had a 16 hour stay in the ER for anyone at any time.  Basically we got her there at 8:00 pm on Monday (we picked her up at tap class).  She was bent in half, crying and whimpering at the pain.  She ranked it 8/10.  They get her check in finalized and do a urine sample.  And then we wait.  And wait.  And wait.  At midnight, I said I had to go b/c of work the next day.  K came home with me to grab Mama K's car and go home.  Dad K was still there.  At some point, there was bloodwork done.  On Wednesday, at 8 am, they finally get taken back to a room and a CT is ordered.  By this point, K is on their way back to the hospital, wearing the competing hospital's nurse's jacket.  :smiley:  Let me just say, the meeting with the ER doctor did not go well.  Basically, nothing on the UA, the CT, or the CBC, so ER doc supposedly emailed her PCP to order an MRI b/c he thought it was "nerve pain b/c you started working out again."  BTW, K's mother is like...5'3" and maybe 105 lbs sopping wet.  She is not out of shape either.  The doc picked up on this b/c she was at a tap dance class she and her friends are taking together, for fun.  Then, discharge took forever.  K's dad finally interrupted the nurses at their station to politely say, "My wife has been here 16 hours now.  We're leaving.  Do you have paperwork we need to sign or not?"  They were at our place at 12:30, getting the keys to take Mama K's vehicle home.

We have two competing hospital systems here.  I belong to the other one, which has a 24 hour urgent care and I've never had a wait like that in the ER, even in the height of flu season.  I've urged Mama K to write a letter of complaint, but I doubt she does.  

Other than that, i need this damn dry cough to go away.  I took yesterday off b/c I'm in a lot of pain in my upper chest, ribs, abs, and throat, just from coughing.
    My mom waited 36 hours. It sucks but it’s a great and crowded hospital and I truly believe they did their best. 
    I think I would've been more okay if we'd just had a better resolution.  K was pissed b/c the ER doctor didn't introduce themselves, Mama K had to hit the call button and wait for 20 minutes for a reply, then waited another 20 before taking herself to the bathroom and well....K turned off some of the machines b/c apparently the BP cuff was on wrong, creating a wrong reading, creating an alarm, and no one was coming to the alarm and K was tired of listening to it.  Nurses are usually the worst damn patients, but in this K, I thought K was pretty justified.

I only had to deal personally with this hospital system once and I wasn't satisfied, but they probably can't make me happy.  It's Catholic based and I've personally experienced their abhorrence of anyone not Catholic (especially openly atheist and queer), so I don't like them.  But I don't think K's mom has ever had any issues like this before.
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your experience this weekend , V.  Definitely encourage her to write a letter. I’ve watched my brother answer letters like this and he definitely takes them seriously- well the ones that list exactly what happens, how long things take, issues not addressed, bad bedside manners etc. he said he also gets letters from people that didn’t like the wall color or the food. 
  • Options
    Been a super busy dad but hope you all had good ones! The good things: We did Valentines Dinner last night and it was super delicious. H got me a bonsai tree to try and keep alive. Although my bamboo from last year is still going strong. 

Bad things: I just got a massive flat tire on my way home and I 1) don’t know how to change a flat (don’t judge me) and 2) didn’t renew our AAA so I’m waiting for H to come and change it. Happy Valentines Day to us!

• Options
    Sorry about K’s mother’s experience @VarunaTT it sounds awful.
    Why’d I think you were in NY @STARMOON44? I agree the I accept the taxes since they = a stellar school district.
    Ugghhh sorry @charlotte989875 :# I’m in the don’t-know-how-to-change-a-flat club too..
  • Options
    I can't change flats either @charlotte989875. That really sucks. I hope it doesn't take too long or cost too much to fix - especially on Valentine's Day.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Jen4948 said:
    I can't change flats either @charlotte989875. That really sucks. I hope it doesn't take too long or cost too much to fix - especially on Valentine's Day.
    We couldn’t fix it 😕. Apparently my car has a known problem of the lug nuts not coming off without breaking them. So my car is staying where it is until the morning. We did have a nice trip to autozone together. 
  • Options
    eileenrob said:
    Sorry about K’s mother’s experience @VarunaTT it sounds awful.
    Why’d I think you were in NY @STARMOON44? I agree the I accept the taxes since they = a stellar school district.
    Ugghhh sorry @charlotte989875 :# I’m in the don’t-know-how-to-change-a-flat club too..
    IM casual about the distinction since I’m right on the border :)
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    We couldn’t fix it 😕. Apparently my car has a known problem of the lug nuts not coming off without breaking them. So my car is staying where it is until the morning. We did have a nice trip to autozone together. 

So frustrating!  I hope you can get that taken care of as smoothly as possible this morning.

I knew how to change a flat tire many, many years ago.  It was one of my parents requirements for letting me drive, lol.  But I've never done it "on the road" and I learned too long ago to feel comfortable with it anymore.  It's so much easier to call roadside assistance anyway.  Though I realize that wasn't an option for you this time around (eek!).

I can't even fit a spare tire in the tiny trunk of my MINI Cooper, lol.  It's about half the size of a passenger car trunk.  But I do have run-flat tires on the car because of that.  I recommend them.  Those kind of tires used to be ridiculously expensive but, nowadays, they're not much more than other tires.   The last time I got new tires for the MINI, it was only $20 more per tire for a run-flat.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I can't even open my stupid hood. My dad would be disappointed that I can't change a tire, but I feel like that's a "dad" thing and he never bothered to teach me. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I can't even open my stupid hood. My dad would be disappointed that I can't change a tire, but I feel like that's a "dad" thing and he never bothered to teach me. 

I needed to open the hood for my MINI a few months ago.  I've seen my H and tow truck drivers always have trouble with it, so I was worried.  I couldn't figure out how to open it for life of me!  Turns out, the latch is in a weird spot.  It's over to one side instead of being in the middle.

But before I figured that out, I looked in my users manual.  Couldn't find a reference to a hood anywhere!  I KNEW it had to be there, WTH?  I resorted to flipping the pages one by one to find it.

And do you know why I couldn't find a reference to the hood?  Because they were freaking calling it a bonnet, smh.  Argh!  I double checked to make sure my steering wheel was on the left side, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @short+sassy I think the minis have spares in the trunk? I honestly can’t remember any more. I had runflats so it wasn’t really an issue. 

• Options
    S+S do they also call the trunk the boot? 
  • Options

@levioosa, the weird thing is, there is a spot for a jack, but not for a spare tire.  At least on mine.  I also bought mine used.  Maybe there is a crafty place for the spare tire when it comes from the factory, though I'm not seeing it. 

@kvruns, I never thought to look.  But now I'm curious also.  I'll check the manual and get back to you, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

VarunaTT said:

For anyone interested, I came across a listicle of states with the highest/lowest property taxes.

New Jersey has the highest (1) and Hawaii (50) has the lowest.  For myself, I was happy to see that Louisiana ranked (48) and has some of the lowest property taxes in the country.  I know a number of you live in Illinois.  They were second, only behind NJ for having the highest.

Here's the link if you want to see how your state compares:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/taxes/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/ss-BBSlBgq?ocid=ientp#image=51

It would also be interesting to see how property taxes vs. sales taxes ranked.  B/c yes, LA has low property taxes, but they have high sales tax. Property tax only hits limited people, while sales tax hits everyone.  So, if the government needs X money and are putting it on the banks of the non property owners (who tend to be lowers income and spend more often and more of their paychecks on basic necessities) than property owners, that's not exactly an equal distribution of a tax burden.
    Exactly. I've done some research on this kind of thing and the individual tax lists, compared to the overall tax burden list, are quite different. Which I found pretty interesting. Also stuff like IL has toll roads, which totally blow and everyone complains about. But our traffic tickets are like a third of what Wisconsin's are, so it probably almost evens out.

Also, one of like 4,578 reasons I want TF out of IL. I cannot afford our politicians' lifestyles. I'm paying nearly $600 a month in property taxes for my 3 bed/2.5 bath starter home. I could damn near afford a mcmansion in almost any other state.
    So much yes.  IL is a shitshow.  I love my job and my neighborhood and whatever, but it kills me how expensive it is to own here.