Wedding Etiquette Forum

Day of Timeline

Our ceremony will be in the evening (4-5pm or so) and we are hosting dinner, will cut a cake, have the traditional dances (father/daughter, mother/son, couple's first), and have MOH and BM speeches. What time do you generally plan to do all of that? In what order?

Re: Day of Timeline

• Our ceremony will be in the evening (4-5pm or so) and we are hosting dinner, will cut a cake, have the traditional dances (father/daughter, mother/son, couple's first), and have MOH and BM speeches. What time do you generally plan to do all of that? In what order?
    I suggest you get some wedding planning books and start there.  You are all over these boards with questions, inconsistencies, budget and guest issues, and currently no venue.  

Start with your budget and guest list.  You need to determine what you can afford to properly host, without asking your guests to cover their bar tab.  You need to decide whether you are having an afternoon event with appetizers or an evening reception with dinner.  You need to find a venue that fits your budget and guest list without having to ask family or bridal party members to help you set up and clean up.
  • MobKaz said:
    Our ceremony will be in the evening (4-5pm or so) and we are hosting dinner, will cut a cake, have the traditional dances (father/daughter, mother/son, couple's first), and have MOH and BM speeches. What time do you generally plan to do all of that? In what order?
    I suggest you get some wedding planning books and start there.  You are all over these boards with questions, inconsistencies, budget and guest issues, and currently no venue.  

Start with your budget and guest list.  You need to determine what you can afford to properly host, without asking your guests to cover their bar tab.  You need to decide whether you are having an afternoon event with appetizers or an evening reception with dinner.  You need to find a venue that fits your budget and guest list without having to ask family or bridal party members to help you set up and clean up.
    Again, as I said on various other posts, if you don't have anything constructive to say then please keep your rude comments to yourself. If I choose to post on these forums asking for advice, then I may do so because that is
  • Your Ceremony & Reception Venue, Officiant, along with Caterer and DJ will dictate a lot of the timeline.  SNS, they have a way of running things that are efficient!  For example, finish the ceremony and receiving line, walk into the reception, immediately cut the cake so your caterer can start chopping it up so it's served as your guests are finishing their meals to keep the flow of the event happening with people not forced to wait or leave before cake is served because it took so long.  Some couples walk in, immediately do their First dance, go cut the cake, sit down and eat, while eating, toasts are given, and as soon as the first table is done eating, the DJ takes over keeping the volume down such that people in the room don't need to yell or feel like they've got to hurry up to take off because the DJ is obnoxiously loud.  
  • We're you just posting that you were unsure if you were even serving a dinner? 

This was our timeline: 

Reception introductions 
    First dance 
    Toasts (we only did 2) 
    Dinner 

We did not do a cake cutting. Also, we combined our parent dances, and I danced with my dad at the same time my H danced with his mom. I think we did that after dinner and before dessert.