Attire & Accessories Forum

Gift Ideas

2»

Re: Gift Ideas

• Since everyone is so against everything I posted name me some better ideas. What did you guys get your bridesmaids since my ideas are apparently not good enough for you guys. Honestly I think it seems like a lot of you are stuck up. 
    I did in the very first post. But, we know trolls don't read, so there you go.

I got my MOH concert tickets for our favorite band. I treated her to dinner before the show.

For my BM who loves the beach, I got her a beach bag, this yoga mat no sand thing that goes under your towel, and a pair of sunglasses that are very her. 

For my BM who was 2 months from moving across country, I got a gift card to BB&B to help set up the new place.

For my BM who was having some financial stress, I got a target gift card and treated her to a dinner out. She loves going out, and I know it was something she was missing during that layoff. 

So, if any of your BMs are the exact same people that were in my wedding, that should be helpful. Otherwise, shop for the actual people in your wedding instead of getting some generic garbage. 
  • OP, I think your idea for your Mom and your FI's idea for his Mom are great. Those are exactly the kind of thoughtful gifts we are talking about. They have meaning for the recipients!
  • OP, I think your idea for your Mom and your FI's idea for his Mom are great. Those are exactly the kind of thoughtful gifts we are talking about. They have meaning for the recipients!
    Exactly, those gifts are thoughtful and have meaning. A mug with someone's name on it and your wedding date are the opposite. 

We gave my parents and my MIL a frame with some of our wedding pictures in them as their gift. They display the frame proudly because it's a lovely gift. 
  • We got both of our parents and grandparents photo books of wedding pictures when we got our pictures back. 

Honestly, I didn't get my girls gifts (which I definitely regret, it really wasn't something I thought about at all and wasn't super active on here until after our wedding).  However, they did not have any expenses (we paid for dresses, hotels, hair/makeup, etc).  I wrote them all thank you letters. 

Since mine, I've been in a few weddings and have received:

1) all bridesmaids go a pint glass - I use it, but not a great gift

2) all bridesmaids got a small makeup bag with a bunch of cheap bangly bracelets, lip gloss, etc.  I don't wear bracelets and don't wear lip gloss....so not a great gift

3) all bridesmaids got a cheap shitty white lace scarf "for pictures" because it was like 20 degrees outside and a cheap shitty empty frame with a note "i'll send a picture of us after the wedding!" The scarf is ugly and impractical and I don't have pictures in my house - both of these were shitty gifts

I wouldn't have been upset with no gifts but if they were going to give them, I would have liked a gift card for a massage, or a restaurant, or even target.  That would have been thoughtful for me, because I love doing those things but hate spending money to do it. 

• I'm trying to figure out what else needs to be broached to achieve a full fledged one poster BINGO.  We have not been asked about bridal party transportation.  I have to wonder what will transpire at any shower or bachelorette party.  

knottieffd308519aec5b27if you want to know whether your mom will want to wear a robe, ASK HER.  I believe 90% of these "problems" stem from a lack of direct communication between involved parties.  
    I suggest a long sleeved robe for your sister.  The better to conceal those nasty tattoos.

How has the introduction issue at the reception been resolved?  You mentioned a DJ doing them.  You also said you were having a black tie reception.  Are you having a band?  Is your ceremony in the afternoon?  When exactly is this wedding?
  • MobKaz said:
    I'm trying to figure out what else needs to be broached to achieve a full fledged one poster BINGO.  We have not been asked about bridal party transportation.  I have to wonder what will transpire at any shower or bachelorette party.  

knottieffd308519aec5b27, if you want to know whether your mom will want to wear a robe, ASK HER.  I believe 90% of these "problems" stem from a lack of direct communication between involved parties.  
    I suggest a long sleeved robe for your sister.  The better to conceal those nasty tattoos.

How has the introduction issue at the reception been resolved?  You mentioned a DJ doing them.  You also said you were having a black tie reception.  Are you having a band?  Is your ceremony in the afternoon?  When exactly is this wedding?
    The introduction issue has not be resolved. We are having a dj for the wedding. He is very nice and was recommended by our venue. Our ceremony is at 4:30 and it is in July at a hotel. I just hosted a bridal shower for my FSIL and it was very beautiful and everyone had a great time. 
  • MobKaz said:
    I'm trying to figure out what else needs to be broached to achieve a full fledged one poster BINGO.  We have not been asked about bridal party transportation.  I have to wonder what will transpire at any shower or bachelorette party.  

knottieffd308519aec5b27, if you want to know whether your mom will want to wear a robe, ASK HER.  I believe 90% of these "problems" stem from a lack of direct communication between involved parties.  

The introduction issue has not be resolved. We are having a dj for the wedding. He is very nice and was recommended by our venue. Our ceremony is at 4:30 and it is in July at a hotel. I just hosted a bridal shower for my FSIL and it was very beautiful and everyone had a great time. 
    So you are no longer having a black tie wedding.  
    This is a whole lotta drama, and minutia,  with 5 months yet to go.
  • I got my MOH a piece of jewelry I knew she was eyeing. The best man, we got him a new wallet. 

I shopped for them like I'd shop for their birthdays. 
  • Less is more when it comes to WP gifts. Rather than a gift bag of useless trinkets that they'll have to get rid of ASAP, buy one nice thing for each person. And yes, they can be similar, as long as you know each person you are buying it for will like it.  For example, one bride gave each of us a pair of sandals (in different colors and the correct size) when I was in a WP. I had them for years until they wore out. 

Do not give anything with the date of your wedding on it. That date only means something to you.
  • This poor horse isn't coming back to life...  Robes are a prop, not for your BM, if they were, you'd be asking your BM what kind of Robe they don't have/want and the size, even if that means the $130 ultra plush one or the VS one in their preferred color.  Then on the rest, ask - are they the type that has tchotchke type cups all over their home, if yes, that's one thing, if not, better uses of your resources exist!