Wedding Woes

Classic Prudie and...omg

2»

Re: Classic Prudie and...omg

• maine7mob said:
    But why is it up to the LW to tell? It isn't her place. If we were talking about a crime or molestation or something that needed to be told, then anyone who knows could tell. But this? It's on the dad and the woman he had the affair with
    Um, the dad IS the LW.
  • ^^LOL, I missed that! If I were in his shoes, I would tell. But oddly enough, cousin marriage isn't illegal everywhere, though it is certainly unwise. 
  • edited March 2019
    I'm with short&sassy in the UO department. Unless there is a history of a genetic disease on the biodad's side I'd leave well enough alone. They weren't raised together and have no idea they are cousins. The likelihood of something happening biologically is small. Leave it be.
    The risk is in recessive or latent disorders that need two recessive gene carriers to manifest. More likely when the two parents are related. 
    I am aware of that which is why I said a genetic disease. The father would be aware, most likely, if that were the case.
    Sorry, I meant that if it’s recessive and has never been expressed the dad/that family may not even know. 
  • I'm with short&sassy in the UO department. Unless there is a history of a genetic disease on the biodad's side I'd leave well enough alone. They weren't raised together and have no idea they are cousins. The likelihood of something happening biologically is small. Leave it be.
    The risk is in recessive or latent disorders that need two recessive gene carriers to manifest. More likely when the two parents are related. 
    I am aware of that which is why I said a genetic disease. The father would be aware, most likely, if that were the case.
    Sorry, I meant that if it’s recessive and has never been expressed the dad/that family may not even know. 
    Exactly.   That's among the things that I've seen:

-With a good friend she only found out AFTER she had a loss at about 20 weeks that she and her DH are carriers for a recessive gene that leads to early fetal death.    

-With the situation in my family now, this is my MIL and FIL's 6th grandchild as well as for my SIL's parents.   Not one other person in the family ever expressed having to face what BIL and SIL are facing and yet HERE WE ARE.    I'm bringing this up because they aren't even related but are finding out about this genetic issue and now face genetic testing for themselves and possibly their children and maybe even MY children depending on who may be a carrier.   
  • Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    @banana468 I wish there was a laugh react around here... :D