Attire & Accessories Forum

Will I be OVERDRESSED for my own wedding!

We have had to drastically change our wedding plans for out June 1st date due to financial issues. We have gone from a large wedding and reception to a private immediate family only ceremony and small dinner with no real reception. I have had my dress for a while and I absolutely love it! My concern is now my dress might be too much for a small wedding and dinner. Should I keep it or get a more simple dress, I am already so stressed with changing the wedding and I do not want to change the date.

Re: Will I be OVERDRESSED for my own wedding!

• edited April 2019
    Keep it. Don’t stress yourself out further by buying another dress.

BTW, that dress is gorgeous.
  • I've seen women that dressed up for a private courthouse ceremony. You only get one (or a few) chances to wear a wedding dress. Wear what you want.

Also, dinner is a real reception. The point is to host the people who attend, one way or the other. It doesn't have to have dancing or open bar to qualify as a reception. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    As long as you're hosting the dinner, you're good.  Pretty dress!
  • Wear your dress! You are a bride no matter how big the ceremony and reception are! Enjoy your day!
  • Whether the celebration is big or small, this is still your wedding day and it is still special. Go ahead and wear your beautiful dress.
  • Think of it this way - 1) You're the bride...  2) If you buy another dress, that's going to contribute to even greater financial stresses even if the dress is simple.  Enjoy the dress you have and recognize that you're going to love your pictures from now until eternity wearing a dress you love instead of one you settled for because of a fear of other people's perception.  Consider the feeling of had you not cut back on things because of finances and been stressed out the day of your wedding because you couldn't afford a single solitary thing in the room and were going into decades of debt for something you couldn't afford.  Enjoy the dress, it's already paid for, resale won't return the investment!
  • Thank you everyone, I feel a lot better. I do love this dress and I can't imagine wanting or wearing anything else
  • I concur with everyone else.  Even if the venue and other guests might be more casual, nobody is going to side-eye the bride wearing such a beautiful, formal gown.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Keep it! This is the one day you can be as extra as you want! And you can take some beautiful photos in a different scenery so that you have gorgeous photos to keep after!