Wedding Etiquette Forum

Flowers

So we are having problems with our florist. She did the flowers for my brother's wedding and some of the white roses were already turning brown on the day of the wedding and she told us she cut them the night before so that shouldn't happen. I was going to have corsages for the mothers and boutonnieres for the fathers that were white roses that way no matter what they wore the flowers would match them. Because of this problem I have decided against any white flowers because the florist claims that's what happens with white flowers. Instead, I am picking flowers that will match the outfits they are wearing. My MIL is wearing purple so I sent her some pretty corsages and we agreed on the one picture below. My mom has not picked her dress yet (she decided to get a new dress), but she wants purple and blue orchids for hers. I had that for one of my proms and she loved it. I'm now trying to figure out the boutonnieres. My mom thinks my dad should match me since he is walking me down the aisle. I will have red roses with baby's breath. I think my dad should match my mom though. Who does the father of the groom normally match? As for my FIL, we don't know what he is wearing. My fiancé's parents are divorced so they will not match. My fiancé is supposed to be finding out what his dad plans on wearing so I can pick a boutonniere out for him to wear. If he doesn't find out, what would you suggest I have him wear?

Mother of the Groom 

Mother of the bride 

Image result for purple and blue orchid corsage

Re: Flowers

• I've generally seen all the bouts for GMs, fathers, grandfathers, etc of the same style, but slightly different in color or size. Similarly, the women's corsages would be similar but slightly varied, as in larger for mothers than grandmothers. All the flowers would "match" all the other flowers. I've never seen parents or anyone have flowers that varied wildly from the others. 

If your bother had a bad experience with this florist, why are you using the same one? It seems like you're setting yourself up for disappointment to use someone you know does a bad job
    I'm wondering the same. Why use this same florist?? 

I have no advice on the OP, because I did not do corsages or boutonnieres. 
  • edited April 2019
    We are using the same florist since our wedding is only 3 months away and we have priced out other ones and they are way over budget. My fiancé also isn't willing to change florist because he thinks anyone we would find now would charge us more since are wedding is 3 months away.  
  • Many decades ago, I had a wedding bouquet of white and coral roses. The petals of the white roses were browned at the edge - this from a florist who refused to add lily of the valley to my (May wedding) bouquet because he said they would turn brown. I was very disappointed.

Checking my pic from my daughter's wedding, the groom wore an small orange calla lily which matched some of the larger callas in my daughter's bouquet. The fathers wore green orchids, just because daughter likes green orchids. The MOG and I wore maroon speckled orchids. 

I would base your dad's bout on whatever color he is wearing. A red rose would look fine with most suit colors - navy, grey, black, tan. TBH, I'm not a fan of dyed flowers, so I may be a bit prejudiced against the blue orchids.

• Many decades ago, I had a wedding bouquet of white and coral roses. The petals of the white roses were browned at the edge - this from a florist who refused to add lily of the valley to my (May wedding) bouquet because he said they would turn brown. I was very disappointed.

Checking my pic from my daughter's wedding, the groom wore an small orange calla lily which matched some of the larger callas in my daughter's bouquet. The fathers wore green orchids, just because daughter likes green orchids. The MOG and I wore maroon speckled orchids. 

I would base your dad's bout on whatever color he is wearing. A red rose would look fine with most suit colors - navy, grey, black, tan. TBH, I'm not a fan of dyed flowers, so I may be a bit prejudiced against the blue orchids.

My dad is wearing a grey tux, vest and tie with white shirt so anything flower would match him. My mom said she wants different flowers from everyone because she wants to be her own person and feels that if she wears the same flowers as my MIL that she isn't an individual. 

My dad is wearing a grey tux, vest and tie with white shirt so anything flower would match him. My mom said she wants different flowers from everyone because she wants to be her own person and feels that if she wears the same flowers as my MIL that she isn't an individual. 
    I think that’s asking way too much (or reading too much) into a flower, but okay. 

Have the fathers match the groomsmen and let the mothers have whatever they want. No need to coordinate beyond that. 
  • Man, your mom is really placing a lot of importance on being the "only one with X". Or Y. Or Z. Or AA. 

Maybe you can use the color you invent for her dress for her corsage as well?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • First - you can walk into a florist and get the same quote for an event next week as you will for two months from now unless there's a price change for your particular date (i.e. Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.), the other florists may have been more expensive, however what level is the product you'd be getting vs. the one who banged around the white flowers (there's only two reasons white flowers brown that quickly, one not given proper care/beat up, or they froze, the question is did that happen before or after your florist dropped off the flowers  - i.e. if your Brother/SIL weren't handling them with kid gloves and just drop-setting them down, etc.).  IMO, if you weren't happy with the florist's work for your brother's wedding, change now.  You shouldn't have to sacrifice white roses if that was your original theme.  If you've used them in the past and been fine, then you've got some decisions to make.  

My Dad's bout matched the rest of the guys and my Mom and MIL had the same corsage.  So, I'd say just have the guys matching the GM/FI and make life easy on your florist whomever you ultimately decide to go with.  
  • edited April 2019
    I didn't mind having the same corsage at the MOG. No one confused us. I think the only one who really cared about the flowers was my daughter.

Your original question was whether your dad's bout should match your flowers or your mom's. If it's really important to your mom, I'd defer to her request to match your dad's bout to your flowers. 

• edited April 2019
    MesmrEwe said:
    First - you can walk into a florist and get the same quote for an event next week as you will for two months from now unless there's a price change for your particular date (i.e. Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.), the other florists may have been more expensive, however what level is the product you'd be getting vs. the one who banged around the white flowers (there's only two reasons white flowers brown that quickly, one not given proper care/beat up, or they froze, the question is did that happen before or after your florist dropped off the flowers  - i.e. if your Brother/SIL weren't handling them with kid gloves and just drop-setting them down, etc.).  IMO, if you weren't happy with the florist's work for your brother's wedding, change now.  You shouldn't have to sacrifice white roses if that was your original theme.  If you've used them in the past and been fine, then you've got some decisions to make.  

My Dad's bout matched the rest of the guys and my Mom and MIL had the same corsage.  So, I'd say just have the guys matching the GM/FI and make life easy on your florist whomever you ultimately decide to go with.  
    I've never used white roses before. Most of the flowers for my wedding will be red roses (centerpieces, decorations at the ceremony, my flowers, bridemaids/groomswoman's flowers, my fiancé's bout, and the groomsmen/brideman's bouts.) I had wanted the parents to also have red, but the red won't match the dress my MIL picked out so I was going to white roses. When I got to the church for my brother's wedding no one even knew where their flowers were. The guys didn't get their bouts until about 2 minutes before walking down the aisle. The pastor had to run to the front of the church and grab them. My one grandmother didn't get hers and my other grandmother had to race around to find hers. The other bridesmaid and I found ours after the bride told us where the florist put them and they were in vases with water so we grabbed the vases and the bride's was also in a vase. The mothers flowers were sitting on the stage of the church as well so they grabbed theirs. The flowers had been sitting out for hours at room temp which is part of the reason I think they started to turn down. I talked to another florist and she said the place my current florist gets flowers gives "second" flowers which are close to death. She also said the price our florist quoted us would be nearly impossible to do unless the flowers were close to dead. My current florist told me today when I asked her about pricing of the flowers said we were welcome to look for a different florist. Her whole attitude with me has changed his my brother's wedding because one of my parents' long time friends happens to be her ex-boyfriend and he was at the wedding. She cornered my mom wanting to know how she knew him and the ex told my dad that she was glaring at his wife all night. Mind you their breakup had to be several years ago because they have both been married now to their spouses for like 5 years. 
  • Man, your mom is really placing a lot of importance on being the "only one with X". Or Y. Or Z. Or AA. 

Maybe you can use the color you invent for her dress for her corsage as well?

I don't know why it is so important to her. But I definitely laughed at the inventing a new color because she is acting so ridiculous. 
  • MesmrEwe said:
    First - you can walk into a florist and get the same quote for an event next week as you will for two months from now unless there's a price change for your particular date (i.e. Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc.), the other florists may have been more expensive, however what level is the product you'd be getting vs. the one who banged around the white flowers (there's only two reasons white flowers brown that quickly, one not given proper care/beat up, or they froze, the question is did that happen before or after your florist dropped off the flowers  - i.e. if your Brother/SIL weren't handling them with kid gloves and just drop-setting them down, etc.).  IMO, if you weren't happy with the florist's work for your brother's wedding, change now.  You shouldn't have to sacrifice white roses if that was your original theme.  If you've used them in the past and been fine, then you've got some decisions to make.  

I've never used white roses before. Most of the flowers for my wedding will be red roses (centerpieces, decorations at the ceremony, my flowers, bridemaids/groomswoman's flowers, my fiancé's bout, and the groomsmen/brideman's bouts.) I had wanted the parents to also have red, but the red won't match the dress my MIL picked out so I was going to white roses. When I got to the church for my brother's wedding no one even knew where their flowers were. The guys didn't get their bouts until about 2 minutes before walking down the aisle. The pastor had to run to the front of the church and grab them. My one grandmother didn't get hers and my other grandmother had to race around to find hers. The other bridesmaid and I found ours after the bride told us where the florist put them and they were in vases with water so we grabbed the vases and the bride's was also in a vase. The mothers flowers were sitting on the stage of the church as well so they grabbed theirs. The flowers had been sitting out for hours at room temp which is part of the reason I think they started to turn down. I talked to another florist and she said the place my current florist gets flowers gives "second" flowers which are close to death. She also said the price our florist quoted us would be nearly impossible to do unless the flowers were close to dead. My current florist told me today when I asked her about pricing of the flowers said we were welcome to look for a different florist. Her whole attitude with me has changed his my brother's wedding because one of my parents' long time friends happens to be her ex-boyfriend and he was at the wedding. She cornered my mom wanting to know how she knew him and the ex told my dad that she was glaring at his wife all night. Mind you their breakup had to be several years ago because they have both been married now to their spouses for like 5 years. 
    And you are going to PAY this person to deal with their drama? 

I believe Sam's club does flowers. Sounds like you'd be better off DIYing this. 
    I agree.  If it's in your budget, I'd use a different florist.  While I would take a competitor's words with a grain of salt, it does ring potentially true considering what happened to the flowers at your brother's wedding.  Plus the disorganization.

The "exes"/florist drama reminded me of my own wedding, lol.  Though thankfully without the drama.  We picked our florist because my stepbrother's longtime g/f worked for them.  Except then they broke up a few months prior to the event!  I was a little worried (eek).  But everything was fine.  It was a sad, but not an angry breakup, and they were still on friendly terms.  On the day of, she was still the one who brought all the flowers and decorated.  I was also glad she felt comfortable staying for the ceremony and a little bit into the cocktail hour (she was invited).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just did my own boutonnières and corsages, and my mom did our altar arrangements. 

Don’t rule out artificial flowers. Then you don’t have to worry about the edges turning brown or any other issues with the flowers not holding up. 
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2019
    MesmrEwe said:

Seeing the ex AFTER they've already delivered the flowers as their excuse for why the flowers sucked, SNS... NO!  

I also agree, take the other florist's words with a grain of salt and I wouldn't be using them because of talk like that (how would they truly KNOW they're using a specific supplier)..  

Yes, Sam's does wedding flowers, even FTD does them as well...  I've used them multiple times for different events (My parent's 50th and then each year for end of the year teacher gifts) and have had good luck, even with the white roses for my parent's 50th centerpieces...

And yes, find a new florist ASAP... Y'all are going to have enough drama to deal with on your wedding day, you don't need to deal with the florist who needs a therapist...
  • MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:

Seeing the ex AFTER they've already delivered the flowers as their excuse for why the flowers sucked, SNS... NO!  

I also agree, take the other florist's words with a grain of salt and I wouldn't be using them because of talk like that (how would they truly KNOW they're using a specific supplier)..  

Yes, Sam's does wedding flowers, even FTD does them as well...  I've used them multiple times for different events (My parent's 50th and then each year for end of the year teacher gifts) and have had good luck, even with the white roses for my parent's 50th centerpieces...

And yes, find a new florist ASAP... Y'all are going to have enough drama to deal with on your wedding day, you don't need to deal with the florist who needs a therapist...
    I thought you were going to say "deal with this mom who needs a therapist".  Between the FI once again being unwilling to help/compromise, and this parent who has the most insane hang-ups, I am just interested to see that this wedding is still going forward.  I do not think there has been ONE area, whether small or large, that has not incurred ridiculous drama.  I cannot wait for the RSVP thread!

OP, On another post, you said, "Our decorator/florist won't do our signs for us since we don't want to order them through Zazzle."  On your post about invitations and such, that is the website from which you said you were getting all your invitation and reception needs.  Your posts are curious, to say the least.
  • This is the same bride whose florist won't do her signs unless she uses Zazzle? Why pay a vendor who is causing unnecessary aggravation?

• MobKaz said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:

I thought you were going to say "deal with this mom who needs a therapist".  Between the FI once again being unwilling to help/compromise, and this parent who has the most insane hang-ups, I am just interested to see that this wedding is still going forward.  I do not think there has been ONE area, whether small or large, that has not incurred ridiculous drama.  I cannot wait for the RSVP thread!

OP, On another post, you said, "Our decorator/florist won't do our signs for us since we don't want to order them through Zazzle."  On your post about invitations and such, that is the website from which you said you were getting all your invitation and reception needs.  Your posts are curious, to say the least.
    After my brother had problems with Zazzle, we decided to get our stuff somewhere else.
  • MobKaz said:
    MesmrEwe said:
    MesmrEwe said:

After my brother had problems with Zazzle, we decided to get our stuff somewhere else.
    Your brother also had problems with the florist. Ditch this vendor.
    This is the best bit of advice when it comes to this florist/vendor...