Chit Chat

Wedding trends to avoid 2019

edited February 2019 in Chit Chat
I agree with 90% of this, the other 10% I don’t think were ever really trends.

https://www.vogue.com/article/wedding-trends-mistakes-to-avoid?fbclid=IwAR32mtn-oExcnS9B2c6qZnZVf8ZMq9VkP04uXja0U_0kAHzlxG3eCrCP4Rs

Article text is in spoiler 

37 Wedding Trend Mistakes to Avoid in 2019: Succulents, Family-Style Meals, and More

December 31, 2018 5:00 PM

Do you ever go to a wedding and think, I’ve seen all this before? The sugary pink color scheme feels like it was plucked straight out of a trend forecaster’s tired old report. The bride’s all-white bouquet looks like a giant golf ball. And the “greenery” draped across the table is getting in your way as you try to eat. Alas, these are all the tell-tale signs of a wedding trend gone astray. Admittedly, planning a wedding that feels timeless, contemporary, and fun all at once is no small feat. The trick to this expensive, and at times emotionally fraught, process is to sidestep obvious wedding trend mistakes. These blunders are the décor elements that will date your wedding in just a few years. They are the choices that will make you cringe—and that you’ll see at subsequent ceremonies again and again. But how exactly can you identify them, especially if you’re planning a wedding for this upcoming year? Speak to the experts, of course. Below, 14 event planners and industry veterans share 38 wedding trend mistakes to avoid in 2019.

Bad Hashtags
“We know, we know—this one's hard! Everyone wants a hashtag that represents them. But with that said, some of them can induce serious eye-rolls. So instead of reaching for an incongruous pun, keep it timeless and classic.” -Alison Laesser-Keck and Bryan Keck

Welcome Gifts at Destination Weddings
“I love clever and useful ‘welcome to our wedding’ gifts that greet guests in their hotel rooms when they arrive. Snacks, water, and sunscreen are all practical and charming. But a coffee mug with the bride and groom’s photo, or anything that’s not allowed to be carried onto an airplane, is just a waste.” -Marcy Blum

Unclear But Creatively Worded Dress Codes
“For formal weddings, I think the dress code should always read ‘Black Tie’ or ‘Formal Attire,’ not ‘Black Tie Optional’ or ‘Creative Black Tie.’ Most people will appreciate the clarity, and those who might do their own thing will do so regardless of what you write.” -Jung Lee

Ceremony “Circles”
“A large round ring adorned with flowers or greenery became the preferred backdrop for many outdoor, or boho-chic, weddings last year, as alternatives to arches. But I don’t think it will stand the test of time, as couples revert to more classic options.” -Laurie Arons

Geometric Ceremony Backdrops

“Geometric shapes have had their time in the sun, but the trend won’t last. You will be looking at your photos forever, so don’t date your wedding this way.” -Barb Walker

Oversized Bouquets
“Take a cue from Meghan Markle, and opt for a smaller, more classic bouquet. Large, wild, and basically too-big-to-hold bouquets are done. It’s time to see more refined, elegant, and simple arrangements that don’t overshadow the bride and her dress.” -Barb Walker

Flower Crowns
“Ok, I said it. The flower crown looks beautiful in certain settings and with certain styles, but I fear that for the bride and her wedding party it is often too much. Veer away from the floral halo and opt for a more standard look instead.”-Emily Campbell)

Monochromatic Bridesmaid Dresses
“Monochromatic bridesmaids’ attire is no longer the requirement. Instead, stick with a complementary palette, and let members of your bridal party wear different patterns, styles, hues, and designers that express their individual points of view.” -Rosemary Hattenbach

Shades of White Bridesmaid Dresses
“This trend will make your white wedding dress one of the crowd rather than the belle of the ball. It’s your big day—don’t be afraid to stand out!” -Bronson van Wyck

Coral Color Palettes
“Pantone may have named ‘Living Coral’ their color of the year, but please don’t name it the color of your wedding! The pinky peach hue will quickly feel outdated and make your bridesmaids look like they stepped off the set of a John Hughes movie.” -Bronson van Wyck

Multiple Dress Changes
“It seems like the trend is to change for every part of the wedding—the ceremony, the dinner, the dancing and cake, and sometimes the after party as well. But it impacts the quality of experience for the bride on her wedding day. It takes a minimum of fifteen minutes to change but almost always longer—especially if hair and makeup is being adjusted. Two dresses should be the absolute maximum, so that you don’t miss out on all the fun.” -Alejandra Poupel

Too Much Minimalism
“Ever since Meghan Markle wore her minimalist Givenchy dress, many dressmakers are proposing simpler designs. That, however, does not mean that this type of dress is the right one for you. Wear what fits your style and personality. After all, staying true to who you are is always in fashion.” -Alejandra Poupel

Overly Customized Dresses
“Customizations can offer a unique opportunity to incorporate elements of your personality and style into your gown, but it’s easy to get out of hand. You want to avoid redesigning your dress to the point where you are completely departing from its original silhouette. At the end of the day, you want to love nearly everything about the design you choose to buy in the first place. You don’t get married with the idea of wanting to change too much about the other person, right?” -Hayley Paige

Monogram Everything
“One trend mistake to avoid is overusing a monogram. If you are using a monogram, it’s important to do so sparingly and not at every touch point of the day. Keep the dance floor simple, and save your monogram for the invitation instead.” -Mindy Weiss

Out of Season Decor
“Although using trees and foliage in floral designs is increasingly popular this year, it does not fit every season or venue. In other words, always consider your location and date before incorporating a trend.” -Alejandra Poupel

Succulents and Cacti
“We’ve been seeing succulents and cacti for way too long. Instead, infuse your florals with pampas grass, proteas, and other textured grasses.” -Barb Walker

Asymmetrical Arrangements
“The asymmetrical look tends to draw the eye away from the proceedings and the bride. Instead of opting for this avant-garde look, choose curated flowers that create symmetry. They will be chic and timelessly elegant.” -Bryan Rafanelli

Fake Hedge Walls
“I realize that plastic green faux shrubs have been around for a while, but every time I see them I cringe. Perhaps, in a faraway setting where people cannot see (or smell) the plastic they can be useful. But I think couples should challenge themselves to avoid them.” -Emily Campbell

Greenery Garlands as Table Runners
“This trend is almost never executed properly, and creates a messy look on the table. It’s time to move on.” -Barb Walker

Silk Runners on Tables
“This is just beyond overdone. The whole soft and pretty look is on its way out.” -Alison Laesser-Keck and Bryan Keck)

Odd Napkin Placements
“Pinning napkins underneath plates, so that they drape over the edge of dining tables, is decidedly over. It’s not elegant to have to lift a plate to access your napkin, and they always look like laundry left out to dry. We’re not sure how this ever became a thing, but we’ll be thrilled to see it disappear.” -David Stark

Fringe
“I’m all fringed out… save the paper fringe for birthday parties!” -Rosemary Hattenbach

Blue and White Chinoiserie
“Blue and white chinoiserie was a star of last season. It might have a few more minutes in the spotlight, but personally, I’ve seen enough blue and white plates to last a lifetime. For couples beginning their planning in 2019, I’d opt for another look.” -Rosemary Hattenbach)

Neon Signs
“Neon signs are very cool, and I have had many couples use them in the past with great success. But I fear the concept is being overused and may be a trend that will look dated soon. Buyer beware!”-Emily Campbell

Plexiglass
“Let’s retire Plexiglass as a décor material unless there is truly a good reason to use it for its own properties. Too often, it’s used to imitate metal, glass mirror, or lacquer. But you know what? It’s not any of those things. It’s plastic, and it always looks like it.” -David Stark)

Overdoing Video Mapping
“Video mapping on wedding cakes has become a recent trend, but some things should be left as is. I’m all for using this dramatic technology on building façades, but not when it comes to something as small and as special as a wedding’s dessert.” -Alejandra Poupel

Never-Ending Skits
“Right now, it’s popular to have bridal parties prepare skits and short shows to perform during dinner. But I think it is a big mistake to have overly long, or unprofessional, components such as this. If this is a trend you really want at your wedding, ask your wedding planner or family members to get involved in the prep work to ensure that any such act is tasteful, executed properly, and of an appropriate length.” -Alejandra Poupel

“Guest” Performers
“Of course, if you have a truly talented family member or friend, then by all means ask them to do a number with the band. Unfortunately, some weddings have devolved into an amateur talent show, with a myriad (of not so amazing) guests on stage.” -Marcy Blum)

Open Seating
“Open seating is starting to become a trend and frankly I don’t think it works. You spend all year designing a beautiful tabletop and then guests go wild when they can sit wherever they want. I’ve seen people pull up chairs to add seats to tables and move place settings around. Avoid this all together and stick with place cards. I know it’s a lot of work to make a seating chart, but you’ll be glad you did it in the end.”-Mindy Weiss

Overdoing Dinner Choice
“Do not provide a “choice of” at dinner. It significantly slows down the flow of any event, and adds to the budget. As long as you have a “silent vegetarian” option on hand, you should be all set.” -Jung Lee

Family Style Food Service
“While this is a great idea for the rehearsal dinner or a brunch, it rarely works for the wedding itself. Large platters of food leave little room for centerpieces. Additionally, guests who are dressed up are not very happy about hoisting and passing platters to one another.” -Marcy Blum

Naked Cakes
“Save naked cakes for backyard barbecues and Pinterest boards, and up the ante on dessert. The more whimsy and wackiness the better.”-Bronson van Wyck

Ice Cream Sandwiches (and Other Messy Treats)
“While it can be so fun to treat your guests to nostalgic goodies late at night, ice-cream sandwiches are messy! Give them something that won’t make their hands all sticky or, if you’re really into ice cream, put together a sundae bar or milkshake station.” -Barb Walker

Food Trucks
“Late-night visits from your favorite food truck have started to feel like an expected feature rather than a welcome surprise. Instead, get creative when it comes to midnight sustenance.” -Bronson van Wyck

Bouquet Tosses
“It’s 2019. Your single girlfriends in search of a significant other are swiping through their phones rather than crossing their fingers to catch a bunch of blooms.” -Bronson van Wyck

Wedding Favors
“Take a pass on wedding favors. They’re an unnecessary expense that is often left behind. And after all, who wants another tchotchke to stuff into their junk drawer? If it's really about showing thanks, offer something that can be enjoyed in the moment to express your gratitude.” -Rosemary Hattenbach

Overly “Staging” Your Wedding
“Great photos are everything, yes, but don't turn your wedding into an overly posed editorial shoot. The day comes and goes so fast, you should enjoy every minute of it. Stay off your phone and immerse yourself in the moment instead. The best shots are the ones where you are having the time of your life.” -Alison Laesser-Keck and Bryan Keck

Re: Wedding trends to avoid 2019

• IMO most of these fall into the harmless-just-not-my-style category.  If the couple wants to use the color coral, serve a naked cake or wear flower crowns, I don't think it's hurting anybody.  (Obviously with budgeting as the caveat- if they're allotting all of their funds towards cacti and succulent decor and that's taking away from an open bar, then it's a problem!)
    I do heartily agree with the matching BM dresses, open seating, guest skits/performances and bouquet tosses as things to say good bye to!
  • Agreed that these are mostly harmless. But I do appreciate the appropriate advertising that this article is about actual trends and not just things that are tacky like a cash bar or whatever.

I will admit that we're not making any kind of distinct effort to avoid having a trendy wedding, so here are some very 2019 elements my wedding includes:
    - Succulents in the bouquet
    - Some geometric shape elements (mostly just the card box)
    - A donut wall
    - One of those horsehair organza dresses with the layers on the ballgown part
    - metallic accents
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed that these are mostly harmless. But I do appreciate the appropriate advertising that this article is about actual trends and not just things that are tacky like a cash bar or whatever.

I will admit that we're not making any kind of distinct effort to avoid having a trendy wedding, so here are some very 2019 elements my wedding includes:
    - A donut wall
    - metallic accents

If the wedding/shower/any nice event doesn't have a donut wall these days I'm disappointed.  I’m all for the food trends bc they’re usually awesome.

Btw I was at your lovely venue just last month (my kids can’t miss the train show).  You’re really getting close- so exciting! :) 
  • Personally, I’m a huge fan of succulents, mostly because it’s harder for me to kill them than other plants.
  • Most of these sound pretty harmless. Have to agree about open seating and the skits though. Not because I've been to weddings that had them but because I wouldn't want to be at a wedding that had either!
  • I don’t think anyone is saying that there is anything wrong with any of these. They are just trends, they come and go. This is just a list of things on the way out. 

• eileenrob said:
    Agreed that these are mostly harmless. But I do appreciate the appropriate advertising that this article is about actual trends and not just things that are tacky like a cash bar or whatever.

- A donut wall
    - metallic accents

If the wedding/shower/any nice event doesn't have a donut wall these days I'm disappointed.  I’m all for the food trends bc they’re usually awesome.

Btw I was at your lovely venue just last month (my kids can’t miss the train show).  You’re really getting close- so exciting! :) 

It is getting SO close! I also went to the train show this year - we did our venue walk through about a month ago. I can't believe how fast this year flew by!
  • maine7mob said:
    The problem with all of these "avoid these hideously passe trends or your event will be so 2018" articles is that the people who write them are in the event business, so they attend many events every single year. That's enough to make anyone pretty jaded.

But the vast majority of us only attend a few weddings or gala events each year, and we may go years between attending any. If you're in the "all my friends/kids' friends are getting married" phase, you're going to see a lot of the same stuff over and over in a short period of time. That's how trends in anything work. But if you are planning your own wedding or your kid's wedding, and you haven't been to a wedding in a while, you are unlikely to know whether something that appeals to you or your kid is overdone or really fresh, so you just choose the thing that appeals to you. Then you come to find out that succulents / flower crowns / donut walls are really overdone. But why does it matter? Did you enjoy your donut wall? Did your guests enjoy it? That's what counts! You don't have to be unique or even remotely special to get married.
    That's a great point!  I don't go to many weddings, so most of the stuff they talked about wasn't tiring or overdone to me.

I don't even know what a donut wall is, lol.  Much less seen one.  But the phrase invokes a vision of a lot of donuts.  So, how is that a bad thing, lol?

And really, as a guest, as long as I'm treated well, I'm rarely going to side-eye anything the couple has chosen.  If it's not my taste, that's fine.  It's not my wedding, it's theirs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like some things can be trendy and they may even be over-done but if you like them and they're a TREND but not rude who cares?   I don't own cold shoulder sweaters but if you like them who am I to care about them? 

The trends I care about going away are those that are done in the name of not putting guests as a priority at the reception. 
  • Totally agree with you. We should avoid these types of thing on wedding functions.
  • banana468 said:
    I feel like some things can be trendy and they may even be over-done but if you like them and they're a TREND but not rude who cares?   I don't own cold shoulder sweaters but if you like them who am I to care about them? 

The trends I care about going away are those that are done in the name of not putting guests as a priority at the reception. 
    Excellent point. I mean trends come and go. Fashion wise, I have a houndstooth hat that I bought in probably 2005? It's come and gone with trends so many times. I eventually donated it because I just wasn't wearing it, but it got trendy at least 3x before 2011