Wedding Etiquette Forum

Attending as guest; happened to find dress that match groomsmen

i'm worried I might be committing a faux pas. My husband is a groomsman for an LA wedding that is outside at a marina and has an indoor reception at a hotel. It's a formal wedding, and I asked what colors the groomsmen were wearing to get an idea of whether they had a more classic dark formal dress code or if garden wedding coloring would be acceptable. The guys are wearing a light blue cummerbund. I managed to finally find a formal gown that fits and actually looks good on me, after a lot of frustrating searching. Unfortunately, it happens to be almost the exact same color as the cummerbunds the groomsmen are wearing. I thought this wasn't a big deal, but now I'm wondering if this breaks some kind of rule? Like I'm trying to look like the wedding party? Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Attending as guest; happened to find dress that match groomsmen

• i'm worried I might be committing a faux pas. My husband is a groomsman for an LA wedding that is outside at a marina and has an indoor reception at a hotel. It's a formal wedding, and I asked what colors the groomsmen were wearing to get an idea of whether they had a more classic dark formal dress code or if garden wedding coloring would be acceptable. The guys are wearing a light blue cummerbund. I managed to finally find a formal gown that fits and actually looks good on me, after a lot of frustrating searching. Unfortunately, it happens to be almost the exact same color as the cummerbunds the groomsmen are wearing. I thought this wasn't a big deal, but now I'm wondering if this breaks some kind of rule? Like I'm trying to look like the wedding party? Does anyone have any advice?
    Do you know whether the bridesmaids are wearing long dresses in that light blue color?  I think the only "rule" that still exists is not to wear white.  Any chance the dress comes in different colors?
  • The only rule is "no white" ... That said, it'd be bad form to wear a dress that matches the BM or the bride.  But a dress that coordinates with YH that you feel great wearing, go for it!
  • Not breaking a rule. 

If you like the dress and it's flattering go for it. 
  • If it comes in another color that you like, that might be a slightly better option.  Only because maybe  the bridesmaids will be in that color.  Even if that's true, I don't think that's a faux pas and it isn't a big deal.  And someone's dress matching the cummerbunds isn't a big deal either.  For example, if your H wasn't in the wedding party, you wouldn't even know what color the cummerbunds or (possibly) the wedding colors are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would probably ask someone what color the bridesmaid dresses are. No, it's not a faux pas to wear the same color, and it's not wrong to match the GM. I've worn the same color as the BMs before (unknowingly), and I felt a tad weird about it. 

Also, are cummerbunds making a comeback? I haven't seen them in a while, but I'm usually the last to know. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd just go ahead with the dress you found.