DIY Wedding Forum
Options

DIY Invites

I want to send my invitations with a wax seal but will the wax seal be enough to handle going through the mail? Or would I be better licking the seal and then stamping the wax seal?

Re: DIY Invites

• Options
    I would moisten the seal also, just to be sure.  If it's a lot of invitations, use the slightly damp sponge trick.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We sealed the envelope and then used a wax seal, I guess it was theoretically for decorations.

Make sure you take the invites to the post office to be hand cancelled
  • Options
    We sealed the envelope and then used a wax seal, I guess it was theoretically for decorations.

Make sure you take the invites to the post office to be hand cancelled
    This, make sure you get them priced out before you commit to this, it could add quite a bit to postage you may not be expecting. 

I agree that they should be sealed and then wax stamped, wax stamps don't tend to hold too tightly. 
  • Options
    The post office is going to be the bigger issue when dealing with wax seals.  Just the nature of the wax, they do tend to fall off unless you get the catch on the lip just right.  I'd use it on an inner envelope and not an outer envelope if given the option.  I'd also hand deliver as many invites as possible instead of going through the post office if you really want the effect to last until the guest opens up their invitation.  

Hand cancelling is one option when it comes to the PO, but since you're already going through the added expense, a better idea might be to put the invitation inside of a bubble mailer and pay the postage upgrade that way instead which will give a better chance of the wax seals staying AND the invitations arriving in a timely manner.  
  • Options
    Hand cancelling technically costs $.21 per envelope. However, most likely the post office person will give you the stamp and have you do it yourself (and not charge you)
  • Options
    I was looking for an answer to this question on the internet. I am glad to have found the answer on this forum.