Plus-Sized

Love my dress but hate how I look?

Shopping for dresses was always going to be the biggest struggle for me, as I’ve *never* looked good in a dress and generally don’t have a very flattering body.

I found a dress that I really loved (beautiful lace and train, fitted but very comfortable and light, super affordable) but wasn’t thrilled with how I looked from the waist up. I thought I could fix this in alterations but the options offered so far haven’t looked good at all.

I tried adding little cap sleeves (the first and third picture) but it still doesn’t quite work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could improve the look of this dress on me? (Yes I know I could lose weight, but I’ve been trying for years and just been stuck where I am.) Thank out for any advice!

Re: Love my dress but hate how I look?

• You look absolutely gorgeous! But you have to feel gorgeous, and that’s what matters most.

Maybe a corset or some kind of body shaper would help. If you’re self-conscious about your arms and shoulders, maybe a wrap.
  • I think you look stunning in that dress.  It fits great and is flattering.  But, like @OurWildKingdom said, it's important that you feel good and confident in your dress.

If you don't like the sleeve options, I also think a wrap is a great option.  I love the way they look with a formal gown.  My own wedding dress was strapless and I had a matching wrap made for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am sitting here scratching my head trying to figure out what it is that you don't like about yourself in that dress. You look gorgeous!
  • I don’t think you’re seeing what we are seeing. You look great! I personally like the strapless option myself. Will you be wearing a veil? I’m self conscious about my arms and my solution is a veil with extra volume. I love it and it’s made me feel so much more confident about the areas I’m not as keen on. 
    You look amazing in your dress. Go ahead and rock it!!
  • We're all our own worst critics.  You look great!  For what it's worth, I like the cap sleeve addition.