Wedding Invitations & Paper

Place Cards

For our wedding, I am looking at invitations, programs, thank you cards, and rsvp cards with red, black or silver. I have included some examples below. I would like everything to be the same design including our place cards, but my fiance wants to do place cards that are hockey themed (black & red for the New Jersey Devils which are our wedding colors). Side note: Our guestbook is going to be 1 hockey jersey and 1 baseball jersey. Our wedding is formal, but he loves sports so I figured the guestbook was no big deal as long as we did not turn our entire wedding into sports themed. Do you think it is okay to have the place cards something different than everything else? 

https://www.zazzle.com/25_black_red_floral_damask_wedding_programs-245116978362481484

https://www.zazzle.com/deep_red_rose_floral_wedding_invitation-256450575965864795

https://www.zazzle.com/romantic_red_rose_burgundy_elegant_wedding_invitation-256566591124870412

https://www.zazzle.com/red_rose_wedding_invitations-161098284495352057

Re: Place Cards

• How many guests are you inviting? You could always have hockey pucks as your place cards (and print circular sticky labels to affix to them that have folks' name and table assignment printed on them)

Or you could have table names instead of table numbers and have famous hockey/baseball/etc players on the names.

Or have a sports themed cake/cake toppers?

I would caution you to not make things too matchy-matchy or sporty in appearance so it doesn't end up looking like a kids birthday party. 
  • edited March 2019
    How many guests are you inviting? You could always have hockey pucks as your place cards (and print circular sticky labels to affix to them that have folks' name and table assignment printed on them)

Or you could have table names instead of table numbers and have famous hockey/baseball/etc players on the names.

Or have a sports themed cake/cake toppers?

I would caution you to not make things too matchy-matchy or sporty in appearance so it doesn't end up looking like a kids birthday party. 
    We have about 150-160 people. I had recommended having hockey pucks as place cards and he said no. I think he wants to do something like in the link below but as place cards. 

https://modernmamadesigns.wordpress.com/tag/hockey-ticket/
  • If you do table names, I would do table numbers in addition to the names. It's easier for guests to find their seats at sequentially numbered tables than by walking around the reception venue looking for the "Michael Jordan table," the "Wayne Gretzky table," and so on.
  • Jen4948 said:
    If you do table names, I would do table numbers in addition to the names. It's easier for guests to find their seats at sequentially numbered tables than by walking around the reception venue looking for the "Michael Jordan table," the "Wayne Gretzky table," and so on.
    We are doing place numbers that are silver numbers.
  • The ticket save the dates are really cute. If you were to do something like that as a place card, you would have to design it very carefully so the important information doesn’t get lost in all the details. 
  • The ticket theme for place cards is much too busy, in my opinion.  Those cards are meant to be small and simply identify the name of a guest and their table number.  Would he be willing to settle for a banner shaped place card?  The “reserved parking” idea would be cute as the table is the place each guest will “park” for the night.  Guests are clearly “fans” of the wedding couple!
  • MobKaz said:
    The ticket theme for place cards is much too busy, in my opinion.  Those cards are meant to be small and simply identify the name of a guest and their table number.  Would he be willing to settle for a banner shaped place card?  The “reserved parking” idea would be cute as the table is the place each guest will “park” for the night.  Guests are clearly “fans” of the wedding couple!
    I would have to see if he would. I was more concerned if it would look weird to have all of our other papers one design and the place cards something else. 
  • MobKaz said:
    The ticket theme for place cards is much too busy, in my opinion.  Those cards are meant to be small and simply identify the name of a guest and their table number.  Would he be willing to settle for a banner shaped place card?  The “reserved parking” idea would be cute as the table is the place each guest will “park” for the night.  Guests are clearly “fans” of the wedding couple!
    I would have to see if he would. I was more concerned if it would look weird to have all of our other papers one design and the place cards something else. 
    It won’t look weird because no one will be carrying around your invitations to compare to anything. 
  • MobKaz said:
    It won’t look weird because no one will be carrying around your invitations to compare to anything. 
    Since no one seems to think it will look weird to have them different than everything else, that is probably what we will go with. Initially, he wanted to do sports themed everything which I thought would give our guests the wrong impression because our wedding is formal and sports themed seemed the opposite of formal. He wanted to create everything from scratch instead of using a template, but he ran out time so we will probably go with the more formal invitations, rsvp cards, thank you notes, and programs and then the sports themed place cards.